HD800 modification thread
Sep 25, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #121 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're not muffling the driver at all. Your blocking the outer mesh to allow less sound to escape from the earcup.

Instead of everyone who owns them making all these assumptions, why not take 5 minutes and do it.
smily_headphones1.gif

This might add a little more reverberation which I feel HD800 is slightly lacking for my taste.

Sep 25, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #122 of 155
okay. maybe I am being too cautious, but how do you remove the dustcover? where do I pinch?

Sep 25, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #123 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I will be having a second pair arriving soon. The first pair used Mills resistors and provided 100 ohms of resistance. While it definitely smooths out the sound, it kills detail.

The next pair will be using nude Vishay resistors with 82.4 ohms of resistance. Perhaps they will provide more detail.

This is incorrect. The modification to the headphones is far superior to what the resistors provide. The resistors decrease the level of detail while the modification increases detail, soundstage, and a smoother more natural tonal balance.

Well not necessarily incorrect; the distinction is that the resistors decrease the higher end while increasing the low end; the shirt may let a bit more of the higher frequency through and a bit more bass (by reverberating it back into your ear) meaning that it won't end up muffled. The lack of harshness from the shirt could also eliminate the harshness some experience with the HD800 meaning that more detail is revealed.

My point is that both are going for the same goal even though both accomplish it in different ways and one winds up accomplishing that goal more effectively than the other.

Sep 25, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #125 of 155
I'm just wondering if John Willet is collecting names from this thread on whos warranty to void. Maybe that's why no one wants to try it and report back.

Sep 25, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #126 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm just wondering if John Willet is collecting names from this thread on whos warranty to void. Maybe that's why no one wants to try it and report back.

That's like saying "removing your dustcovers and cleaning the inside of your headphone with a cloth would void your warranty." The dustcovers are made to be removed and washed.

Sep 25, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #127 of 155
I agree with Ipod. I don't understand how the mod would violate the warranty. Nothing is really being taken apart, other than the dustcover which is supposed to replaceable.

This is like adding damping material to a speaker.

Sep 27, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #128 of 155
I'm wondering about using a full "circle" approach. Cutting a piece in a circular shape that would be half as wide as the 3 1/2" strip, perhaps a bit wider than 1/4" thick. Maybe I'll try this and see what happens.

Sep 27, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #129 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm modding my HD800 sound by matching them to the proper source/amp/cable.

You are exactly correct Larry! IpodPJ found his mod made a difference because the amp is very warm and un-resolving and not quite up to the task of taking the HD800 to the next level! I spent three days with the "Phoenix" (aptly named) and it isn't to my taste or liking!

Yes the stock cable is crap! Shortening it couldn't hurt.....I have several re-cable options on hand, to determine the better for hardwiring, for one of my two examples of the HD800.

His mod made a difference to him and it might make a difference for you! You can agree to disagree but play nice people, Phil is making the best of what he has to work with. It's simple and reversible and you won't miss the hole in the t-shirt...it's a fashion statement!

Sep 27, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #130 of 155
Alan, did you use the Phoenix with single ended or balanced outputs? It does not do a good job with single ended. Once the amp has warmed up for 4 hours, it is resolving when used with balanced outputs. I am also using custom CAST and DC cables on it, etc. To get the most out of the Phoenix it needs to be paired with a DAC capable of current output.

However, it is not the be all end all of headphone amps, which is why I have a Beta22 build underway.

The Phoenix is on the dark side for sure, but it doesn't have great bass with the HD800. This is one of my biggest issues with it.

I still feel the mod will make a difference with the B22, even if it needs to be adjusted slightly. Bringing the soundstage into focus and lowering the very tall height will be desired regardless of the amp being used.

Sep 27, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #131 of 155
Not to venture off topic, but the Phoenix is lacking in several aspects, in any mode or configuration and wasn't a serious contender to the top-tier balanced offerings available.

Hysteresis was chief among them..heat is waste and the handling of it was sophomoric at best. The case wasn't given thought to the bias or saturation factors and it is in my experience AND opinion, the amp might start failing in as little as four months. It pop-ed, clicked and wheezed while heating the whole house!

The case height has to be increased by a factor of three with better sinking and ventilation holes-a-plenty needed!

The case vendor has resemblance to be a supplier of Raysonic and Ayon (a favorite) and probably has the means to offer something more effective!

You will love the Beta! You won't have to "strap" resistance for the amp to see an Amp friendlier load. Mine is being made to a MEGA Beta with premium parts, wire with a redux of the DC conversion to something very direct.

Sep 27, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #133 of 155
Oh, the image is spot on with the best of amps n' sources. Not high...or low...but just right! You can have your porridge and eat it to!

Sep 27, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #134 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by achristilaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, the image is spot on with the best of amps n' sources. Not high...or low...but just right! You can have your porridge and eat it to!

I guess I'll have to hear that for myself. Re: sources, the Ref1 is a good deal better than the RAM modded DL3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back