HD650s and Fast Music.
Sep 1, 2014 at 12:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

trentrosa

100+ Head-Fier
I've had my HD650s for a couple of years and I love them, they're sound signature is beautiful, however I'm finding their performance lacking in faster, more complicated music. For slow music, or music with less treble and fewer instruments they are amazing; smooth, laid back, and non fatiguing. I like it that way, but once the music gets quicker, it seems the sound blends, the instrument separation becomes nearly non-existant, and I get a hint of glare. I'm running them through a Bottlehead Crack with speedball, upgraded output caps, and a Tung Sol 5998. Is there a way to fix these observations? I've read running the headphones balanced heals this, however it seems the cost of a balanced amp would be better spent on new headphones that will work with my existing amp, one I plan on keeping on my desk for a long time.

Any opinions?

Sep 1, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #2 of 10
Replace the earpads - my HD600 sound exactly like that when the earpads are too compressed.

EDIT:

I'm also using my HD600 (and HD650s at meets) with a Meier Cantate.2 - tried a bunch of amps and DACs/sources prior to this one and this one sounds the fastest even with older earpads. The following just made older earpads sound worse: Little Dot MkII+NOS DAC has too much bloom on the attack and a bit much decay, with the SuperPro707 it just got sharper in the treble; the diyMod+CMOY was too dark, lacked dynamics; diyMod+PB1 still a bit on the dark side, but some midrange notes had a bit too more bloom than I'd like.

Sep 1, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #5 of 10
Yup, is just a slow headphone. I listen pretty much EDM deephouse and techhouse mixes exclusively, and always used to do this with HD650. Just didn't like it too much, eventually the DT880 just does it much better. I don't like audiophile talk about PRaT etc that much, but in this case is one of few I found from my experience it's true. The HD650 can't carry a good electronic beat to save its life, same for HD600.

Sep 1, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #7 of 10
  Yup, is just a slow headphone. I listen pretty much EDM deephouse and techhouse mixes exclusively, and always used to do this with HD650. Just didn't like it too much, eventually the DT880 just does it much better. I don't like audiophile talk about PRaT etc that much, but in this case is one of few I found from my experience it's true. The HD650 can't carry a good electronic beat to save its life, same for HD600.

That's weird - my HD600 does fine with a drummer doing double-pedal beats and a bassist slapping the strings with the thumb and pinkie in quick succession. Not any slower than the K701. Then again I don't listen to EDM save for what when there was a subgenre called "house," and when the CDs came with a cartoon bikini girl on a beach, and the bass decay on those aren't slow in my set-up.

Note though that I wear mine kind of loose (seven clicks out on each side, although head size is relative) and I hae newer pads (I cycle my newest pair with the slightly older pair now - after two weeks' rest then only two weeks' use they stay close to their as new thickness).

Sep 2, 2014 at 4:54 AM Post #8 of 10
  The beyerdynamic DT990, Ultrasone Pro 2900, Sony MA900 are pretty good with these genres music.

In that price range, add to that Hifiman HE-400 and modded M-Audio Q-40s. I'm also really liking the AKG Q701's with electronica.  

I own the HD-650s, and I very much love them, but I tend to agree with some of your observations regarding its fit with electronica. They become a bit faster when driven by my Lyr, and I'm sure there are other amps that make them really shine with all genres. 

Sep 2, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #9 of 10

I own the HD-650s, and I very much love them, but I tend to agree with some of your observations regarding its fit with electronica. They become a bit faster when driven by my Lyr, and I'm sure there are other amps that make them really shine with all genres. 

Add to that the Asgard; the Meier Cantate, Headfive, Stepdance, and the USB DAC-HPamps; also the Burson Conductor and Soloist. For DAPs, there's the DX100 and X5 (haven't tried the DX50 and X3 on it).

For a list of the ones I know that sound a little "slow," or make old earpads sound much, much worse, I listed them down at post #2.

Sep 2, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #10 of 10
Of course, now the amp is the problem. I should have known
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back