HD800 plus top-notch head amp OR Stax SR-007mk2 & Stax Energiser?
Nov 8, 2014 at 4:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

oktapod

Head-Fier
Hey folks.

Having built up a fairly impressive main system with large active speakers, I'm planning to downsize and invest into my headphone setup.

I currently have a pair of HD800s which I drive unbalanced from the class-A headphone output of my DAC/Pre (a modified Audiolab MDAC).  This gives good results - but I suspect that there is more to come from the HD800s with balanced connection and/or a dedicated headphone amp.

I have a Stax itch, however.  I'm interested in a Kimik modified SR-007mk2 setup, which will cost around £3200 in the UK.  I'd offset that slightly by selling the HD800s for perhaps £600, but that's still £2600 to find.  

My question is whether a keeping my HD800 plus using up to that £2600 to spend on a balanced headphone amp plus balanced lead is likely to sound better than going to the all-Stax setup.  Thus far, I haven't had a chance to try the Stax and I am hoping to hear one locally, but knowing where to try out various HD800 amp options is a bit trickier, with the nearest dealer selling both Stax and HD800s/amps being 400 miles away from me...

Any advice?  

ta.

Nov 8, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #2 of 8
"Better" is going to be very subjective in that case.  To make the choice even harder, both setups are going to sound transparent and rather neutral, the HD 800 being a tad more neutral but I find the SR-007 to be much more transparent.  If you can audition the SR-007, definitely do so before making your decision.  Personally I like the SR-007 a lot more than the HD 800, although the SR-007 I listened to was a Mk1.

Nov 8, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #3 of 8
Easy. Forgo the Kimik crap pick up a 007 mk 1 ($1700-ish) and a KGSSHV or maybe KGST ($2400-3000-ish.)
I'd also recommend considering stretching that budget for a source upgrade.

Do try to listen to any/all the choices mentioned though..

Nov 8, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #4 of 8
  Easy. Forgo the Kimik crap pick up a 007 mk 1 ($1700-ish) and a KGSSHV or maybe KGST ($2400-3000-ish.)
I'd also recommend considering stretching that budget for a source upgrade.

Do try to listen to any/all the choices mentioned though..

Sorry about derailling the thread, but what's a Kimik SR007 ?

Nov 8, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #5 of 8
Nov 9, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #6 of 8
Thanks for the suggestions.  The difficulty is finding used Stax in my area; I'm not sure I'd want to buy unseen at these prices.  I know that buying new is more expensive, but at least I don't have to concern myself with the 'history' of the cans.

That said, I'll keep an eye out for anything suitable that's local to me (Scotland).  I will go hear the set that's local to me, although they are not for sale but it will give me a reference.  No real interest in source upgrades right now - that's already pretty much covered for me.  

Nov 9, 2014 at 4:46 AM Post #7 of 8
Nov 12, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #8 of 8
  Thanks for the suggestions.  The difficulty is finding used Stax in my area; I'm not sure I'd want to buy unseen at these prices.  I know that buying new is more expensive, but at least I don't have to concern myself with the 'history' of the cans.

That said, I'll keep an eye out for anything suitable that's local to me (Scotland).  I will go hear the set that's local to me, although they are not for sale but it will give me a reference.  No real interest in source upgrades right now - that's already pretty much covered for me.  

Ok, another option, don't know if this is much help but is potentially available within your limits.

Brand new SR-007 mk2: £1995

And a corrected Chinese KGSS from a respected builder on these forums:

http://mjolnir-audio.com/?page_id=9
$1500 + shipping 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back