HD800 balanced cable options
Jul 24, 2009 at 5:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

tosehee

Headphoneus Supremus
Looking to purchase the HD800 in next a few days..

What are the available cable options for HD800 in balanced? I need about 7+ feet, and I'd like to limit the price within $250 or so.

Thanks.

p.s.: I notice that headphone.com sells the HD800 with stock cable recabled for balanced. Is this good compared to Apuresound v3?

Jul 24, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #2 of 26
I don't mean to offend, but if you're using a WooAudio 6, that would only be single ended goodness.

If you have balanced amplification, the HD800 stock cable is not too shabby itself, but the Apuresound v3 can be considered an upgrade over the stock cables. Cable upgrades should come last on your list of things to improve in your set up. Money better spent on better amplification, source or even CDs in my opinion.

Jul 24, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #3 of 26
Thanks for your opinion. I do agree with your statements.

I used to have Wooaudio, but not any more. I have ordered Audio-gd Ref-1 and Phoenix, so they are coming.

I do not know how stock cable performs in comparison to other cable options. I do not want to spend too much on cable as I do not believe in such huge upgrades through cable. But, at the same time, I do agree that there are enhancements, but just not money's worth if they are too expensive.

I was looking at APuresound, but at 350+ for 10 feet, it was a lot more than what I anticipated. and hence my search for more affordable, yet a decent upgrade over the stock HD800.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mofonyx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't mean to offend, but if you're using a WooAudio 6, that would only be single ended goodness.

If you have balanced amplification, the HD800 stock cable is not too shabby itself, but the Apuresound v3 can be considered an upgrade over the stock cables. Cable upgrades should come last on your list of things to improve in your set up. Money better spent on better amplification, source or even CDs in my opinion.

Jul 24, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #4 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking to purchase the HD800 in next a few days..

What are the available cable options for HD800 in balanced? I need about 7+ feet, and I'd like to limit the price within $250 or so.

Thanks.

p.s.: I notice that headphone.com sells the HD800 with stock cable recabled for balanced. Is this good compared to Apuresound v3?

Thanks, tosehee. I'm interested in responses to this, too.

Also, am I right in assuming that there's a balancing adaptor that the stock end of the HD800 can be plugged into, instantly turning it into a balanced set? If this is true, then where can we get it? Cost?

Jul 24, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, tosehee. I'm interested in responses to this, too.

Also, am I right in assuming that there's a balancing adaptor that the stock end of the HD800 can be plugged into, instantly turning it into a balanced set? If this is true, then where can we get it? Cost?

impossible - the stock cable is terminated with a TRS plug, which has only 3 connectors, thus no adapter can change it into 4 distinct wires

have you considered anyone besides apuresound? Blue Dragon might be right up your alley. you could also ask one of the many DIY'ers here to reterminate your stock cable
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 25, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #6 of 26
The real question that I have is whether the APuresound cable is superior to stock cable re-cable to balanced...

Is it worth another $200 over the price of stock recabled to balanced?

Jul 25, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #7 of 26
The stock cable is quite nice for OEM. Much, much than the HD650's cable. Easy to reterminate as well. I use 4 pin XLR equipment and its about a 10 minute job to put a Neutrik plug on. It would be some bit more involved to split into 2, 3 pin XLRs though.

I won't be buying an aftermarket cable any time soon, the reterminated stock cable is more than adequate.

Jul 25, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
impossible - the stock cable is terminated with a TRS plug, which has only 3 connectors, thus no adapter can change it into 4 distinct wires

Yes, I agree, but I was wondering if they had somehow figured out a way to pull it off -- perhaps a way to unsnap the TRS and snap in a balanced adaptor. Which would be very convenient.

Jul 25, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I agree, but I was wondering if they had somehow figured out a way to pull it off -- perhaps a way to unsnap the TRS and snap in a balanced adaptor. Which would be very convenient.

Oh yeah, that totally exists. Only replace "unsnap" with "cut off" and "snap" with solder.

There are 4 connectors in there, which is enough for a balanced signal. You need to modify the original cable to achieve this, though.

Jul 25, 2009 at 8:43 AM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh yeah, that totally exists. Only replace "unsnap" with "cut off" and "snap" with solder.

Yeah, I'm not prepared to go that far, though. So far, SE's been great.

Quote:

There are 4 connectors in there, which is enough for a balanced signal. You need to modify the original cable to achieve this, though.

If I get the urge to experiment, I guess I'd invest in a separate balanced cable that I could switch in. At least the HD800 retains this plug/unplug feature.

Jul 25, 2009 at 9:42 AM Post #11 of 26
I bought some Cryo Parts wire to make a balanced HD-800 cable with. Just using it inline, after I balanced the stock cable (that is, with the new cable used as a cable extension) there was a bit more bass in the sound. Now to see how much difference the new cable by itself makes, once my HD-800 connectors have arrived.

Otherwise, I'm happy with the stock cable re-terminated.

Jul 25, 2009 at 10:01 AM Post #13 of 26
I recently reterminated a stock HD800 cable to dual 3-pin XLRs and I have to say the OEM cable is by far the nicest I have seen. It really is impressively built and obvious that Sennheiser put some money into it. I personally see no need to recable the 800s.

Keep in mind that an adapter that takes the balanced termination and converts it back to SE can be done so you can still use the 800s with SE only amps.

And, no - it is impossible to make an adapter that goes from TRS to balanced XLR (or XLRs if going dual 3-pin). With a TRS plug you have one ground connection. There is no way to split the ground (from the plug) to create the separate left and right negative channels required.

Jul 25, 2009 at 1:29 PM Post #14 of 26
While I agree that the stock cable is impressively built, the high resistance is rather troubling. I measured about 1.1 Ohm on every conductor. A cheap thin copper wire is about < 0.1 Ohm/m.

Jul 25, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Karlosak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While I agree that the stock cable is impressively built, the high resistance is rather troubling. I measured about 1.1 Ohm on every conductor. A cheap thin copper wire is about < 0.1 Ohm/m.

Is your meter actually rated to measure that low? Many multimeters are not very accurate when it comes to very low resistances. There's also contact resistance, resistance from the probes, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back