HD650s. . . .OMG. . . terr. . .
Nov 20, 2003 at 3:11 AM Post #46 of 107
An IMPORTANT NOTE about the stock cable and replacement cables:

The fit even for the stock cable is TREMENDOUSLY TIGHT! I WAS TOO WEAK TO PULL THE STOCK CABLE OUT! I had to have my dad help me with that.

If you're not very strong, consider outside help if you also want a cable upgrade with the HD650.

Cheers,
Geek

Nov 20, 2003 at 3:14 AM Post #48 of 107
Quote:

Originally posted by qwerty870
I always found the HD600s slightly too bright so I think I shall purchase a pair of HD650s sometime soon.

If you found the 600s "bright" you will love the 650s.

Nov 20, 2003 at 3:20 AM Post #49 of 107
I really must emphasize the point that lextek brought up, that the HD600s do have a higher quantity of highs in proportion to the rest of the frequency spectrum.

What makes the HD650s sound so organic is the emphasis that its tonal balance creates on the lows and mids. You are drawn in to the real musical beef, so to speak, and less on high end detail, though its all there and imho just as clear as the HD600s.

Cheers,
Geek

Nov 20, 2003 at 3:21 AM Post #50 of 107
Quote:

Originally posted by Geek
An IMPORTANT NOTE about the stock cable and replacement cables:

The fit even for the stock cable is TREMENDOUSLY TIGHT! I WAS TOO WEAK TO PULL THE STOCK CABLE OUT! I had to have my dad help me with that.

If you're not very strong, consider outside help if you also want a cable upgrade with the HD650.

Cheers,
Geek

I also think the connection is better with the 650s. It seems like they "click" in. THis was a problem with the 600s.

Nov 20, 2003 at 3:32 AM Post #51 of 107
I don't know which one's connectors I like better. I think the 650s are solid and tight, but it's almost too much, even for a nerd like me that throws his equipment into the car and drives off to LAN parties frequently. I haven't ever experenced cable connection problems with the HDxxx series that were an issue.

I really want to try the stock cable, but I can't remove the cardas, so I'll be listening to that I guess
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers,
Geek

Nov 20, 2003 at 3:39 AM Post #52 of 107
Welcome to the Lextek/Geek HD650 show. The new cables are nice. I think the actual connection in the headphone is different. Not just the tight fit. I will try the 650s agian in a few months. Give the ears a break. I'll stay with Etys for a while.

Nov 20, 2003 at 4:13 AM Post #53 of 107
To each his own. I'm going to sign off for the night. I'll update everyone tomorrow, mabye in the morning.

My parents were quite nice. They put fifty dollars towards the HD650s! It was my birthday yesterday. Nothing quite beats having a hot pair of headphones to listen to on your birthday in addition to a party, eating dinner with your girlfriend, and spending some time with the family.

Good night all.

Cheers,
Geek

Nov 20, 2003 at 5:31 AM Post #55 of 107
Stay tuned everyone for another episode of "The lextek and Geek Show!"

Scenes from the next episode:

lextek finds the midrange of his HD650's have not quite come around yet and is suspicious that it could only be for one reason and one reason only: Geek! He's stolen lextek's midrange! Or has he? Is lextek off his rocker? Is Geek a theif and a crook? Is this the end of our favorite dynamic duo? Tune in tomorrow, same Head-time, same Head-channel...

Nov 20, 2003 at 5:35 AM Post #56 of 107
I know Lextek personally. He is off his rocker. And he is wandering up and down Main St. in just a trench coat looking for his midrange. The saga coninues......

Nov 20, 2003 at 5:46 AM Post #57 of 107
Quote:

Originally posted by Sean H
Stay tuned everyone for another episode of "The lextek and Geek Show!"

Scenes from the next episode:

lextek finds the midrange of his HD650's have not quite come around yet and is suspicious that it could only be for one reason and one reason only: Geek! He's stolen lextek's midrange! Or has he? Is lextek off his rocker? Is Geek a theif and a crook? Is this the end of our favorite dynamic duo? Tune in tomorrow, same Head-time, same Head-channel...

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Nov 20, 2003 at 11:22 PM Post #58 of 107
These things at the 20-30 hour stage are sounding dark compared directly with the HD600s. The balance is there it just seems shifted in favor of the bass in comparision to the 600s. Also the highs sound less brittle, which is a good thing.

Cheers,
Geek

Nov 21, 2003 at 12:21 AM Post #59 of 107
I've now jumped on the 650 bandwagon myself, and should have them next week. I've ordered Moon Silver Dragon cable as well but those will be a few weeks coming. Will post opinions as they come!

Nov 21, 2003 at 12:30 AM Post #60 of 107
kentamcolin,

Congrats. Post your initial impressions when they arrive. Let them break in for at least 50-100 hours if you're having doubts about the sound.

Cheers,
Geek

Users who are viewing this thread

Back