HD800 modification thread
Oct 6, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #137 of 155
I seldom visit this forum anymore, thanks to threads like this one. I would have thought the Great Recession would have thinned out the herds, but I guess a lot of morons still have $1400 to spend on headphones (and then "mod" them.)

Oct 6, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #138 of 155
your gear is very costly why cant a minor alteration be done? when the hd800 is very amazing except some bass impact and stuff

Oct 6, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #139 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by minimus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I seldom visit this forum anymore, thanks to threads like this one. I would have thought the Great Recession would have thinned out the herds, but I guess a lot of morons still have $1400 to spend on headphones (and then "mod" them.)

No so eloquently put forward, but the sediments I do concur with with exception of calling name calling.

Oct 7, 2009 at 9:13 AM Post #142 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you know unless you try it? Assumption is the mother of all ****-ups.

The problem I have with such a mod is determining what your compensating for, if I assume the the HD800 is as good as the Sennheiser team could build without adding T-shirt pieces LOL, then you modding to compensate for one of your components upstream, maybe even your own personal hearing abilities who knows.
I’m taking a giant leap of faith, I’m going to assume that the Sennheiser team got it right
tongue.gif
I’ll build the system around that assumption, which I thinks a heck of a lot more reliable than this mod, not the other way - you end up chasing you tail.

I reckon you’ll be un-modding after your beta22 is built lol.

Oct 7, 2009 at 1:00 PM Post #143 of 155
No one sound signature can suit everyone, minor tweaks to any parts of the audio chain is a good way to get closer to your personal preference. A purist might not want to use dampening in headphones though. I know cotton makes my headphones sound more pleasing but for some reason I can't bring myself to keep it that way.

Oct 7, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #145 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I reckon you’ll be un-modding after your beta22 is built lol.

I don't think so but I'm not going to assume anything, and neither should you. Proper imaging/staging is mainly due to the headphones and on any amp or DAC I've listened to the HD800, the soundstage was too tall. You've built a Beta22 so I doubt being lazy is the problem. What are you afraid of, that you'll like it? If you don't, undo it.

Oct 7, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #146 of 155
Quote:

I don't think so but I'm not going to assume anything, and neither should you. Proper imaging/staging is mainly due to the headphones and on any amp or DAC I've listened to the HD800, the soundstage was too tall. You've built a Beta22 so I doubt being lazy is the problem. What are you afraid of, that you'll like it? If you don't, undo it.

Ok I hear ya
tongue.gif
I’ll give it crack like you say can’t hurt, I’ll report my findings.

Oct 7, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #147 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok I hear ya
tongue.gif
I’ll give it crack like you say can’t hurt, I’ll report my findings.

Would that make you the 3rd person to try it now? I guess this mod is 1/2 so far, unless I missed a post.

Oct 8, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #148 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would that make you the 3rd person to try it now? I guess this mod is 1/2 so far, unless I missed a post.

No, it's not. Scootermafia uses it and loves it. He has tried reverting back to sans mod and prefers the mod. In the interest of full disclosure, he also uses the Phoenix amp. But that for the time being is irrelevant since so few people have even bothered to try it.

So many people say how could Sennheiser possibly get it wrong after 7 years? They didn't get it wrong, but there's always room for improvement in some people's eyes (or should I say ears). By that same rationale, if a speaker company made a speaker that cost $15,000 after 10 years of research, could they not make a better one a year later that cost the same or more? Or could a $30,000 speaker from another manufacturer sound better? Yes, and yes. Don't forget that these headphones were designed as single ended and preferred with the Lehman Black Cube Linear. Does that not mean that they won't sound better if we run them balanced and with a better quality amp?

Oct 8, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #149 of 155
It's still on my cans, lol, if that's any indication. See if you like it. The main thing it does is lower the soundstage so it's centered properly, going directly into my ears, rather than hovering overhead.

Oct 8, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #150 of 155
Quote:

No, it's not. Scootermafia uses it and loves it. He has tried reverting back to sans mod and prefers the mod.

Oops, my fault. 2 for 3 then. Not bad, I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back