HD6xx short cable recommendation?
Jan 8, 2022 at 7:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Corvin25

New Head-Fier
Hello!

I currently have some Sennheiser HD6xx headphones on the way, and I'm just wondering if it's worth it to get some custom cables for it. Preferably 5 ft, since my amp is barely 2.5 feet away from my head at the computer.

I see a few cheap results on Amazon.ca, but I don't have much information on their quality other than the customer reviews, and I certainly don't want to inadvertently damage my new cans and amp, or get inferior sound quality just because I wanted a new cable.

Can anyone recommend a particular brand of cable that would be a good switch/replacement for the HD6xx? Braided would be preferred, since I need durability. And custom colors would be nice, though a distant second.

I currently live in Canada, so I do have to consider import fees.

Sorry if this question seems mundane, but I'm only an "enthusiast" level audiophile at best, and I don't even know where to begin looking.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2022 at 9:26 PM Post #2 of 12
On Amazon I got a Weishan replacement cable for $18 and was really impressed with it on the last HD6XX I had. It's sturdy sounded to me better than the stock cable. Hart cables are really great, but 3 times the price. Neomusica and newfantasia we're terrible. It's coiled, but thick and unwinds easily.

Jan 9, 2022 at 12:29 AM Post #3 of 12
On Amazon I got a Weishan replacement cable for $18 and was really impressed with it on the last HD6XX I had. It's sturdy sounded to me better than the stock cable. Hart cables are really great, but 3 times the price. Neomusica and newfantasia we're terrible. It's coiled, but thick and unwinds easily.
Hey, I remember you, hi! :)

Well, I don't see any Weishan cables on amazon.ca, just those awful NewFantasia ones.

What about actual customized ones, like... from this guy? https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/965171458/custom-cable-for-sennheiser-hd650-hd6xx It's pricey, but if it is actual good quality, I wouldn't mind saving a bit extra for those delightful custom colors. I'd probably get red-black/grey-black, since I love NES colors.

Jan 9, 2022 at 12:34 AM Post #4 of 12
Hello!

I currently have some Sennheiser HD6xx headphones on the way, and I'm just wondering if it's worth it to get some custom cables for it. Preferably 5 ft, since my amp is barely 2.5 feet away from my head at the computer.

I see a few cheap results on Amazon.ca, but I don't have much information on their quality other than the customer reviews, and I certainly don't want to inadvertently damage my new cans and amp, or get inferior sound quality just because I wanted a new cable.

Can anyone recommend a particular brand of cable that would be a good switch/replacement for the HD6xx? Braided would be preferred, since I need durability. And custom colors would be nice, though a distant second.

I currently live in Canada, so I do have to consider import fees.

Sorry if this question seems mundane, but I'm only an "enthusiast" level audiophile at best, and I don't even know where to begin looking.

Thanks in advance!
My favorite cable maker is Audiophile Ninja. Jeremy is very accommodating and allows you to specify cables with custom length and terminations. Prices are very good. You can get a custom cable for HD6XX for about $70.

https://www.audiophileninja.com/

Jan 9, 2022 at 12:40 AM Post #5 of 12
My favorite cable maker is Audiophile Ninja. Jeremy is very accommodating and allows you to specify cables with custom length and terminations. Prices are very good. You can get a custom cable for HD6XX for about $70.

https://www.audiophileninja.com/
That does look very professional! Looks very similar to this guy's work. I'd personally prefer it in red, if I had to choose just one color. https://periaptcables.com/products/4-type-4-dual-2-pin-sen-hd-series?variant=13627716534377

Jan 9, 2022 at 12:44 AM Post #6 of 12
Jan 9, 2022 at 1:15 AM Post #8 of 12
I believe you, I'm not disputing your knowledge! :) I'm just trying to get as much information as possible, it's appreciated!
We can always use more recommended cable makers. I like that they offer more colors. All of these cables are pretty cheap, so it's low risk. When you start going into custom cables $500 and above, that's when you need to be much more selective.

Jan 9, 2022 at 1:38 AM Post #9 of 12
We can always use more recommended cable makers. I like that they offer more colors. All of these cables are pretty cheap, so it's low risk. When you start going into custom cables $500 and above, that's when you need to be much more selective.
Fair enough! But here's the question. I HEARD that if you cheap out on cables, you could actually do serious damage to your amps or headphones. I certainly don't want that, but is there any truth to that? Or is it just an exaggeration? I mean like, "AliExpress" levels of cheaping out, not the options you recommended.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2022 at 1:48 AM Post #10 of 12
Fair enough! But here's the question. I HEARD that if you cheap out on cables, you could actually do serious damage to your amps or headphones. I certainly don't want that, but is there any truth to that? Or is it just an exaggeration? I mean like, "AliExpress" levels of cheaping out, not the options you recommended.
Lie. If anything, cables are cables. The only time you can have problems is if you short them out and they fry something or you have a grounding problem..

I do buy expensive cables, but mostly for aesthetics, like jewelry.

Jan 9, 2022 at 2:18 AM Post #11 of 12
Lie. If anything, cables are cables. The only time you can have problems is if you short them out and they fry something or you have a grounding problem..

I do buy expensive cables, but mostly for aesthetics, like jewelry.
Hmm..... Fair enough. Then I guess with a few exceptions, any cables will do.
In that case, I'll start saving up for the ones I think will match my desired aesthetic then!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back