HD650s sound bright -- am I nuts?
Oct 29, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #16 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by WalkGood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you provide where you get this information? Why would they change a proven set of cans o_O

I've also heard about this, that there are two different versions of the HD650s. I'm not entirely sure how to tell the difference, or what the differences in sound are between the two. So I too am curious about this.

I suspect that mine are the newer version, because I purchased them new on Amazon a month ago...

Oct 29, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #17 of 42
jsplice, I bought mine new too but almost 2 yrs ago now and they're far from bright like the op states and I'm very happy with their sound signature. But still want to know if this is true or correct as people always ask me about mine and I highly recommend them, if they've changed I might not recommend any more or at least I'd have to hear for myself first.

Oct 29, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #18 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by TStewart422 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not some magical "synergy." That's a tiny thing at best. It's because you're using an uncolored SS amp. You're hearing EXACTLY what the headphones sound like. If you want something different with the same headphones, get a tube amp.

If the term synergy offends you, use another word. The fact is: the favorable combination of the right amp with the right cans is what results in a pleasurable listening experience. And everyone has to find that combination to suit their own individual taste. What some call "uncolored SS," other call "harsh and unmusical."

Music listening is an aesthetic endeavor, not an engineering project. Obviously, the engineering contributes to the results but an unnatural focus on that element alone detracts from the whole point of listening to music in the first place. This is the fallacy of audiophillia which fetishes sound quality above all and ends up obsessing over mostly mediocre music while rejecting great art because of recorded fidelity. There are, fortunately, examples of the best of both worlds and that's what keeps some of us interested!
icon10.gif

Oct 30, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #21 of 42
Yes, you are nuts. The DT770/80 is not warm; it has huge resonant bass, severely scooped mids, and a sibilant peaky treble. The HD650 is rolled off in the treble and has a bit of a boost in the bass, but nowhere near as much as the DT770.

Oct 30, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #22 of 42
Well this is really unfortunate. I, for one, hate even slightly bright sounding components. It's frustrating that Sennheiser didn't call the new version "HD650 MK II" or something. Trying to slip in modifications without making it obvious that there is a new version is ridiculous. All the reviews I read were obviously based on the original, warm, "veiled" version.

Oct 30, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #23 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, you are nuts. The DT770/80 is not warm; it has huge resonant bass, severely scooped mids, and a sibilant peaky treble. The HD650 is rolled off in the treble and has a bit of a boost in the bass, but nowhere near as much as the DT770.

You are obviously referring to the original version of the 650s. I have yet to hear these, but I would probably agree with everyone else if I *did* hear them. As of right now, my HD650s "MK II" are brighter than my DT770s, no question about it. I will agree that the bass is more bloated, but in a way it is more satisfying than the sound of these new650s. I have a good feeling these will be in the "for sale" section very soon.

Oct 30, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #24 of 42
Making a statement of change is fine, but please show us where you get this information. I've looked all over sennheiser worlwide web site and don't see any referance to change. I did see the 2 red highlighted items below, but I'm not convinced that means anything has changed other than marketing hype:
Quote:

General Description
The audiophile HD 650 is the ultimate in open, dynamic headphone design. Developed from the award-winning HD 600, the HD 650s feature improved materials for even better sound reproduction. They captivate the listener with their expressiveness and emotion while maintaining absolute precision and lifelike reproduction. Enjoy sound in perfection!

Features:
  1. Systems with narrow tolerances (± 1 dB), hand-picked in pairs
  2. Highly optimised magnet systems for minimum harmonic and intermodulation distortion
  3. High-quality titanium/silver finish
  4. A specially developed damping element, made from fine acoustic metal mesh, ensures a precise damping over the entire diaphragm surface, highly constant in all climates.
  5. Specially modulated connecting cable (detachable) made from highly conductive OFC copper, Kevlar-reinforced, with very low handling noise, i.e. low structure-borne sound sensitivity
  6. Extremely lightweight aluminium voice coils ensure excellent transient response
  7. Gold plated ¼” jack plug with adaptor lead to 3.5 mm jack plug
  8. 2-year warranty

Sennheiser Worldwide - HD 650

Oct 30, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #25 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarKu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The new version of HD650 is indeed more bright, i has less bass and more treble energy, there are some threads about this. I like the new version more, it has no veil and it is more detailed

Precisely... and if you prefer a "gradoish" sound... the new version of the HD650s may be "your cup of tea." They're definitely mine. Much better sound than the old version - by far!

The "new" vs "old" version is discussed extensively in an earlier thread - look for it, if you want the details. As far as why Sennheiser has concealed this change... is anyone's guess... but, they have.

With the right amp... there are few phones that are any better - much better balanced than the old version, and not the least dark, or veiled... and... some might even find them too "bright."

Oct 30, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #26 of 42
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/sen...ctures-230845/

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/old...hd650s-318945/

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/new...-hd650-374469/

Suppose it's my fault for not doing more research. Unfortunately all the reviews I was reading of the 650s before buying must have mostly been based on the old version. I specifically like dark/warm sounding gear, so the reviews that I read are what led me to get the 650s. The fact that Sennheiser would make these types of changes and not inform the community really upsets me.

frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by WalkGood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Making a statement of change is fine, but please show us where you get this information. I've looked all over sennheiser worlwide web site and don't see any referance to change. I did see the 2 red highlighted items below, but I'm not convinced that means anything has changed other than marketing hype:

Sennheiser Worldwide - HD 650

Oct 30, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #27 of 42
I suggest they needs HEAPS of burn in, much more than you've given them thus far. 500+ hours of continual burn in, preferably with white noise. I found my 650s bright at first, at least in the upper midrange, not extreme treble. I actually sold 2 pair before I found the patience to fully burn them in. They're like the AKG 701--it takes weeks. I personally don't believe headphones should need this protracted treatment, but some do. My 595s by contrast changed only mildly with burn-in.

Oct 30, 2009 at 8:31 AM Post #28 of 42
Jsplice..try to give them some more time, they tend to open up a little with burn in. I ,like you, also got the new version and was very unsatisfied by the sound at first. it is just a question of the right setup.
my earmax pro tube amp is giving them just what they need..extra push in the bass, and thicker sound.

but the question is: do you like the overall sound..? do you feel their potential? I did, so I decided to invest in an amp just for them. but usually it is not worth to build a rig based on cans you don't like in the first place.

Oct 30, 2009 at 10:36 AM Post #30 of 42
I was in the same situation, coming from a warm IEM (Future Sonics ātrio) and having sensitive ears (little tinnitus) the HD 650's treble was way too much with the my first DAC/amp combo especially with crap recordings. I was surprised like you, having read the reviews about this mellow, forgiving phones. Now I switched to the Heed DAC/CanAmp combo that used to be recommended to "warm up" the AKG 701, and it's much better for me, smoother highs, super mids.

What's strange that last week I was able to compare the HD 650 and the HD 800 on a high-end show from a similar DAC/amp combo like my first "harsh" one was. The 650 is dark, I mean DARK compared to the HD 800...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back