HD800 balanced cable recommendation
Mar 7, 2010 at 9:38 AM Post #47 of 63
Hey Jazz, doing some work right now that may benefit you soon, if you know what I mean :)
Back to work...

Mar 7, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #48 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Jazz, doing some work right now that may benefit you soon, if you know what I mean :)
Back to work...

...and this on a Sunday!
eek.gif
frown.gif
popcorn.gif

Mar 7, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #49 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarplayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIW--Thuan (lil knight) has always been straight up with me; he orders stuff from time to time...

Peace,

Lee

I already explained to seaice in PM why I stated that, and am justified in doing so. However others might have different experiences and I hope that a paying customer will receive correspondence.

Mar 8, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #50 of 63
I started this thread on jan 31 and have not let folks what decision I finally made on a balanced HD800 replacement cable. At the time I was trying to decide between the Lawton Audio and Double Helix cables. I was attracted to the Lawton Audio cabling because it uses Jenia Labs cabling, which has a great reputation as a great sounding cable. I was attracted to the Double Helix cable because of the design. It was the only cable that I could find that was a true balanced design-that is one cable for each of the two headphone cups to the balanced inputs of the amplifier-this design just makes a lot of sense to me. If I am going to be spending a lot of dollars on a replacement cable I wanted to get a true balanced design, therefore I purchased the Complement cable from Double Helix.

My headphone amplifier is a Donald North Sonett. Since you can only listen to the Sonett in balanced mode I was not able to compare the stock HD800 cable with the Complement. My impressions therefore are of the entire system of HD800, the Complement cable, and DNA Sonett.

I must say that this system has met my expectations. Prior to setting this system up my concerns about the HD800 was the treble which some reviewers thought has some peakiness in the 6-8 hz range. I have not heard any of this in my system-I chose the copper over the silver Complement cable and I am glad I did-I assume I lose some details with copper as opposed to the silver, but the sound is so smooth. The entire sonic spectrum just sounds so right with this system. It is also dead quiet.
I still listen some to my single ended amplifier/speaker system, but I prefer on most days to listen to my music through my headphone system. I can certainly recommend the Complement replacement cable as well as the DNA Sonett headphone amplifier-both are good values and give much performance and pleasure for your dollar.

Oct 27, 2011 at 5:20 AM Post #51 of 63
This thread hasn't been active in a while, but I'll try just in case... but I'm trying to figure out the best balanced rewire option for my HD800. Double Helix looks good, but some new ALO cables have come out in the meantime that seem to have good reviews. Any thoughts on newer cables vs. Double Helix?

Thanks in advance for any tips,
 Paolo

Oct 27, 2011 at 7:12 AM Post #52 of 63
Save your money and have your stock HD800 cable re-terminated with a 4 pin XLR plug. You can also have the TRS plug cut off with 6 inches of cable and made into a TRS/XLR adapter cable. I had this done with my LCD-2 for $60.00. IMO the sonic difference you might perceive by replacing the cable won't be worth the $300 you'll spend.

Nov 3, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #54 of 63
Nov 3, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #56 of 63
Woh thanks for link.  So for the HD800 the color wires are reversed...

4 pin XLR

3 - Green - Right+
4 - White - Right-
1 - Red - Left+
2 - White - Left-

Can any1 confirm this?

Quote:
I've re-termintated mine with the help of this link:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/429026/hd-800-cable-dissection-what-the-hell-am-i-lookin-at

Nov 5, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #58 of 63
Will do, thanks
smile.gif

Nov 6, 2011 at 9:46 AM Post #59 of 63
Don't you know, how do Stefan Audio Art cables influence on HD800? Do they hide (or just reduce) their 6-8 KHz peak ot not? Thanks in advance.
P. S. Does it worth thinking about cables to reduce the brightness of HD800, or it will be better to think about new (darker) tubes for amplifier?

Nov 6, 2011 at 9:54 AM Post #60 of 63
How should a cable influence a FFT?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back