HD800-are they worth their price when compared to other dynamic headphones that have a 1000$+ price,in or out of prodction?
Nov 21, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #16 of 46
on the same level of K1000 and R10...wow.
very impressive...thanks!
but unfortunately i will be able to run them only single ended in the next few years,if i eventually get a pair.
unless i'll get a new job or win the lottery lol.
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4N6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Had the K1000's and R10's (along with DX1000's, MD5000's, W5000's, and a few others) and sold them after getting the HD800's. Are the HD800's "better" than the K1000's and R10's? Very subjective call as both the others are incredible in their own ways. The HD800's are great balanced, and when run such give the air of the K1000's, more bass than the R10's, and are simply a terrific overall headphone. Are they "perfect?" No. And, I still want to hear the new PS1000 and Edition 8's just for interests sake, as they seem to be direct competitors to the HD800's.

Nov 21, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #17 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4N6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Had the K1000's and R10's (along with DX1000's, MD5000's, W5000's, and a few others) and sold them after getting the HD800's. Are the HD800's "better" than the K1000's and R10's? Very subjective call as both the others are incredible in their own ways. The HD800's are great balanced, and when run such give the air of the K1000's, more bass than the R10's, and are simply a terrific overall headphone. Are they "perfect?" No. And, I still want to hear the new PS1000 and Edition 8's just for interests sake, as they seem to be direct competitors to the HD800's.

I whole-hardily disagree with your hearing, I dont think the difference in sq is small... to my ears, the well amplified k1000's are in another league in regards to sq, or should I say, in a higher plane. And the R10's although not my favorites, also are way more musical than the sterile hd800's.

But I guess this is why the OP must hear them and decide by himself
biggrin.gif

Nov 21, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #18 of 46
Guy,

You need to hear them balanced with the TTVJ 307A and a Meridian 808.2.

Stunning

Nov 21, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #20 of 46
"You need to hear them balanced with the TTVJ 307A and a Meridian 808.2."

And during the full moon while the wood nymphs dance! lol

I heartily endorse GuyDebord on this one.

Nov 22, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #21 of 46
Yes, the HD-800 is worth it! And I run mine single-ended with stock cables. Comparing them to the HP-2 and K-1000 (I own both) I think the HD-800 was completely worth it.

Keep in mind that the HD-800 is very particular about how it is amped.

Nov 22, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #22 of 46
HD800 is great especially coming out of the beta22. I heard this first hand and only single ended. I would imagine it being much better balanced.

It is like mixing the best of HD600 with the best of K1000 and there you have it, everything you need in the HD800

Nov 22, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #23 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by mofonyx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD800 is great especially coming out of the beta22. I heard this first hand and only single ended. I would imagine it being much better balanced.

It is like mixing the best of HD600 with the best of K1000 and there you have it, everything you need in the HD800

I like the comment. K1000 is not really a headphone at all. To me it is rather a small speaker no matter how well it sounds.

Nov 22, 2009 at 8:05 AM Post #24 of 46
Not in my opinion. I think the HD800 is overpriced for what it is and that it could and should have been priced less, more like under $1K.

I'll be more specific. My opinion of the HD800 changed over time - I first heard them at CanJam 09, then I owned one for a couple weeks, and I've since heard them additional times at various Head-Fi meets out of various sources and amps.

I initially thought it was a pretty good headphone. But after the course of directly comparing to the Sony Qualia 010, and subsequently acquiring the Grado HP1000 and Stax OII MKI, I vastly preferred the HP1000 and OII MKI, but more than that, I also thought they were superior headphones. Granted neither the HP1000 nor OII MKI are perfect (and I do have some issues with both of them sonically) but considering both are at around the same price as the HD800, I think one could get better results with either the HP1000 or OII MKI for the price. Neither does the HD800 stand up to the speed (as in impulse response) of the Qualia 010 or Audio-Technica's AD2000.

I owned the HD800, and I've heard it out of amps such as the HeadRoom BUDA, Eddie Current Zana Deux and ZDT, Cary CAD-300 SEI, and a few other top-level ones I can't recall and I've never been impressed by it. I've found it to be a very average headphone that doesn't do anything particularly great. Regardless of amp, or source for that matter, or even re-cabled or balanced (or even both), I've found it to lack treble and bass quantity and extension, dynamic range (contrasting soft volumes from loud), key mid-range tonalities (not realistic when I use either classical or jazz music), and speed (impulse response). It could be significantly faster than it is and I blame Sennheiser for that.

Not that the HD800 is terrible but its performance even out of the best equipment that I've had the opportunity to hear has consistently been less than stellar in the aspects I mentioned. It's a decent headphone that I'm sure many people would like, but its $1.4K MSRP is too high for what it sonically provides compared to other headphones that can be bought at near the same price.

Nov 22, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #25 of 46
I realize this is all very subjective. I listened to the HD800 out of a Luxman P1 being fed via an Exemplar Modded Denon DVD2900. This combo sounded very good, however I would still choose the K1000 or a top tier vintage Joe Grado can.

Nov 22, 2009 at 2:50 PM Post #26 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've found it to be a very average headphone that doesn't do anything particularly great. Regardless of amp, or source for that matter, or even re-cabled or balanced (or even both), I've found it to lack treble and bass quantity and extension, dynamic range (contrasting soft volumes from loud), key mid-range tonalities (not realistic when I use either classical or jazz music), and speed (impulse response).

This comment on sound quality is so far away from my experience that you might as well be talking about iPod earbuds. I am obviously not in your league, Asr, but I do have ears. Lacks treble and bass... no dynamic range... not realistic?

Are the phones that you mention (Qualia O10, Stax OII MkI) current production single-ended dynamic headphones in the same price range as the HD800? When I went shopping for phones, I didn't see them listed on Amazon.
wink.gif

Even the Grado HP1000 is more expensive than the HD800. And you completely lost me when you casually threw the AT AD2000 in the same group with the Qualia and Stax. Were you just cutting and pasting from your profile and picked that one up accidentally? I don't see a one-trick pony (speed) being comparable to a world-class headphone.

It's also convenient that you eliminate every possible source, amp, and cable combination in the universe from being capable of improving the HD800.

In summary, I respectfully submit that this portion of your review might be a bit overstated. I'm not a fanboi nor do I claim that the HD800 is the best headphone on the market. I think it's significantly better than the picture you paint, and I think it is definitely worth the $1400 price tag and fairly priced compared to other commercially available phones.

Nov 22, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #27 of 46
I really liked the HD 800s and think they are the best current production headphone. When contrasted with out of production headphones I'd say they are as good as or better than most out there. Grado HP1000s are not full range IMO as they trail off pretty hard in the upper treble and bass but have great mids, K1000s are awesome and remain my favorite but lack sub 60hz bass, L3000s are good but have a funky soundstage, qualias never did it for me (possible fit issue, I did own a pair) and the PS1 may be better than the HD800 but for me has significant fit issues as I listen laying down and they slide off my head due to their weight.

I also love the AD2ks but wish they were slightly less hazy, I love them and they were my go to hps for a while but could use better definition.

Nov 22, 2009 at 4:55 PM Post #28 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Regardless of amp, or source for that matter, or even re-cabled or balanced (or even both), I've found it to lack treble and bass quantity and extension, dynamic range (contrasting soft volumes from loud), key mid-range tonalities (not realistic when I use either classical or jazz music), and speed (impulse response).

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?
rolleyes.gif

Sure, I own and like the 800s, but if I jumped in here swearing they were absolutely great in every single important area I'd expect to, quite rightly, be dismissed as a dumbass. Can see no reason why claims that they miraculously manage to totally suck in every single important area shouldn't be evaluated in exactly the same way.

Nov 22, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #29 of 46
I don't have HD800, but have had some experience running a couple pairs out of both the Opera and Phonitor. I believe if you feed them the right stuff, they could be very very good headphones. I was able to hear stat-like soundstage (the out and in front of your head kind) and speed. The mid isn't as involving or warm as the 650, but I think that can be fixed by going with an amp supplying a higher current in combination with a slightly warm source.

I really didn't like Qualia 010. I have tried, time and time again, to like it, but I simply don't. I have ran 010 out of such rig as B52, Apache, Presonus CS, DV 332, Mapletree, EC/SS, and other amps - absolutely hated the sound.

HP1000s are pretty good, but since they lack extensions on both ends, I don't see any reason of owning them. If I wanted to experience some melt-in-your-chair midrange transparency, I could just pop in front of my Harbeth, which has a midrange no headphone can match, period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back