HD700 a good upgrade from HD650 in terms of games?
Mar 13, 2018 at 3:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Avean

100+ Head-Fier
Been using HD650 for many years and its easily been the best headset ive ever used. But im looking to enhance my experience in games and ive read so much about this that i dont know whats true anymore.
HD700 supposedly have a bigger soundstage while some claim its just an illusion haha.

But most of the comments consider HD700 one of the best sets for games while HD650 isnt. Thought i would ask here among gods in head-fi what you guys think. The HD700 costs alot so it must be a better upgrade if im going for them.

Mar 13, 2018 at 3:48 AM Post #3 of 18
HD 700's imaging and soundstage is definitely great for gaming but whether or not you like its sound signature is another question. It's very different sounding than HD 650. Something like HD 599 would be nice cheaper alternative if you don't want to completely replace your HD 650.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 3:50 AM Post #4 of 18
I've tried 50+ audiophile-grade headphones for gaming, and the Beyerdynamic DT990 is by far the best overall. The HD800 is great, as is the HD700, but if you want to be truly immersed, you need a slightly elevated bass response IMO.

// Alex
Thats interesting, thats a cheap headset as well. Yeah i need some bass and ive heard the HD700 is lacking in that department.

Mar 13, 2018 at 4:46 AM Post #5 of 18
700 is good. But needs a beefy amp to bring out bass if thats what you want.

Imaging and accuracy you won't ask for more than this.

But why to spend so much for a gaming headset? If you want it purely for games, i dont think it will be a good value.

Mar 13, 2018 at 6:13 AM Post #6 of 18
700 is good. But needs a beefy amp to bring out bass if thats what you want.

Imaging and accuracy you won't ask for more than this.

But why to spend so much for a gaming headset? If you want it purely for games, i dont think it will be a good value.
I had a crazy idea that studio headsets where the endgame of all things but i see i have been mistaken. Got a reply from a Sennheiser technician he say that my set HD650 are lacking severely in the 80Hz range where you want to be for gaming. So i guess im going to do GSP 600 for gaming and keep my HD650 for music where it is perfect.

Mar 13, 2018 at 6:17 AM Post #7 of 18
I had a crazy idea that studio headsets where the endgame of all things but i see i have been mistaken. Got a reply from a Sennheiser technician he say that my set HD650 are lacking severely in the 80Hz range where you want to be for gaming. So i guess im going to do GSP 600 for gaming and keep my HD650 for music where it is perfect.

Have you been using 650 for gaming? If they worked well, what changes that?

That sennheiser technician might be reading marketing material, trying to push their gaming headset. Trust your ears is what i say. If one hp can do both gaming and and music, thats even better.

Mar 13, 2018 at 6:44 AM Post #8 of 18
Have you been using 650 for gaming? If they worked well, what changes that?

That sennheiser technician might be reading marketing material, trying to push their gaming headset. Trust your ears is what i say. If one hp can do both gaming and and music, thats even better.
I havent noticed what ive been missing since ive used it for so many years and its amazing for music, but ive had problems hearing the fine details of the sound like footsteps. So im just going to keep my HD650 for what its meant for, music :)
And yeah maybe they were pushing for theyre gaming series but dont think so, they wrote a loooong letter explaining why HD650 is not optimal for games. Ive never had a company explaining in a very techinical level like this so love that about Sennheiser.

Mar 13, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #9 of 18
I havent noticed what ive been missing since ive used it for so many years and its amazing for music, but ive had problems hearing the fine details of the sound like footsteps. So im just going to keep my HD650 for what its meant for, music :)
And yeah maybe they were pushing for theyre gaming series but dont think so, they wrote a loooong letter explaining why HD650 is not optimal for games. Ive never had a company explaining in a very techinical level like this so love that about Sennheiser.

I'm a Sennheiser reseller, and had a loooong conference call with the head of the Sennheiser Gaming division about their gaming range, and what they have done to tune the sound signature. What he said lines up with my own testing. Headphones that work well for gaming typically have a near neutral sound signature, with a slight rise in the 3k - 6k region, and a similar rise in the 50Hz - 300Hz region, emphasising footsteps and increasing immersion, without boomy mid-bass that bleeds into the midrange.

Sennheiser head-office staff are extremely passionate about what they do, and I trust their word when it comes to passing on what their R&D team have discovered. The GAME ONE/GSP 500 is easily one of my favourite all-in-one gaming headsets, but it lacks the treble emphasis that I prefer for gaming, which is why I choose the DT990s.

// Alex

Mar 13, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #10 of 18
I'm a Sennheiser reseller, and had a loooong conference call with the head of the Sennheiser Gaming division about their gaming range, and what they have done to tune the sound signature. What he said lines up with my own testing. Headphones that work well for gaming typically have a near neutral sound signature, with a slight rise in the 3k - 6k region, and a similar rise in the 50Hz - 300Hz region, emphasising footsteps and increasing immersion, without boomy mid-bass that bleeds into the midrange.

Sennheiser head-office staff are extremely passionate about what they do, and I trust their word when it comes to passing on what their R&D team have discovered. The GAME ONE/GSP 500 is easily one of my favourite all-in-one gaming headsets, but it lacks the treble emphasis that I prefer for gaming, which is why I choose the DT990s.

// Alex

Yeah im totally impressed by the GSP 600, its really amazing. Even the microphone is quality work. And yeah, i've been kinda lost at what i was going for but Sennheiser responded fast and one sales guy even checked in with a technician so he was 100% sure about what he could recommend. And he came back with several pages of facts and recommendations based on my setup. Awesome brand and people working there no doubt!

Mar 13, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #11 of 18
Yeah im totally impressed by the GSP 600, its really amazing. Even the microphone is quality work. And yeah, i've been kinda lost at what i was going for but Sennheiser responded fast and one sales guy even checked in with a technician so he was 100% sure about what he could recommend. And he came back with several pages of facts and recommendations based on my setup. Awesome brand and people working there no doubt!

The GSP600 impressed me also. I've never been a big fan of the GAME Zero, but the successor seems to be an improvement on all fronts.
I recently got the chance to listen to the GSP500, which is the open-back version, replacing the Game One, and it sounded great also.

// Alex

Mar 18, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #12 of 18
After using the GSP 600 for a week now i went back to HD650 to get the difference in sound and now its pretty clear that im in love with open back headphones. Been using open back for so many years and using closed for a week now teached me that i need open back.
So maybe i will just keep HD650 or consider HD700 but it needs to be great value of an upgrade cause HD700 is really costly.

Mar 18, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #13 of 18
Hd650 is bad for gaming, if u like that u will love something like HD700 or DT990 even better. T90 with good amp would be Dt990 on steroids. I had T1 and now HD800S and while it is slightly better when it comes to competitive gaming, but DT990 was magical when it comes single player gaming and movies. Dt990, Philips X2 and especially T90 well amped is those headphones that have perfect blend of competitive gaming prowess and single player enjoyment.
I miss my Dt990 so i might buy step up headphones that is Fostex Th900 one day.
Good luck, choose well!

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #14 of 18
Hd650 is bad for gaming, if u like that u will love something like HD700 or DT990 even better. T90 with good amp would be Dt990 on steroids. I had T1 and now HD800S and while it is slightly better when it comes to competitive gaming, but DT990 was magical when it comes single player gaming and movies. Dt990, Philips X2 and especially T90 well amped is those headphones that have perfect blend of competitive gaming prowess and single player enjoyment.
I miss my Dt990 so i might buy step up headphones that is Fostex Th900 one day.
Good luck, choose well!

I am not a bass head but i like that HD650 have "some" of it when i turn up the volume. HD700 isnt just treble right? Read so many describing it as very heavy on treble. I dont mind detailed and light sound as long as there is some bass in it as well.

Mar 18, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #15 of 18
I am not a bass head but i like that HD650 have "some" of it when i turn up the volume. HD700 isnt just treble right? Read so many describing it as very heavy on treble. I dont mind detailed and light sound as long as there is some bass in it as well.

HD700 has a lot of bass. Its treble profile depends on your system. On my system it leans towards warmer side.

If you are only are interested in games, i dont think you must get anything other than what you have. It really makes little difference.

If you want to use it for music as well then getting hd700 also makes sense depending on your preferences. On my amp burson soloist sl, it has big, encompassing bass that depending on recording can cover entire soundstage in a separate layer from mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back