HD650's and Little Dot MKV
Feb 24, 2010 at 3:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

MisterMoJo

500+ Head-Fier
Does anyone else here NOT like their HD650's with the Little Dot MKV?? I have had mine (both items) for almost a year now, and found I listened to the combination less and less. I just found I stopped enjoying them as much as time went by. I then had occasion to listen to the HD650's through the headphone jack on my Denon receiver. My initial impression: I like the sound much better through the receiver. To me, the MKV and the HD650's sound flat and weak. I hear more dynamic range through the jack on the Denon receiver, even with the tone controls defeated. I just find the sound more lively. I am sure there are ppl here who will disagree. I would like to hear from you
bigsmile_face.gif
. So my question is: Who has this combination of headphone amp and phones and agrees or disagrees?

Feb 24, 2010 at 3:53 AM Post #2 of 20
Curious to hear the replys,

I just ordered an MKV for my HD650s and K701's so I'm anxious to hear what people have to say.

Its interesting to hear your opinion because Ive heard a lot about people listening more and more rather than less, How would you compare the MKV to unamped?

What are the main improvements?

Feb 25, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #6 of 20
That is a surprise to me. The Synergy between the HD650 and the Little Dot MK-V is nearly perfect. That said, I do use my Sennheiser HD650 with my Little Dot MKI with the LT1364 op-amp upgrade. I am also using the Cardas Audio Headphone cable.

Feb 26, 2010 at 2:57 AM Post #8 of 20
bdr529:
Hi, I use the denon receiver as a pass through for the signals on their way to the LD. My understanding of how the receiver works, the analog sound should just pass through unaltered. So, yes they use the exact same source. I have more details about what equipment I have in my profile if that helps.

yklee118:
That's interesting. I am not sure about the internals of the MKV. But I bet your upgrade makes a positive impact on the sound quality. Maybe I should mention I have a cable upgrade as well, the headphile black gold. I don't think this makes a difference, though. Since I used the cable on both headphone jacks, and I think the cable upgrade was a positive improvement in sound quality. That said, I will have to think about that a bit.

Feb 26, 2010 at 3:02 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by debitsohn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tuuuubbbbeeesssss.

QFT

also, make sure you have a dedicated source.

Feb 26, 2010 at 4:51 AM Post #10 of 20
I can confirm that swapping out those two cheap (60 cents each) opamps can make this amp to perform MUCH better. Then, other things can be done to make it even better. I am using LT1364 too. I also like 627BP.

Feb 26, 2010 at 8:17 AM Post #12 of 20
I tried the LD MkV with my 650 when the amp first came out and found the sound bland. The 650 needs something that injects a bit of life into it, and I'm not surprised your Denon receiver does a better job.

Feb 26, 2010 at 8:43 AM Post #13 of 20
I find that the HD650 tones down a lot of my music which is great with some types of metal/techno. I also enjoy the warm bass they have. I think the sound they produce should be taken as a liking or a disliking based on what you expect.

Compared to the 702s they have far less energy, but I find they are a lot more detailed, even with the extended bass. How does the denon receiver change their sound signature?

Feb 26, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by TabooPc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Compared to the 702s they have far less energy, but I find they are a lot more detailed, even with the extended bass. How does the denon receiver change their sound signature?

Well, I guess the main thing is they sound more lively. I think the sound from the receiver is more engaging and "in your face". Less distant. That's about the best I can do without more knowledge and experience with headphones.

Also: I'd have to say the sound is darker and less detailed with the receiver.

Feb 27, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #15 of 20
I didn't find the MKV anything special with HD-650s. I found it equal to the headphone out of my Lavry DA-10 that I owned at the time. I did swap the opamps with HDAMs, and while that did improve things a little, the C2C I bought after it was more detailed and seemed to drive headphones better. If we take Skylab's review comments on the C2C and similarly priced amps at face value, then the MKV doesn't look like such great value now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back