HD800 and T1 musings...
Aug 18, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #391 of 1,024
I didn't mention though that the HD800 was using their stock cable, while my T1 had a Zeus Hex24 (and a XLR - SE converter). However I still think, like you mentioned above, that it was mostly due to impedance.

Aug 20, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #392 of 1,024
downsize and Skylab, could you indicate me a website from where I could order racketball balls for cheap with international shipping? There is no racketball gear in France and even on ebay or other websites I couldn't find some to order which can be shipped to France.

I want to try these out as it seems a good mean to reduce vibrations for cheap.

Sep 18, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #393 of 1,024
So trying out the HD800 again today alongside the T1, but this time both being driven from Phoenix. T1 is balanced while HD800 isn't. Sticking to my usual music which is trance/dance. They both are coming close to each other in terms of quality. T1 still seems a bit better for the bass impact, HD 800 still better sound stage wise...however when i tried it before with my violectric v100 difference was more apparent than I can say now. T1 on my head also has a bit more tighter seal than the HD800s. Before when I tried I was preferring the Hd800 clearly over my T1 (for that particular genre), now I feel both are in the same league.

Listening to Super8/Tab Delusion and Tiesto 10 seconds before sunrise (eg: 1 min in to this song), HD800 and even T1 at some points (with loud enough volume) does make me want to reduce the volume or take it off due to treble poking my ears with a pin. T1 on the other hand seemed a bit less harsh but not by so much. Prolly HD800 bringing out more accuracy. I remember listening to my Ultrasone Pro 900 and keeping my hand on the volume knob to turn it down immediately when it was about 1 min into that song.

I also this time tried O2 with a mid level amp (GES) and I think this just became my favorite of the 3. To my surprise bass impact on an electrostatic was pretty darn good. Granted that GES isn't powerful enough to drive electronic as peeps mentioned but I am liking it none the less with the GES. Now this might be the headphone or the fact of being driven from a tube amp or both, I dunno, since I don't have any other comparisons, this headphone/amp combination indeed wins over the other two. No tube amps for the 2 dynamic headphones so can't comment on that aspect. But the same song as above, trebles were nice, bass was nice, and at no time I had to re adjust my volume or take my headphone off.

HD800 or T1? Seems like O2 is the winner for now lol. Still pondering if I should keep my T1. Most likely I will since it might be able to compensate for my O2/weaker amp combo for certain stuff. Though definitely dropping the idea of getting a HD800 of my own which I was thinking about when I tried it last.

Sep 18, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #395 of 1,024
Well my T1 is recabled with Zeus Hex 24. HD800 isn't since it's not mine.

Sep 18, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #396 of 1,024
Revealing write up - thank for the info. I already have the HD800 - so my next purchase will probably be an Audeze. In the meantime, the HD800 is a proficient performer. 

Comfort is a very important issue for me. I've long since parted with my DT880, but I agree that its comfort is hard to equal; the HD800 seems a little too hot and heavy for my ears, and I suspect that they will still remain at the top of the list. If Audeze increases the comfort, we may have an unqualified winner.

Sep 18, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #397 of 1,024
I was also looking into the LCD2, but every reviewer or mostly everyone consider it rather uncomfortable (at least initially till you get used to it). That was a turnoff for me since I value comfort right next to sound quality too. Can't really have a superb headphone with bad comfort.

Back to HD800/T1
Just listened to Vangelis (electronic music from this guy is so awesome) blade runner soundtrack, Tears in rain. The starting of the song is basically rainfall drops in the background with Nexus 6 voal talk/dialog. HD800 is sharpest for the voice dialog followed by T1 which was closer to O2. Though I preferred the latter in this case. HD800s sound stage does indeed play well with many tracks of the Blade runner soundtrack, like the Blade Runner Blues.

Sep 18, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #398 of 1,024

Quote:
I was also looking into the LCD2, but every reviewer or mostly everyone consider it rather uncomfortable (at least initially till you get used to it). That was a turnoff for me since I value comfort right next to sound quality too. Can't really have a superb headphone with bad comfort.

Back to HD800/T1
Just listened to Vangelis (electronic music from this guy is so awesome) blade runner soundtrack, Tears in rain. The starting of the song is basically rainfall drops in the background with Nexus 6 voal talk/dialog. HD800 is sharpest for the voice dialog followed by T1 which was closer to O2. Though I preferred the latter in this case. HD800s sound stage does indeed play well with many tracks of the Blade runner soundtrack, like the Blade Runner Blues.

I wouldn't call the LCD-2s uncomfortable. I can listen to them for hours with no issues. But they are not as comfortable as either the HD800s/T1s.

WRT you O2, I find with Stats...you either get them or you don't. I have never been a huge fan as they could come of a bit "thin" for my liking.

Between the top 3 cans I own, I'd rank them T1/LCD-2/HD800. And the differences aren't huge and more based on personal preferences of their strengths and weaknesses.
smile.gif

Sep 18, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #399 of 1,024
I believe that one vendor said that, the more money you invest in a pair of headphones, the more subtle the differences. According to Skylab, whose opinions deserve careful consideration, it may be coin flip between the HD800 and T1. Considering the write-ups, it seems that the three headphones are neck in neck on several criteria.

As mentioned, comfort is important; for me, it's best to have headphones you can wear for extended periods of time, and I'm not convinced that any of the three phones better the the DT880. The T1 is said to be roughly equal to the HD800 on several levels, considering your preferences in music and sound. My rhetorical question is this: as a HD800 owner, is it worth it to invest the LCD-2 and/T1? Obviously, a few people in this forum feel it is. I'm glad to have their feedback. But would it be worthwhile to spend around $1000 more on a headphone for a slight difference/improvement in sound?

Sep 19, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #400 of 1,024
I have both DT 880 and T1, and I call tell you while DT 880 is perfect regarding comfort, T1 lacks headband cushion. Lower weight and clamping force on the DT 880 makes comfort better also. But the T1 isn't uncomfortable.
I tried the HD 800, and found them very comfortable, maybe more than the T1.

LCD-2 is said to be uncomfortable (very heavy) as Priyajeet said.

Sep 19, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #402 of 1,024
Was pretty expensive. While I can't argue if it made my headphones better or they are the same, main reason of cabling was to go balanced.

Zeus Hex24 OCC Copper 6ft with Wireworld silver xlr $439
xlr to 1/4" adapter with Wireworld silver xlr $165

Sep 19, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #403 of 1,024

Quote:
I have both DT 880 and T1, and I call tell you while DT 880 is perfect regarding comfort, T1 lacks headband cushion. Lower weight and clamping force on the DT 880 makes comfort better also. But the T1 isn't uncomfortable.
I tried the HD 800, and found them very comfortable, maybe more than the T1.

LCD-2 is said to be uncomfortable (very heavy) as Priyajeet said.

Owning both the T1s/LCD-2s and previously owned the DT880s, I agree with your comments above regarding comfort.

Sep 20, 2010 at 6:40 AM Post #404 of 1,024
Quote:
Was pretty expensive. While I can't argue if it made my headphones better or they are the same, main reason of cabling was to go balanced.

There is also a very cheap way to get the T1 balanced, if a silver cable is not required:

Just remove the jack plug, and replace it by 2 x XLR plug by using the stock cable. The stock cable provides 2 wires and a shield for each driver, and is wired in balanced mode to the drivers (2 wires for + and - to the voice coil, and the cable shield is connected to the housing of the full metal driver). So the T1 is well prepared for balanced mode wiring.

Sep 21, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #405 of 1,024

Quote:

Ok, you definitely convinced me. ALO recabling is around the same price ($465 8 feet OCC Chain Mail 18awg) but I could compare my stock pair with this one and it's definitely a step up. Pricey step up, but... ok, T1 is already flagship of Beyer and one the best cans out there, so I'm not upgrading through recabling for nothing, it's all right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back