HD800 VS HD800S
Apr 27, 2021 at 9:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

stx1998

New Head-Fier
I'm consider buying a used hd800. Anyone can give me some valuable advise on choosing between hd800 and hd800s? (I use parametric EQ extensively, so frequency response is not a concern of mine.

Apr 27, 2021 at 11:53 PM Post #2 of 11
I'm consider buying a used hd800. Anyone can give me some valuable advise on choosing between hd800 and hd800s? (I use parametric EQ extensively, so frequency response is not a concern of mine.
If you're comfortable with EQ-ing (and possibly modding down the track) you'll be fine with the HD800, and you'll have a few hundred bucks spare.

Dec 3, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #4 of 11
Most like the S better because the treble goes down easier.

If you are a bass purist like me (proper damping, fast, impact, deep when called on). The 800 is better. It doesn't go down as low as the S, but damping and THD is better, and it EQ's bass under 50 Hz better than the S. Most prefer the slightly sloppy S better.

I have heard the S on 4 amps - 3 prime SS and 1 on my over built BHCs OTL amp. It sounds better on the OTL. I have not heard the 800 on an OTL but wager it would be better esp in the bass than the S...

Dec 3, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #5 of 11
Most like the S better because the treble goes down easier.

If you are a bass purist like me (proper damping, fast, impact, deep when called on). The 800 is better. It doesn't go down as low as the S, but damping and THD is better, and it EQ's bass under 50 Hz better than the S. Most prefer the slightly sloppy S better.

I have heard the S on 4 amps - 3 prime SS and 1 on my over built BHCs OTL amp. It sounds better on the OTL. I have not heard the 800 on an OTL but wager it would be better esp in the bass than the S...
I agree with your assessment and can confirm that the 800 with an OTL sounds very nice, especially in the bass where the 800 benefits a bit from added presence and a bit more distortion. It still maintains its clean and fast bass characteristics. Conversely the 800S, with it's higher distortion and higher amount of bass to begin with, can sound a bit more muddy and texture-less than the 800 on an OTL.

Dec 5, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #7 of 11
I have an EQ 800 and had a chance to listen to 800s, unfortunately not A-Bing. From my impression, an EQ 800 is quite comparable. It however also depends on if you want a balanced cable as a 800s will come with that as well. If you don't need it the just get an 800 but if you do then it could be more value to get the 800s depending the price difference.

Dec 13, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #8 of 11
The OG HD800 remains the best platform for physical modification out of all HD800 series headphones. Heck, it's possibly the best mod platform of all headphones period! The only reason to buy anything other than a second-hand HD800 is if you do not want to mod the headphone. However, the HD800 series are simply not a good choice if you are unwilling to mod. There are headphones without the flaws of the HD800 which represent better value out of the box.

Dec 13, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #9 of 11
I have an EQ 800 and had a chance to listen to 800s, unfortunately not A-Bing. From my impression, an EQ 800 is quite comparable. It however also depends on if you want a balanced cable as a 800s will come with that as well. If you don't need it the just get an 800 but if you do then it could be more value to get the 800s depending the price difference.
Can't wait for your review.

Oct 13, 2023 at 8:09 PM Post #10 of 11
haven't try 800S, but using HD800 now... enjoy it very much... got to use proper amplifier, i am using speaker tube amplifier SET and direct the speaker out to XLR headphone out....and DIY PCM63-Y Grade... so far my end game setup...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back