HD800 sound utter average?
Dec 31, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #16 of 53
Thanks all.

I like the surround sound effect of the x7 for gaming... Is there no way to get this effect still with a another amp?

My HD800 are for gaming and movies only

If you're not able to use it with a separate amp, you can try free virtual surround sound software like the ones discussed in the thread I linked to or ones you can find using this search link. There are also paid programs such as Out Of Your Head.

Dec 31, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #17 of 53
Dec 31, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #18 of 53
......................or you may find that a well driven HD800 sounds much better without the surround effect-try it both ways. 

Dec 31, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #19 of 53
Thanks all.

I like the surround sound effect of the x7 for gaming... Is there no way to get this effect still with a another amp?

My HD800 are for gaming and movies only

I don't have enough experience with the HD 800 to really get involved here. But why in the world did you get that headphone with a creative amp,and why oh why did you get that setup for movies and gaming only? Seems to me you're out of your depth here and maybe only have to much to spend on headphones? Get something better suited to your needs, like maybe the HD 650 or one of them cordless sennheisers, or maybe some steelseries phones? Sell the 800s and move on... Good thread though with informative replys!

Dec 31, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #20 of 53
I don't have enough experience with the HD 800 to really get involved here. !

Too bad more people don't come to this conclusion. (good post on your end)

Posting specs for powering the HD800 means you have no experience with it, not helpful what-so-ever.

I absolutely hated them when I first heard them (bought them blind). I read about the challenge to amp/source with them and laughed and thought it was hogwash like some of the posters on here. Then I experienced them with a synergetic amp and was floored at how great they can actually be.

YMMV, but this is my experience, I own them and felt the same way as the OP.

Dec 31, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #21 of 53
Quote:

I don't have enough experience with the HD 800 to really get involved here. But why in the world did you get that headphone with a creative amp,and why oh why did you get that setup for movies and gaming only? Seems to me you're out of your depth here and maybe only have to much to spend on headphones? Get something better suited to your needs, like maybe the HD 650 or one of them cordless sennheisers, or maybe some steelseries phones? Sell the 800s and move on... Good thread though with informative replys!

Becasue he was likely after the larger soundstage on the HD800, which overall isn't a lot but in relative headphone terms it is, but the reality however is that when it comes to gaming and movies surround DSP has a lot more to do with the immersive effect than the headphone's soundstage.

For one, I use a Xonar U3 and Superlux HD330 on my PC, and I still reach for my desktop speakers when I want to lower the volume even when Im watching YouTube, all because of Dolby Headphone. Swap out the HD600 (and even use the optical output on the U3 to a DAC-HPamp) and it's not going to get any more out of the head than that. Switch off Dolby Headphone, and the HD330's soundstage feels like Poseidon threatening you with a trident - strong, bright L, C, R, with empty spaces between L-C and C-R - but not as much on the HD600.

Jan 1, 2016 at 1:26 AM Post #22 of 53
Posting specs for powering the HD800 means you have no experience with it, not helpful what-so-ever.

I absolutely hated them when I first heard them (bought them blind). I read about the challenge to amp/source with them and laughed and thought it was hogwash like some of the posters on here. Then I experienced them with a synergetic amp and was floored at how great they can actually be.

Those are the objective power requirements and are not debatable. Sending more power into the headphones only increases the volume, and having more power available (beyond the requirements) does not matter because that extra power is not used unless you increase the volume. Any difference in sound beyond the basic requirements (if they are met) is due to something besides output power. All this stuff about "synergy" involves coloring the sound (which can be done with EQ and other software too) and has nothing to do with actually driving headphones.

Here's how it actually works:

The fact is, if an amp has:

1) inaudibly low noise
2) inaudibly low distortion at the required power and current level
3) output impedance <1/10 of headphone impedance at all frequencies
4) sufficient voltage swing to drive the headphones to an acceptable level
5) inaudibly low channel imbalance
6) a flat frequency response
7) Little or no overshoot or ringing regardless of load
8) Decent phase response

the amp will sound just like every other amp that meets these criteria.

It isn't terribly hard to meet these criteria with modern electronics either, and any competently designed amp should succeed at this. As such, any competently designed amp with sufficient power and voltage swing (and this just means enough to get the headphones fairly loud) will drive the HD800 perfectly. Note that it only takes ~160mW at 8Vrms to get to 120dB with the HD800, so the limiting factor for nearly any amp out there is going to be voltage swing, not current capability (and even the amount of voltage required to get them ridiculously loud is well within the capability of most reasonable amps). The HD800 is actually a fairly easy load, from the amp's perspective - high impedance, low current, and not hugely insensitive. Something like an LCD2 is much more challenging to the amp than the HD800 ever could be.

Scientific facts are helpful. Denying them is not.

Jan 1, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #23 of 53
Thanks for the lesson!

I can tell the OP what I hear, you can parrot what you read.

Please put me back on ignore as you said you have in the past, I want no trouble. There is no way I'm putting you on ignore, your hilarious! :)

Jan 1, 2016 at 6:36 AM Post #24 of 53

My experience was somewhere similar-I bought mine blind. My friends all preferred Beats 1.0 to them. "Too thin and weak" was the general consensus. I found some synergy with my Headroom Maxed Out Home Amp and was able to power them, but I still wasn't a  fan of the boosted treble to highlight detail and the general tuning even though it was crystal clear because I have a quite high listening level and. things get sibilant for me. When I listened at lower levels it was ok, but....................I don't really like listening at lower levels so I ended up selling them after about 200 hours of burn in. 

What amps have you found good for the HD800?

Jan 1, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #25 of 53

Well said! Wrong headphone simple as that, do your research before you buy.

Jan 1, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #26 of 53
Don't blame your HD800 - blame your other gear........   
L3000.gif

Jan 1, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #28 of 53
Well I would like to keep them and make them work.

Is changing the opamps a valid option?

Would trading them for D7000 be a option?

The X7 currently doesn't support virtual surround sound to Line Out. That means you can't use the X7 as a DAC. If the X7 power output isn't high enough then connect an amp like a Magni 2 to the headphone out on the X7.

You could just get a Sound Blaster E5/G5. I assume you want virtual surround sound on PC not consoles. The E5/G5 do not support virtual surround sound on consoles due to the lack of Dolby Digital decoding.

If you have any questions then just PM me.

Jan 1, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #29 of 53
I have the E5 and I don't think it's quite powerful enough for the HD800, on high gain it distorts if you try to push it. Also, something buggy is happening right now with the software, I haven't been able to get the software suite functional for the last 2 months now, however it does have a surround effect in that suite (also has EQ options) that *may* be similar to the one on the X7, since they're both Creative devices. I wouldn't recommend that effect with the HD800 though........................

Users who are viewing this thread

Back