HD800 vs DX1000
Jul 6, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #76 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeoVibe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[...]Soundinista, I think this it finally, another DX1000+RPX33 combo
biggrin.gif

[...]my personnal opinion on the HD-600 is that no matter the recording and gear associated, they are simply incapable of conveying a feeling of happiness, joy, lightness, airiness, euphory, joy de vivre...

[...]I won't ask if this is the case with the DX1000, it seems to be widely accepted that they're all about the fun-factor.

cheers eveyone

NeoVibe, having lived with the DX1000 for about two years now, I'm constantly amazed by these phones -- in a way that used to defy description. Coming to them after hours of listening to the D7000 and the HD650 -- the two most "neutral" phones I've known -- I always find something that is...say, on the surprising end of neutrality. I've had great difficulty describing what's so disarming, so seductive about these phones that lets them deviate ever so subtly from "neutrality" while still sounding like top-notch full-range speakers. Yeah!... It must be the fact that they "bend" neutrality just enough to convey that "feeling of happiness, joy, lightness, airiness, euphory, joy de vivre...". You've nailed it!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
icon10.gif

Let us have those impressions!
beerchug.gif

Jul 7, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #78 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundinista /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NeoVibe, having lived with the DX1000 for about two years now, I'm constantly amazed by these phones -- in a way that used to defy description. Coming to them after hours of listening to the D7000 and the HD650 -- the two most "neutral" phones I've known -- I always find something that is...say, on the surprising end of neutrality. I've had great difficulty describing what's so disarming, so seductive about these phones that lets them deviate ever so subtly from "neutrality" while still sounding like top-notch full-range speakers. Yeah!... It must be the fact that they "bend" neutrality just enough to convey that "feeling of happiness, joy, lightness, airiness, euphory, joy de vivre...". You've nailed it!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
icon10.gif

Let us have those impressions!
beerchug.gif

The HD650s are neutral to you? I have not heard the D7000s but I do own a D5000s and if They sound anything alike then the D7000s are strong in bass.

This must mean that the DX1000 are really bass-heavy!

Jul 7, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #79 of 98
Actually I thought the D5000 had slightly more bass emphasis than the DX1000, not less.

Jul 7, 2009 at 1:25 PM Post #80 of 98
I have to agree with Skylab. The D5000s have more bass. But the DX1000s extend lower and are much more controlled. I prefer the DX1000's bass to the D5000's because it provides a more accurate representation, although still being in the warm and bassy side of things. Really FUN headphones that I enjoy listening to for hours (even out of a receiver!).

Jul 7, 2009 at 1:29 PM Post #81 of 98
Well described, Possede. The DX1000 have DEEPER bass, but not more. One of the most beguiling things about the DX1000 is the iron-fisted control it has over bass. This is unparalleled in my headphone experience. The D5000 bass, which i generally liked, seems downright sloppy when compared with the DX1000's.

Jul 7, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #82 of 98
Yes I would say the DX 1000 have the STRONGEST bass while yet keeping it under control. But it doesn´t have the tightest and thus the most detailed bass ever. It´s a bit slower then the 900 which is quite a bit faster then my speakers probably the reason. There was tendencies to one note bass on the DX 1000 as but it was a glorious note so that didn´t hurt them much
wink.gif

I didn´t find it going particularly low either. Similar to markl modded D5000, K701 I want to remember but far from the Pro 900 extension. But as for DX 1000 I found myself not needing the LFE at all. I sometimes like it to a varying degree on my other headphones to get a fuller sound. With the DX 1000 it gets over full
smily_headphones1.gif
. The only headphones that sound about as powerful as my speakers. Looses out in sensitivity perhaps but as mentioned take it back with the joy take me to a better world factor for classical, jazz while being totally incompatible with some music.

But I do understand why some would feel they are bass head cans. Their very significative treble roll off doesn´t help. But it´s rather due to that than the bass and mid range being to strong. Few headphones make bass drums, bass guitars and such better. Other headphones make you want to cry. The DX 1000 seldom sound that beautiful though but it´s overrated feeling depressed
wink.gif

Jul 8, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #83 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well described, Possede. The DX1000 have DEEPER bass, but not more. One of the most beguiling things about the DX1000 is the iron-fisted control it has over bass. This is unparalleled in my headphone experience. The D5000 bass, which i generally liked, seems downright sloppy when compared with the DX1000's.

Well then I must make my best effort to get a chance to audition the DX1000 in near the future.

And yes, you are right about the D5000 (stock); the bass is so overwhelming that it sounds sloppy. I thought the HD650 was overwhelming but the D5000 make the HD650 sounds very neutral/flat.

Jul 21, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #85 of 98
This DX1000 must be something special. I want to hear it.

Jul 21, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #87 of 98
It is a current production model, yes.

Oct 17, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #89 of 98
I want to pump the thread up because I love my dx1000 soooo much.I now own both  HD800 and DX1000,I agree with this review 100%.
Just want to tell someone who want to find a great can with not so high price.The DX1000 ,is to me,worth every cent you spend(esp when u buy one used)

About the Bass subject of HD800 :With some powerful tube amps and recabling you can have more bass from HD800 (I am quite a basshead,but afterall the bass of HD800 is decent enough to make me feel ok.)      

Feb 28, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #90 of 98
I decided to bump this thread because it was a very enjoyable and informative read and I finally managed to buy a second-hand pair from a fellow head-fier. I have been reading about those DX1000 for quite while and always felt they were something special about them. I have accumulated quite few headphones and IEMs and and I am always surprised by how fun and enjoyable the JVC FX500 are (the FX 700 are supposed to be even better and will be my next purchase). I believe JVC has very talented among their workforce and I hope the DX1000 won't dissapoint.....:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back