HD650s sound bright -- am I nuts?
Oct 29, 2009 at 12:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

jsplice

500+ Head-Fier
I've had my HD650s for about a month now, and ever since I've had them, they have sounded analytical and bright to me. Thus far I've been assuming that it's my other equipment that is generating this bright sound. First I started with an Audio-gd Compass, which I recently returned because it sounded horribly bright. Now I'm using an Elekit TU-882 tube amp with Cambridge Audio DacMagic, and it still sounds on the bright side (though much more tame than the Compass). I've just ordered an Emotiva ERC-1 cd player to replace the DacMagic in an attempt to get a smoother sound in the treble, so I'll see how that goes when it shows up tomorrow.

Today when I got to work, I plugged in my iBasso D2 Boa and Beyerdynamic DT770-80, and instantly I remembered why I loved these headphones so much. They sound smooth, non-fatiging, and engaging. I hate to say it, but I get more enjoyment out of this rig than my $1200 rig at home. What is going on here? I bought the 650s on the assumption that they were warm and smooth, based on countless reviews that said so. But I'm now finding that it's the DT770s that are warm, exciting, and engaging.....

Oct 29, 2009 at 12:46 PM Post #3 of 42
I have mine paired with a Woo Audio 6 and I'm happier than a pig in mud
tongue.gif

The highs are realistic and very acceptable, the mids are awsome and the bass is to great to describe.

Oct 29, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #5 of 42
you are not nuts...that's exactly how I felt when I first listened to my HD650 with my SS headroom rig. the were lacking in bass and the mids were also too farward to my tastes. the highs were ok.
I am coming from the denon ah-d5000,so you can guess why I was unsatisfied.

I got the earmax pro tube amp especially for them (because I heard their potential and loved the overll sound) , and now they are rocking.
the bass is full and the mids are slightly laid back....let's say that this is the sound I thought that I would get straight from a ss amp, I didn't thought that I would need a tube amp for them, but I was surprised.

some say that the new version of the HD650 are more balanced sounding than the older version.

Oct 29, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #6 of 42
Perhaps your choice of cables are affecting the ''brightness'' you are experiencing? Silver has been known to do this.

Oct 29, 2009 at 1:56 PM Post #7 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by betweentheears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps your choice of cables are affecting the ''brightness'' you are experiencing? Silver has been known to do this.

I really don't believe that cables will make a really HUGE change in sound signature. cables give a subtle changes, but it seems that he is really want some more serious bass into the sound, and only a change in the amp/source will do the trick.

Oct 29, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #8 of 42
hi jsplice.
The HD650 is not bright.

However, you are not nuts. There are a large number of reasons why this could be the case. I suspect your previous phone is the reason and your ears just need to adapt.
Oh I see your previous headphones were the DT770/80s. That's why the HD650 seem bright. Give it some time and you'll adjust. The DT770s wont ever sound 'muted' again, but the HD650 will stop sounding bright
wink.gif
I too prefer the 770 to the 650, though. 650 is just boring IMO

Oct 29, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #9 of 42
also the bass is starting to come out a little bit with burn in, but still after a 3 months of straight listening only to the HD650 weren't enough for me to get used to the sound. the bass were still very lacking.

Oct 29, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #11 of 42
Yes, I suspect your SS amp is not bringing the best out out your HD650. My LD Mk iii sounds wonderful with this set of cans, right from the get go...but my DT 770 didn't sound nearly as good with that tube amp.

Oct 29, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #12 of 42
I would also agree that amp/cans synergy is the likely issue. Mine sound great with the LD Mk IV. Bright would be the last word I'd use to describe their sound.

Oct 29, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #13 of 42
It's not some magical "synergy." That's a tiny thing at best. It's because you're using an uncolored SS amp. You're hearing EXACTLY what the headphones sound like. If you want something different with the same headphones, get a tube amp.

Oct 29, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #14 of 42
Thanks for all the input.

Well as I said in my first post, I did end up getting rid of the Compass and am now using an Elekit TU-882 tube amp. It did smooth out the treble a bit, but there is still a high amount of treble energy to the sound. My next step is to try another source instead of the DacMagic. If that makes little or no change, it may be time to sell the 650s.

Oct 29, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #15 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by pitom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
perhaps yours are the newer version of HD650 with silver driver cover..

Can you provide where you get this information? Why would they change a proven set of cans o_O

Users who are viewing this thread

Back