HD650s sounding weird
May 19, 2004 at 4:32 AM Post #16 of 51
A few months ago I went to a high-end audio shop that had a well-broken in pair of HD-600's (for all practical purposes, let's assume the 580 and 600 are the same 'phones) and I compared them to a comparatively less broken-in pair of HD-650's through a Carlo-modded Gilmore (stepped attenuator, Cardas wiring, etc.) from the new flagship Arcam FMJ CD33 CDP. I was at that shop for a good three hours with my brother (Dan the Audioman). What I found are similar to your findings:
The broken-in HD-600's had a noticeably better sense of 'air' and space between the instruments; it was a truly beautiful sound (though I still preferred my HP-2's). The not-so-broken in HD-650's were comparatively more muddled and 'confused' sounding, with less midbass (a good thing, IMO) albeit a much less clear sense of instrument seperation and decreased airiness.

However, when I went to the recent Chicago meet, I compared equally broken-in HD-600's to the HD-650's (both with Equinox cables) through my Melos and I thought they were both great 'phones. In that setup, with a Cary CDP driving the Melos, the HD-650's sounded better, although the HD-600's weren't far behind. I still can't conclusively say which one I like better now, because I've heard both sound good in different systems with different amounts of break-in! All I can say that I've really learned from this is that the HD-650's can evidently be very different beasts after break in, although I'd really like to spend time with both the HD-600's and the HD-650's before I decide which is The King Dynamic Senn.

May 19, 2004 at 7:26 PM Post #17 of 51
Well, a update.

I've given up trying to get the HD650s to sound the way they did. It just took all the pleasure away from listening to music. I decided I'll just let it burn in slowly and enjoy the music, and maybe in 1-2 months I'll compare the HD650s to the HD580s again.

May 19, 2004 at 9:21 PM Post #18 of 51
Sounds like a good idea, when the 650s were burning in I found that they went through periods where they just sounded like garbage even after I thought they were broken in although in the end they came out fine.

May 19, 2004 at 11:04 PM Post #19 of 51
Rather than start another 650 thread, I figured I'd just add on to this one. My 650s showed up today and right out of the box I noticed a better defined high end than on my 600s (playing Joe Jackson's Body And Soul). The rest sounded muddy though but I expected this without burn-in. I pulled my Cardas off the 600s and installed them on the 650s (threw a Colu Blue on the 600s) to no noticable improvement. Gonna' have to burn them in. I have them plugged into a receiver playing inter-station FM hiss right now (my usual burn-in process). Patience. I know it will be worth the wait.

May 19, 2004 at 11:23 PM Post #20 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by OneMalt
Rather than start another 650 thread, I figured I'd just add on to this one. My 650s showed up today and right out of the box I noticed a better defined high end than on my 600s. The rest sounded muddy though but I expected this without burn-in

I had the exact opposite opinion
eek.gif

I thought the 650 was a lot more rolled off than the HD-600 which I think is the brightest among the HD-580,600 and 650.

I thought they were muddy too and after around 100 hours I still think they are not yet where I want them to be as far as tightness is concerned. It is getting better without the "brraaat" and "dblooop" sounds that used to accompany the bass. No adjusting to sound here...marked improvement after 100 hours.

You think around 300 hours should do it? If so then I will plonk the Stereophile test CD's burn-in track on repeat for a full two weeks and see where I stand
tongue.gif
LOL

May 19, 2004 at 11:45 PM Post #21 of 51
Yeah, like you're not going to listen for two weeks!
icon10.gif

May 20, 2004 at 12:00 AM Post #23 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
Hmmm... Mine seem to have taken a step backwards... I'm somewhere between 50-100 hours. Very strange.

Don't worry. This is normal with the HD 650. Mine had settled down after 150 hours, but some take even longer.

peacesign.gif

May 20, 2004 at 11:28 PM Post #24 of 51
update:

It appears my HD650s have finally settled down, yesterday as I was listening I could sense that it was 'almost there', so I left it burning in for 24 hours and it did the job. Yay
smily_headphones1.gif

May 21, 2004 at 5:26 AM Post #25 of 51
Mine sounded VERY thin after a 20 hours break in routine with the Stereophile test CD Break-in tune. I was quite alarmed but after listening for a few hours I can conclude that although the sound has changed...it is still changing and I hope it will settle down somewhere nice
tongue.gif

Bass is thin
Detail is excellent - better than before...
instrument separation and soundstage has improved

I am a bit upset about the dip in the bass and midrange power...maybe it will improve with time...

Gah! Why did I go and try to break it in
tongue.gif
it was sounding just fine all by itself
tongue.gif

But I guess this would have happened at some point of time or the other...

May 21, 2004 at 6:59 AM Post #27 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
Hmmm... Mine seem to have taken a step backwards... I'm somewhere between 50-100 hours. Very strange. I hope this thread didn't put a suggestion in my head.
biggrin.gif

At about that point in their burn-in I detested them. It all worked out in the end though!

May 21, 2004 at 10:31 AM Post #28 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by mxs1030
For the past 2 weeks I've been struggling to get my HD650s back to sounding like it did the first couple weeks I had it. I'm not really good at using the audio terminology, but I'll try my best to describe it.

Compared to the HD580s, the HD650s sound too forward, when the piano hits, it seems to overwhelm every other instrument. The "background blackness" is much blacker on the HD580, while it always sounds like something is humming on the HD650s. I can pick out recording defects more easily on the HD580s than the HD650s, and in general, the HD580s sound more realistic than the HD650s.

Ughhghghghg, at first I thought my HD650s was just going through the burn-in phase, so I left it on burning-in bassy music for about 50 hours. The first couple weeks I had it, it trounced the HD580s in every aspect, now it just sounds muddy.

I have about 120 hours on the HD650s, what should I do???

Edit: My setup

cambridge audio azur 640c -> nordost black knight interconnects -> perreaux SXH-1

Perhaps Sennheiser HD 580 is a better headphone to you ears.
I am not a fan of the holy agreement, that the most expensive thing always is the best.

Georg Langrath

May 21, 2004 at 11:03 AM Post #29 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geek
Weird.

Treat the HD650 as a $1500 headphone for purposes of selecting associated equipment.

Cheers,
Geek

I'm still trying to work out whether this was posted by someone who hijacked Geek's account and was trying to take the p!ss
evil_smiley.gif

The borrowed pair I've been listening to have probably gone through the physical conditioning of the drivers as nothing is changing as I continue to listen. I'm hearing different things to what I heard at the meet, but that's natural.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back