HD800 sound utter average?
Jan 1, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #31 of 53
Would I use L and R output into a dac then into another amp, or optical output?

Sorry, my mistake, the left right out into the amp. 

Here's thread about what amps work well with the HD 800:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/660817/whats-the-best-amp-for-hd800

Jan 1, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #32 of 53
Maybe this has been asked and answered, but have you configured the x7 for high impedance cans through its control panel? I'm away from my comouter so I can send a screen shot.

As an x7 and former magni owner, I would suggest you disregard the suggestions to pick up a magni to handle the amping. The x7 is plenty capable, but people who have never tried it make assumptions based on the name on the label

Jan 1, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #33 of 53
Maybe this has been asked and answered, but have you configured the x7 for high impedance cans through its control panel? I'm away from my comouter so I can send a screen shot.

As an x7 and former magni owner, I would suggest you disregard the suggestions to pick up a magni to handle the amping. The x7 is plenty capable, but people who have never tried it make assumptions based on the name on the label

No we're making assumptions based on what he told us, which was his X7 seemed underpowered for his HD800's. 

Jan 1, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #34 of 53
An HD-800 for gaming and movies?
Little bit of overkill?
biggrin.gif

Go to a meet, listen to some other headphones.
I'm sure you'll find a set that meets your needs better.
And most likely at a much lower cost.

Jan 1, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #35 of 53
No we're making assumptions based on what he told us, which was his X7 seemed underpowered for his HD800's. 

Right, but people are suggesting the magni would do better than the x7, which in my own experience and testing is not true. The x7 is very very good, comparable at least to my ican and much more capable driver than my lyr2 (granted these are for my dt990 and 400s, with other cans ymmv)

Jan 1, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #36 of 53
Little bit of overkill?
biggrin.gif

Not really overkill if you want the best sound for gaming and movies-gamers like a big soundstage and HD800 is pretty much consensus best soundstage for under $2000.................so buying an HD800 for gaming is just as if not more rational as buying one for music. 

Jan 1, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #37 of 53
Right, but people are suggesting the magni would do better than the x7, which in my own experience and testing is not true. There, but if that doesn't work t x7 is very very good, comparable at least to my ican and much more capable driver than my lyr2 (granted these are for my dt990 and 400s, with other cans ymmv)

For one thing, it was suggested that he try a Magni 2 (Someone else suggested it, not me) which is more powerful than the Magni, another thing, the HD800 is a different headphone than the  DT990 and the 400S and as we've all found out the hard way impedance stats don't always pan out as expected. 

It's a good idea though to try your software settings just to make sure but if that doesn't work it may be better to look up the HD800 amp thread and listen to HD800 owners who've gotten good results from various amps.

Jan 1, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #38 of 53
Would I use L and R output into a dac then into another amp, or optical output?

Virtual surround sound cannot be output via Line Out on the X7 at the moment. Perhaps in a future software/firmware update you can but not at the moment. That is why I said to use the Headphone output on the front.

The advice you are getting from this thread is awful with people seriously saying the Magni 2 is bad. Just contact me via PM and I'll help or ask on /r/Headphones on reddit.

Jan 1, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #39 of 53

Not really overkill if you want the best sound for gaming and movies-gamers like a big soundstage and HD800 is pretty much consensus best soundstage for under $2000.................so buying an HD800 for gaming is just as if not more rational as buying one for music. 

I made it a point to listen to hd-800's at a couple of meets. Matching amps is pretty important.
For me at least, the hd-800 didn't wow me. It sounded good with the right amp, but not $$$$
good. There are a lot of great headphones out there that would get the job done for the OP
and don't cost $$$$. That's why I said going to a meet is so important. My idea of a good headphone
isn't everybody's choice. And plainly he isn't happy with it.

Jan 1, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #40 of 53
  I made it a point to listen to hd-800's at a couple of meets. Matching amps is pretty important.
For me at least, the hd-800 didn't wow me. It sounded good with the right amp, but not $$$$
good. There are a lot of great headphones out there that would get the job done for the OP
and don't cost $$$$. That's why I said going to a meet is so important. My idea of a good headphone
isn't everybody's choice. And plainly he isn't happy with it.

My apologies-I thought you were discounting the merits of buying high end cans for gaming. That's your personal opinion.........others have the opposite. I owned the HD800 and even though it didn't wow me I recognized the superior quality, imagery, instrument separation, and soundstage. I haven't heard anything under $1000 that's even come close. I'm just not comfortable with that sound signature, but that's not the OP's problem..........his problem is he thinks they're underpowered so the goal is to properly power them and *if* he still unsatisfied with them *then* you can talk about other cans. 

Hearing cans at meets is also very unreliable because of dozens of reasons that I'm not going to go into right now. 

Virtual surround sound cannot be output via Line Out on the X7 at the moment. Perhaps in a future software/firmware update you can but not at the moment. That is why I said to use the Headphone output on the front.

The advice you are getting from this thread is awful with people seriously saying the Magni 2 is bad. Just contact me via PM and I'll help or ask on /r/Headphones on reddit.

It's my very strong opinion that virtual surround is unnecessary with HD800 and actually detrimental to the overall sound quality on high end headphones from my experience with Creative devices but I'll leave that to the OP to decide. I have a Magni 2 Uber myself and it's a very capable amp. I don't think anyone in this thread has said the Magni 2 is *bad* in fact I think only one person suggested against it. Certainly not multiple people. 

It also seems you have a hostile tone in your posts in this thread and you may possibly have moderation problems.

Jan 1, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #41 of 53
Agrees. Just to clarify, I didn't mean that the magni is bad. It's not. But I personally believe it's a step down from what he has (the x7). I've had both and that's my conclusion

I also just remembered from the x7 review thread on here that the reviewer hooked up his planars (he-6 maybe) to the speaker taps. That might be worth looking into (I'd do a bunch of research before doing that though)

Jan 2, 2016 at 2:28 AM Post #42 of 53
 My experience was somewhere similar-I bought mine blind. My friends all preferred Beats 1.0 to them. "Too thin and weak" was the general consensus. I found some synergy with my Headroom Maxed Out Home Amp and was able to power them, but I still wasn't a  fan of the boosted treble to highlight detail and the general tuning even though it was crystal clear because I have a quite high listening level and. things get sibilant for me. When I listened at lower levels it was ok, but....................I don't really like listening at lower levels so I ended up selling them after about 200 hours of burn in. 

What amps have you found good for the HD800?

I have heard a few that I really liked with them, Beta-22, Crack and a few others. But the best amp (in my experience) with them so far is the Fosgate Signature . The first thing that I heard when I tried the pairing was snappy hard hitting bass and gorgeous mids. It was like a different HP.

Jan 3, 2016 at 7:27 AM Post #43 of 53
Just an update.... The low volume seemed to be caused via connecting using usb host, as when connecting via bluetooth (tidal) it sounds plenty loud.

My next concern is that yes the headphones sound great! But I find the vocals really fatiguing and forward where as all the other sounds have more distance.....

Any ideas? Must be a setting... I will change op amps soon

Jan 3, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #44 of 53
Little bit of overkill?
biggrin.gif

The HD800 (S) is incredible with movies. I wouldn't watch movies with any other headphone at all.

Jan 3, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #45 of 53
The HD800 (S) is incredible with movies. I wouldn't watch movies with any other headphone at all.

Fanboy comment if ever i've heard one. There are plenty of other great movie and gaming headphones and for far less than the HD800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back