HD650's or New CD Player First?
May 15, 2004 at 6:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

whmacs

New Head-Fier
Hi All,
Up until now I've been using some Senn HD570's through a old Panasonic DVD player (has a headphone amp built in) at work. I've always thought the HD570 where on the "bright" side, but it hasn't been a big problem due to the "average" dynamic range of the DVD player I've been using. Last week I purchased a Perreaux SXH1 headphone amp and connected it to my modest (read reasonably cheap) Yamaha (CDX-396) dedicated CD player at home. While the SXH1 is wonderful and smooth, the dynamic range has been greatly increased (by the dedicated CD player and SXH1) and now the highs through the HD570 almost 'screech' in my ears ('bright' would be an understatement).

I'm very close to purchasing some Senn HD650's (based on this forum as I've never listened to them as no dealer carries them locally). My question is should I go for the HD650's now or upgrade my Yamaha CD player first (then get the HD650's when funds allow) as it would not do justice to the HD650's. If through my average CD player the HD650's smoothed out the highs and improved the muddy bass, I'd go ahead and order them, then upgrade the CD player when funds allowed. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Stephen

May 15, 2004 at 7:03 AM Post #2 of 15
HD650s won't sound too good with a poor source... I'd upgrade to a better source first, if you can afford it.

That said, they would probably smooth out the highs a bit... if they're anything like the 600s, they'll rarely sound harsh no matter what the source. They will reveal the flaws of your source, however. And if the headphone jack has a high impedance, they will be colored by that as well.

May 15, 2004 at 7:15 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by whmacs
Hi All,
Up until now I've been using some Senn HD570's through a old Panasonic DVD player (has a headphone amp built in) at work. I've always thought the HD570 where on the "bright" side, but it hasn't been a big problem due to the "average" dynamic range of the DVD player I've been using. Last week I purchased a Perreaux SXH1 headphone amp and connected it to my modest (read reasonably cheap) Yamaha (CDX-396) dedicated CD player at home. While the SXH1 is wonderful and smooth, the dynamic range has been greatly increased (by the dedicated CD player and SXH1) and now the highs through the HD570 almost 'screech' in my ears ('bright' would be an understatement).

I'm very close to purchasing some Senn HD650's (based on this forum as I've never listened to them as no dealer carries them locally). My question is should I go for the HD650's now or upgrade my Yamaha CD player first (then get the HD650's when funds allow) as it would not do justice to the HD650's. If through my average CD player the HD650's smoothed out the highs and improved the muddy bass, I'd go ahead and order them, then upgrade the CD player when funds allowed. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Stephen

If I were you I would get the 650s and pick up a Toshiba 3950/3960/4900 (these run, what, 60-70 bucks?). The Toshiba & Perreaux will be way more than sufficient to make the 650s totally embarrass the 570s. Or if that's too much over your budget you can substitute in the 600s. In my experience the Toshiba performs out of its price league, and it is not a poor source by any means. So IMO, with the toshiba & perreaux, your quickest route up the hifi ladder will be to upgrade your headphones.

* I have not heard the 570s but the general concensus on this forum is that they really suck. I have owned the 600s, 650s, Perreaux, and Toshiba.

May 15, 2004 at 7:39 AM Post #4 of 15
get the phones first. It'd be a big upgrade to your current set-up whereas a source upgrade will be wasted on the HD570. You can start enjoying the benefits of a phone upgrade and the difference in a new source when you do get it.

May 15, 2004 at 8:02 AM Post #5 of 15
Stephen,

What is your budget for the new source? Is it the new price of the Senns?

May 15, 2004 at 8:15 AM Post #6 of 15
Stephen,

What is your budget for the new source? Is it the new price of the Senns?

May 15, 2004 at 8:46 AM Post #7 of 15
You might consider upgrading the phones. I just upgraded my HD600s to a pair of Stax. My source: Philips CD 104 from 1985. No complaints, really.

Regards,

L.

May 15, 2004 at 8:47 AM Post #8 of 15
Even though the source is really important and in my opinion more important than the amp, I would definately upgrade the headphones first. The statement regarding source "crap in, crap out" certainly is correct but without good headphones it doesn't matter how good the signal from the cd player is. The jump from a pair of decent headphones to a good pair of headphones is huge, the jump from a decent source to a good source is smaller IMO. Also, you already have a very good amp, so there'd be no problem of underpowering the HD 650.
To take it to the extreme, I'd rather have a Slimx 350 and a Perreaux and HD 650 than a Meridian and a Perreaux and HD 570.

May 15, 2004 at 10:03 AM Post #9 of 15
Hi All,
Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate the advice. It sounds like the general consenus is to go for the HD650's over the new source and ditch the HD570's. Saying that, I can appreciate the need to provide a good input to the HD650. To put things in perspective, a pair of HD650's cost around $800 AUD here in Australia. The Yamaha CD player cost $350 AUD. When funds permit, I would like to replace this with either a Rotel RCD-1072 or an Arcam. I'll also look into the other sources people have mentioned. I would budget around the same as the cost of the HD650's for a new source.

cheers,
Stephen

May 15, 2004 at 3:24 PM Post #10 of 15
You have already came close to maxing out the performance of the HD570. Actually, its more like the HD570 is not capable of doing much in the first place.

Get the HD650 first. The amp and source can come later.

May 15, 2004 at 4:38 PM Post #13 of 15
It's a shame how many people were duped into putting out considerable cash for those HD570's. Now they are reluctant to trash them for better ones, even though they sound really bad.

Sennehiser should give every registered owner a free pair of HD580's (at least) as restitution!
wink.gif

May 15, 2004 at 4:41 PM Post #14 of 15
Go 4 the cans!
I'm not too familiar with yamaha cd players, but they sound decent for the time being. Later take a big step in source like sacd players from denon, sony es, or marantz. Save more and more.

May 15, 2004 at 5:15 PM Post #15 of 15
I normally would suggest to go for a better source first, but in your case go for the HD650s. Your HD-650 would never be out of place even if your get those $$$$ CDPs in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back