HD800 and T1 musings...
Aug 12, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #376 of 1,024
Well I have a violectric v100 but I also tried it on a lil dot mk3 tube amp.
I am thinking of getting a beta22 for my T1s though.

Aug 12, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #378 of 1,024

Quote:
Well I have a violectric v100 but I also tried it on a lil dot mk3 tube amp.
I am thinking of getting a beta22 for my T1s though.

The V100 is certainly a very nice amp! The LD MK3 is likely the best bang for your buck tube amp out there.

Aug 12, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #379 of 1,024

Quote:
What you might be hearing the noise floor of the amp. The the T1's have an impedance of 600 ohms while the HD800's have an impedance of 300 ohms. Therefore it's easier for noise to come through the HD800 than the T1.

I was wondering since my HD800's are dead silent at max volume.

Aug 12, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #380 of 1,024
The HD800s.
T1s were dead silent.

Also I was hearing the hiss at about 9/10 'o' clock position.
Increasing of course by cranking up the volume.

Quote:
Just to be clear, with no music playing, you heard a hiss at high volumes with the violectric/T-1s or 800s?

USG

Aug 12, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #381 of 1,024

Quote:
The HD800s.
T1s were dead silent.

Also I was hearing the hiss at about 9/10 'o' clock position.
Increasing of course by cranking up the volume.

Check your source Priyajeet. The V100 didn't have any hiss with my HD800s and headphones can't produce sounds without a signal.

Aug 15, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #384 of 1,024
PC --- toslink --> PS Audio DL3 --- XLR ---> V100 ---> HD 800/T1

PC --- toslink --> PS Audio DL3 --- RCA ---> LD3 ----> HD800/T1

Quote:

I would tend to agree with you Shahrose.

@Priyajeet.:  what were the transport and DAC you were using when you heard the hiss with the V100/800s?

USG

Aug 16, 2010 at 9:27 AM Post #388 of 1,024
Well, I have only recently started to get serious about HeadFi, my first setup is my portable unit, A Graham Slee Voyager, 5th Gen. iPod with all losless files & the ATH M50 headphones, a really nice setup that I am very happy with.
I am now going to start putting a more permanent system together. I will probably go for the Graham Slee ultra linear as I like Grahams engineering, and think the T1 would be great for my music tastes, Blues, Rock and quite a lot of singer / songwriter material. So how do you think the Ultra linear would be with the T1 ?
Thanks

Aug 16, 2010 at 9:56 AM Post #389 of 1,024
Quote:
When I have absolute no music playing, the T1s are dead silent no matter how high I crank up the volume, while the HD800s have this very faint 'airy' noise which increases when cranking up the volume.

Sometimes the headphone cable can cause some microphonic noise. The better the cable, the less microphonic noise you hear. Ideally, when no music playing, the headphones shall be dead silent (as you described with the T1 above).

Aug 16, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #390 of 1,024
Quote:

Sometimes the headphone cable can cause some microphonic noise. The better the cable, the less microphonic noise you hear. Ideally, when no music playing, the headphones shall be dead silent (as you described with the T1 above).

Generally, the extent to which a cable is prone to microphonics has little to do with its overall sound quality. That is, a "better" cable is not inherently less microphonic. Some otherwise excellent sounding cables exhibit annoying microphonics. And it would be fairly easy to build a non-microphonic cable that sounded horrible.

Microphonics of a headphone cable is mostly due to the cable maker's choice of outer covering (e.g. monofilament Techflex, which is particularly susceptible to microphonics) and the way the cable is physically anchored to the earcups and/or drivers. The T1's cable is non-microphonic primarily because Beyerdynamic chose a very soft outer material and did not to cover it with a braided sleeve.

A hiss is not an indication of cable microphonics. It's most likely an issue with the source electronics. (In the case of a tube amp, the tubes could be microphonic.) Hearing a hiss on one headphone but not another when driven by the same amp is probably due to impedance and sensitivity differences between the headphone drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back