HD650s sounding weird
May 30, 2004 at 9:17 AM Post #46 of 51
I'm getting an aftermarket cable for hd650 ,I'm quite quite undecided - price is not limiting ..friends give me an help now please
Which is the wise cable for having the sound a little more airy open and bass extended [size=xx-small] but not changed signature [/size]
Maybe the cardas as HR suggest ? or the zu as many here go with it - someone say it's a microphonic sounding cable
rolleyes.gif
..?
which one

I don't want to change the character of the senns
+ I really don't want something to get prominet around the midrange too
My major issue is having the sound as natural and true to life as it can get ( so surely not overly bright as many headphones do it )

May 30, 2004 at 9:33 AM Post #47 of 51
I'm going to pick up a Zu soon and one more cable and test them against my Cardas. I'm waiting to get a decent deal on a used one. I just want to see what they do differently...

I'll keep you informed of my findings..
coolphones.gif

Probably pick up a silver IC cable, too to see what the combo does to my system...

May 30, 2004 at 8:03 PM Post #48 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ward
There seems to be a pattern in our experience with the HD650: Initally prominent bass, a period of congestion or muddiness, increasing clarity over time, and a more balanced sound as break-in continues.

My experience is EXACTLY the same as everyone else's. Kind of weird in a way, I suppose. After about 20 hours I wondered where the bass went and I was disappointed. I thought, "Oh, no, what a mistake I've made." But now it's awfully nice. So well balanced.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ward
OT. Does anyone else find that headphones have sensitized them to bass in music? Seems to me I'm hearing the bass from all audio sources that I never noticed before.

BW

Same here.

May 30, 2004 at 9:29 PM Post #49 of 51
I've changed so many variables in my system since I got the 650s in February (most notably the recent addition of the Jolida JD100A and a Cardas cable), but I have had a similarly weird experience with them. They started out very dark and bass heavy but with better resolution than my reference HD600s, even after my initial 150 hrs of burn-in. I tried the Equinox cable but it didn't really change the sonic signature at all. At that point I preferred the light and airy sounding 600s (even stock!), and I kind of gave up on the 650s (I should've kept putting hours on them). About 6 weeks later I slapped on a Clou red cable which boosted the treble a bit. I liked that better, so I started wavering between them and the 600s. The 600s were still more airy, and the 650s + Clou had a tendency to sound a bit dry and unmusical (perhaps that's the Clou's fault). Last week I slapped on a Cardas cable, and since then everything's been gravy - the bass is a tad less powerful than before, but still much better than the 600s. Yes, the overall sound is now wonderfully natural and balanced. I haven't felt the least bit tempted to go back to the 600s. Maybe this balance is due to the Cardas (I still don't like the Equinox), maybe it's because I've finally passed the 250-300 hour mark, or maybe my ears have adjusted to the 650s signature. Maybe all of the above. The important thing is that I'm really happy with them now
smily_headphones1.gif

May 30, 2004 at 9:42 PM Post #50 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
BANG ON!!!!

250 - 270 hours I have finally achieved HD-650 nirvana.

If it gets better from here...
cool.gif

Right now - bliss with classical music.

Bass is not as powerful as it was before but it still goes VERY deep and has a tight...KICK to it. It just doesnt dominate the sound like it did before...which is a good thing.

I love it this way and would like to freeze it...but if it gets any better I will be very happy
eggosmile.gif

I have to wait THAT long for my new 650 to burn in!?!? Patience is certainly not my strong suit, I want to listen!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back