HD650s sounding weird
May 18, 2004 at 3:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

mxs1030

500+ Head-Fier
For the past 2 weeks I've been struggling to get my HD650s back to sounding like it did the first couple weeks I had it. I'm not really good at using the audio terminology, but I'll try my best to describe it.

Compared to the HD580s, the HD650s sound too forward, when the piano hits, it seems to overwhelm every other instrument. The "background blackness" is much blacker on the HD580, while it always sounds like something is humming on the HD650s. I can pick out recording defects more easily on the HD580s than the HD650s, and in general, the HD580s sound more realistic than the HD650s.

Ughhghghghg, at first I thought my HD650s was just going through the burn-in phase, so I left it on burning-in bassy music for about 50 hours. The first couple weeks I had it, it trounced the HD580s in every aspect, now it just sounds muddy.

I have about 120 hours on the HD650s, what should I do???

Edit: My setup

cambridge audio azur 640c -> nordost black knight interconnects -> perreaux SXH-1

May 18, 2004 at 3:42 AM Post #2 of 51
Some people seem to think that the HD-650 gets worse after break-in...I certainly hope this is NOT the case
wink.gif

May 18, 2004 at 3:49 AM Post #3 of 51
I kind of understand where you're coming from. When I play complicated music - with lots of instruments/stuff going on, the 650's sound muddy compared to my CD3K's. It might be their nature, I just though it was the "Sennheiser Sound."

I still like them though.

May 18, 2004 at 3:51 AM Post #4 of 51
I have two pair of 650's and I went through something like this. One pair became very "muddy" sounding to the point I thought something was wrong with the headphone. After I noticed this difference, with several days normal use the muddiness disappeared. Now if I had to pick the better sounding of the two(yes there is some slight variation) the former muddy one would be my choice as the better one.

May 18, 2004 at 3:58 AM Post #5 of 51
Thanks for the responses

gsferrari - I hope not
frown.gif

RHMMMM - I don't think it's the sennheiser sound, when I first got the HD650 it sounded very crisp and clean, instrument separation was excellent.

sacd lover - What kind of sound signature did the other pair take on? My muddiness doesn't seem to be disappearing
frown.gif
, I'll give it three more days of burn-in. If it doesn't return to normal it's back to sennheiser corp for an exchange.

May 18, 2004 at 4:17 AM Post #6 of 51
The non-muddy pair always stayed neutral and had a touch of brightness in the lower treble as it broke in. The muddy pair was dark and congested sounding after starting out clean and neutral like the other pair. This was noticeable long enough that I thought something was wrong with that pair. When I compared amps I always preferred the amp with the more neutral of the two headphones. Once I switched the senns for some reason and I realized the amp I liked best depended on which pair of senns were hooked up. About the time I decided to call Todd I got my oehlbach cables. I used the muddy pair to break in the cables. One day they were back to normal. I can barely tell the two apart now but the former muddy pair has a smoother sound and better bass impact. The difference is slight but I know this pair because they have never loosened up like the other pair and dont fit as well. I wonder if the difference wasnt the stock cable.
confused.gif
The muddiness disappeared after I ditched the stock cable but it could have just needed more break in.

May 18, 2004 at 4:51 AM Post #8 of 51
Weird.

Treat the HD650 as a $1500 headphone for purposes of selecting associated equipment.

Cheers,
Geek

May 18, 2004 at 4:55 AM Post #9 of 51
My HD-650's are well past the 200 hour mark and I am sure I dont hear anything amiss...

But I never used the stock cables since I got the oelbach cables and I did most of my listening since then...

I have another glassman made cable now...beautiful

I dont think there is any reason to worry...try the Oelbach first...

May 18, 2004 at 5:05 AM Post #10 of 51
Well, a swollen index finger and 20 minutes later, I can safely say that the cable doesn't seem to be the problem. I did notice a small ( probably placebo effect ) dip in background blackness, but other than that.. notta'.

Geek - I am aware that the true potential for the HD 580/600/650 series is unleashed on a high-end setup, but they still should be able to perform decent on a mid-fi set up.

gsferrari - I plan on getting a silver dragon replacement cable in the near future, but my fear is that it won't fix the problem.

May 18, 2004 at 5:26 AM Post #11 of 51
Not sure that it helps but 'cause you are sort of desperate try to clean plugs with electrical contact cleaner, somebody on that board reported a problem with them as well with RF interference and unshielded stock cable.

May 18, 2004 at 7:47 AM Post #13 of 51
This has nothing to contribute to the discussion, its just an observation--your set up is identical to mine, save amps. That being said, I was planning on springing for HD650s, but I may wait to see how this sorts itself out for you.

May 19, 2004 at 3:03 AM Post #15 of 51
Well, another 15 hours of heavy burn-in passed. Only audible difference is that instruments sound a little bit clearer, crispy I would say. But there's still something amiss with the HD650s, I can't quite put my finger on it, but compared to the hd580s... instrument separation is completely whack.

sacd lover - Did you ever get around to trying the stock cables on the muddy pair again?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back