hd800 are bad ?
Apr 5, 2011 at 3:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Teejaay

100+ Head-Fier
 so i bought some hd800s off ebay and they are terrible sounding no bass .... any way to mod them or something i would be pissed if i had paid full price i paid under half of MSRP only reason i would ever buy them , so then i sent them in to get fixed and they said they were working fine shocking how a headphone could have so little bass i use them from a ipod anyways any ways to get more bass from them. or are there any good bass headphones i could sell the hd800s and buy ?

Apr 5, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #2 of 34
Assuming you aren't just trolling, headphones of this quality cannot be driven properly by a portable player.  You're going to need a pretty solid amp to drive them properly.

That said, high end headphones are often not as bassy, as they are designed to be completely accurate across the sound spectrum, and we are used to boosted bass.

Apr 5, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #3 of 34

Quote:
Assuming you aren't just trolling, headphones of this quality cannot be driven properly by a portable player.  You're going to need a pretty solid amp to drive them properly.

That said, high end headphones are often not as bassy, as they are designed to be completely accurate across the sound spectrum, and we are used to boosted bass.

hum well im not trolling like what would be a good amp to try out i got these at a estate sale in town.

Apr 5, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #4 of 34
Assuming you're not a troll, return them; if you can't do that, sell them here on these forums.

Please don't mod it--no mod short of creating a completely different headphone will get that HD 800 to sound bassy out of an iPod, let alone drive it to its full potential.  Many people here would love to take that "terrible" HD 800 off your hands at a reasonable price as long as it stays stock.

Also, why was the seller asking under half of MSRP?  Is it damaged in some way?  Is it fake (are there HD 800 fakes out there?)?  Maybe s/he just wanted to quickly get rid of it...

Please check/search the forums regarding a replacement headphone, then come back with a more detailed question if you're still unsure.  For starters, check out Denon's AH-D5000.

Edit: Okay, you're not trolling.  But seriously, don't mess around with an amplifier if you're going to use it out of an iPod.  Portable amplifiers don't usually have the "juice" to drive the HD 800 and even if you found one that did, you're not going to get the amount of bass I'm assuming you want out of them.

Apr 5, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #6 of 34
or Donald North's Sonett :)

Apr 5, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #7 of 34

Quote:
Assuming you're not a troll, return them; if you can't do that, sell them here on these forums.

Please don't mod it--no mod short of creating a completely different headphone will get that HD 800 to sound bassy out of an iPod, let alone drive it to its full potential.  Many people here would love to take that "terrible" HD 800 off your hands at a reasonable price as long as it stays stock.

Also, why was the seller asking under half of MSRP?  Is it damaged in some way?  Is it fake (are there HD 800 fakes out there?)?  Maybe s/he just wanted to quickly get rid of it...

Please check/search the forums regarding a replacement headphone, then come back with a more detailed question if you're still unsure.  For starters, check out Denon's AH-D5000.

Edit: Okay, you're not trolling.  But seriously, don't mess around with an amplifier if you're going to use it out of an iPod.  Portable amplifiers don't usually have the "juice" to drive the HD 800 and even if you found one that did, you're not going to get the amount of bass I'm assuming you want out of them.

no idea why they sold for so cheap it was a bidding thing only reason i bought them is i read something long ago and remembered their price being over 1k :) should have bought the amps the guy had also i guess. so i guess ill look up denon's any other brands of headphones that are bassy ?

Apr 5, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #11 of 34
Well if you're looking for an affordable amp that is going to do your HD800 justice, then how about taking a look at Fiio's desktop amp the E9?  It has the power to at least give you an impression of what the HD800 is really capable of.

Apr 5, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #13 of 34

Quote:
You won't find bass with the HD800, so you're better off selling it, earning a few extra bucks, and go for a pair of basshead 'phones.

hm..I share your opinion only to some extent. In my opinion the HD800 have the right amount of bass if you drive them well. That means that the music is as it has to be but maybe thats another thread :)

Apr 5, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #14 of 34
Quote:
You won't find bass with the HD800, so you're better off selling it, earning a few extra bucks, and go for a pair of basshead 'phones.

"Won't find bass"? There is bass and bass emphasis, please do not mix those two up. 

A sound vintage receiver or amplifier can kick some life into the HD800. A clean set up can cost you less than 200 dollars if you know what to look for. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back