HD800 Gift, now I need an amp
Jun 27, 2014 at 1:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

DocHiFi

New Head-Fier
General Info:

New to using HE Cans, but not audiophile systems. I just received the promise of a gift - a set of HD800s. Will be ordering them - from someone - in app a week. Great birthday gift!

Intended Use:

The 800s will be used strictly for TV (Sony) and on some occasions music (jazz, classical, soft rock). Most of my music listening though is done in another room.

I require a toslink connection to the the Amp/DAC. Not that it will make too much difference, but I will be using a AudioQuest class 1 optical cable.

Budget: $1500 +/-

Solid State or Tubes:

I normally prefer solid state (SS) and was thinking I would just purchase the HDVD800 from Senn. However, then I read some comments from experienced users using Woo's Fire Flies. After studying the reviews and online comments I was sort of back to ground zero on what to purchase.

Try Before I Buy?

Unfortunately, the HE audio store in our town - while they carry some great systems (such as McIntosh) - do not carry hardly anything in the way Headphone gear. So, I can't try before I buy.

The dealer desires to sell me an Meridan Prime. But it does not have a toslink connection and it is a little more than I desire to invest.

Your Suggestions:

I would appreciate your suggestions on any SS or Tubes systems that you think would work well. Since I will not be able to experience the sound for myself any descriptions (though subjective) would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Sincerely,
DocHiFi

Jun 27, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #2 of 11
There is at least one entire thread devoted to the HD 800 (look under the Summit-Fi forum section).  There also are entire sections of this forum dealing with amps.

What makes sense is to delete this post and replace it with "Hi members of Head-Fi from a new memeber!"  Next move to one or more of these other threads &/or forum sections and join in the discussion there.  That's where you will get the most and best answers.

Jun 27, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #3 of 11
holy crap...what a birthday present 
eek.gif

Jun 27, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #4 of 11
I'm on the verge of purchasing an HD 800.  I would recommend as high as you can go up into the Woo Audio tube amp price range. WA-22 ($1190) has been reported to be good for the HD 800.

Jun 27, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #5 of 11
KG Jag,

I apologize if my inquiry offended you. I was just following the rules about "where" to post.

I have read alot of the reviews and such and even some of the threads by other members - that is where I found out about the Woos. While they were helpful they still did not answer all the questions that are specific to my post - specifically those amps (1) with Toslink (2) at around $1500.00 or so (3) that perform well with the HD800s.

Sincerely,
DocHiFi

Jun 27, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #6 of 11
kayandjohn,

Thanks for your post. Though I am normally a solid state guy, I am leaning heavly towards the HD800s with the Woos at this moment. I am still searching for some more reviews on the Woo/HD800.

Jun 27, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #7 of 11
KG Jag,

I apologize if my inquiry offended you. I was just following the rules about "where" to post.

I have read alot of the reviews and such and even some of the threads by other members - that is where I found out about the Woos. While they were helpful they still did not answer all the questions that are specific to my post - specifically those amps (1) with Toslink (2) at around $1500.00 or so (3) that perform well with the HD800s.

Sincerely,
DocHiFi

No offense ever taken. 

This is a case where the rules can be followed (as I suggested) and a better result obtained for the new member.  Unfortunately this is a common problem now (with the rule change).  People who post very specific questions about unusual, expensive (e.g. Summit-Fi) level equipment and/or mutiple pieces of equipment chained together are just not likely to get many or the most helpful answers on a catch all recommendations thread.  Just suggesting alternatives to avoid a lose-lose.

Jun 27, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #8 of 11
Glenn OTL or MAD Ear HD+

Spend the rest on a DAC with Toslink.

Jun 27, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #9 of 11

No offense ever taken. 

This is a case where the rules can be followed (as I suggested) and a better result obtained for the new member.  Unfortunately this is a common problem now (with the rule change).  People who post very specific questions about unusual, expensive (e.g. Summit-Fi) level equipment and/or mutiple pieces of equipment chained together are just not likely to get many or the most helpful answers on a catch all recommendations thread.  Just suggesting alternatives to avoid a lose-lose.

pff we can help him just fine here q.q

you mention that you need an amp with Toslink in, does the person ur getting the Gift for have an adequate Dac already? From what I understand the HD 800 is picky with it's source. In Stead of spending $1500 on just an amp, maybe find a Dac/Amp combo that will work nicely with it

How ever, to find the right dac amp, it would be best to visit the Summit Fi Thread, how ever many ppl have reported that the Schiit Vali does sound rather good with the HD 80, so that's a $120 Hybrid Tube amp, combine that with like a $1000 Dac and you should have a very nice set for him, and if your wondering why I recommend the cheap little Schiit Vali... it's because of how simple of a unit it is. It's small, there's no tubes to swap 

Jun 27, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #11 of 11
Thanks for this additional info on different amps and the link.. I:)

I need a better DAC (Bruson Conductor has one though ....), but that is August's purchase, though I am looking at both now ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back