HD800 + Headamp GS-X MK2 + ? DAC / HD800 + HDVD800
Oct 27, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #16 of 35

Would try to audition those when they are available. By schiit's dealer do you mean audio iconic?

http://audioiconic.com/

Edit: Oh and also do you know if sennheiser are stocking up on the balanced cables? If not I would have to get 1 online.

Yup.

Didn't ask about the cables, as I don't consider it to be a very good choice...

Oct 27, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #18 of 35
Sennheiser`s xlr4 is really nice - I was using it today again at the Tokyo show.  It`s nice and short, and very light, lighter than other xlr4s (I think; I didn`t actually weigh anything).  Much more civilized than their xlr3 x 2 cable. . .  

Oct 27, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #20 of 35

How is that so? Isit because the cables are too overpriced for the performance they give? I have seen positive reviews about the balancing cables though.

Yup mainly because of this, but anyway, HD800 sounds good to me even with stock cables...

Oct 27, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #21 of 35

How did your DAC testing go? =x

I wasn`t able to do it (listen to the DAC in the hdvd800).  The Senn room was in the process of being taken down when I got there around 5pm, so i just had a listen for a short time on the 600`s that were still there, hooked up to a CD player under the table.  There was nobody with any time to answer questions.  I don`t know why they were packing up early... 

Oct 27, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #22 of 35
Hi HYHY, it seems like you are looking for some quick answers here which hopefully instantly solve your issue. I think you may get disappointed in the end if you hope to get the right answers from just a few of us as we all hear things differently. There are plenty of information in the this forum, so read up more to get a better and balanced view. Of course, nothing will top hearing the gears yourself. While I agree there is no easy access to quite a number of TOTL head-amplifiers in Singapore, you will be surprised the amount of DACs you can find in Singapore, not to mention you hardly need to travel more than a hour to reach the shop. Therefore, saying Singapore is a DAC unfriendly place is as wrong as it gets, unless you stay at home all the time. Google is your friend and just put in more effort, you can easily audition many DACs. Good luck!

Second that, try AURALiC stack, it should be quite easy get access to/audition in Singapore.
AURALiC Taurus MKII is balanced and should not be far in performance from GS-X, only cheaper and available right away.
I didn't have a chance to compare two but it does much better job with HD800 than GS-1 with updated Dynalo+ modules, which is pretty much single ended version of GS-X with lesser power supply.
Voicing is pretty close, both are dead neutral, with maybe slight hint of warmth on Taurus.
Also read Asr impressions on it in RMAF2013 thread, he also used to own GS-X MKII.

Nov 5, 2013 at 6:28 AM Post #23 of 35
I'd go with dopaminers suggestion. I recently had a chance with the hdva600, and afterwards it left me unhappy because I couldn't take it home. It's sounds very good.

Pair that 600 with a dac of your preference and I'm sure you'd be happy.

Apr 15, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #24 of 35
I recently had the chance to compare the GS-X MK2 and the HDVD-800 and I prefer the GSX-MKII overall.  The GS-X MKII might be very slightly brighter overall but soundstage (depth & width), blacker background, resolution & details, and dynamics & headroom are all better the HDVD-800.  The difference is not night and day but is around 15% using the same source.  The built-in DAC is only decent at best.  The DAC makes the overall sound of the HD800+HDVD-800 combo to sound a tad thin, bright, and missing the depth.  I personally recommend the HDVD-600 over the HDVD-800 unless you absolutely need an all-in-one unit.  I am a bit disappoint that Senn didn't do a better job utilizing a better DAC in their statement piece.  However, I do love the smoothness & effortless of the HDVD-800 headamp section.

Apr 15, 2015 at 3:34 AM Post #26 of 35
  Hi, 

GS-X 2 and HD800 together make a thin and bright sound. Too sterile, doesn't sound like music at all. 

Regards,
Jeremiah 

It doesn't sound bright to me honestly.  Are you listening to it balanced?  I also don't use stock cable.

Apr 15, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #27 of 35
Cant say anything about XLR version, which is USD 380 MSRP, but normal cable that HD800 comes with isnt that good. Its not bad bad, but it doesnt do the justice for HD800. Less resolution, blurry midbass and not transparent and thats for USD 299 MSRP price? No, thanks.

Apr 15, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #29 of 35
  It doesn't sound bright to me honestly.  Are you listening to it balanced?  I also don't use stock cable.

The HD800s are brighter sounding headphones...the GS-X Mk2 will not make them warm and mushy. But they do sound spectacularly together to my ears; but we can't forget about the DAC/Source too.

Apr 16, 2015 at 4:01 AM Post #30 of 35
Hi people, 

Source is my reference benchmark Accuphase DC-901. I use HD800 in balanced configuration using Sennheiser XLR cable. The HD800 is also modded with anax mod.

I think not all solid-state amps I tried make the HD800 sound bright and sterile. For example tried Luxman P-1u and P-700u and they sound quite nice with the HD800, very fluid sound. The DIY Beta 22 also falls in the same category, not as fluid as Luxman but has better impact and details. Triad Audio L3 is a little portable amp but it also doesn't sound bright and sterile with the HD800.

In the other side of fence I tried the GS-X 2, Auralic Taurus 2 and I think the newest Audio-gd Master series, I think it's Series 9. I think these three have more or less the same presentation, a bit thin sound, emphasize on sterile and brightness. GS-X 2 is the brightest sounding, the Taurust is least brightest and the Series 9 is somewhere in between. They present a bit more detail than the first group but also far less effortless. Just not a good match with the HD800 which I feel remain sterile and slightly bright even after mod.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Jeremiah

Users who are viewing this thread

Back