HD650 user... to recable, or to Sony?
Nov 23, 2005 at 10:18 PM Post #16 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells
Art: If you are young with sensitivity to treble, the Sony SA 5000 may be bright for you. The HD650 dips down at 10K then rises back, while the SA5000 peaks up at 10K then falls back. The SA5000 is brighter and the HD650 is duller.

The SA5000 forms focused images in space better, and has a more natural timbre. The HD650, while more colored in timbre has a very pleasing timbre.

The SA5000 has superior transient response and dynamic impact.

The SA5000 separates instruments better in complex passages (the HD650 gets muddled more, and blends instruments more into a single mass).

The HD650 has a slightly more expanded soundstage and slightly more deep bass.

I prefer the SA5000 - many prefer the HD650.

You can find the SA 5000 for about $370 total. Check buy.com when they have 10 percent off or check etronics.com (I think that's it).

Drarthurwells, this is a particularly accurate summary of the difference between the two, IMO. I have both and also prefer the SA5K. Another thing rarely mentioned is the Sony's exceptional performance at low volume.

I also have the CD3000 which was a longtime favorite prior to the arrival of the SA5000. I can't imagine anyone who liked the CD3K being disappointed with the 5K. I find it a bit like a cross between the Ety ER4's detail and the comfort and soundstage of the CD3K. A solid improvement over both.

Nov 23, 2005 at 10:24 PM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by YngwieJMalmsteen
Have you considered DT 880? Only 210 shipped from meier right now, SO worth it.
880smile.png

Wow! Makes me want to pick up a spare. For me, the 880 is every bit the equal of the HD650. This is one I'd never part with unless replacing it with an updated model. Red pads, anyone?
tongue.gif

Nov 24, 2005 at 5:04 AM Post #19 of 33
My set up is the HD650 with an Equinox cable and a Channel Islands Audio Amp and upgraded external power supply. I love it!!

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Nov 24, 2005 at 5:16 AM Post #20 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63
How does the brightness of the SA5000 compare to the DT880?

I find my SA5000 a bit brighter then my DT880, but it's not harsh, IMHO, because of the detail that they display. Plus my tubes really bring both of them to awesome sound levels!

Nov 24, 2005 at 7:45 AM Post #21 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63
How does the brightness of the SA5000 compare to the DT880?

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheechoz
I find my SA5000 a bit brighter then my DT880, but it's not harsh, IMHO, because of the detail that they display. Plus my tubes really bring both of them to awesome sound levels!

Well I'd say DT880 is just a little bit brighter. Though I didn't hear it with a same source as SA5k.

Nov 24, 2005 at 7:58 AM Post #22 of 33
Originally Posted by drarthurwells:
Art: If you are young with sensitivity to treble, the Sony SA 5000 may be bright for you. The HD650 dips down at 10K then rises back, while the SA5000 peaks up at 10K then falls back. The SA5000 is brighter and the HD650 is duller.

The SA5000 forms focused images in space better, and has a more natural timbre. The HD650, while more colored in timbre has a very pleasing timbre.

The SA5000 has superior transient response and dynamic impact.

The SA5000 separates instruments better in complex passages (the HD650 gets muddled more, and blends instruments more into a single mass).

The HD650 has a slightly more expanded soundstage and slightly more deep bass.

I prefer the SA5000 - many prefer the HD650.

You can find the SA 5000 for about $370 total. Check buy.com when they have 10 percent off or check etronics.com (I think that's it).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spad
Drarthurwells, this is a particularly accurate summary of the difference between the two, IMO. I have both and also prefer the SA5K. Another thing rarely mentioned is the Sony's exceptional performance at low volume.

I also have the CD3000 which was a longtime favorite prior to the arrival of the SA5000. I can't imagine anyone who liked the CD3K being disappointed with the 5K. I find it a bit like a cross between the Ety ER4's detail and the comfort and soundstage of the CD3K. A solid improvement over both.

Art: Yes, you brought out a very important point which I completly overlooked - the SA5000's ability to sound great at low volume - quiet passages are exquisitely reproduced with fine resolution and imaging.

This is very important in classical music where the dynamic range goes from overpowering crescendos to extemely soft and delicate parts. I don't think any headphone can equal the SA5000 in properly handling such quiet passages, or loud ones either - great dynamics. This must be related to its high resolution of the signal.

Nov 26, 2005 at 2:16 AM Post #23 of 33
I find my Grado SR225 too bright and am thinking of going for the SA5000? Are the SA5000's less bright than Grados? Is the treble smooth and not grainy like the Grados? What about detail across the entire spectrum? usually when people talk about detail, they are talking about upper midrange and treble detail, but what about detail in the low frequencies like midbass and midrange?

Nov 26, 2005 at 11:17 AM Post #24 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt
I find my Grado SR225 too bright and am thinking of going for the SA5000? Are the SA5000's less bright than Grados? Is the treble smooth and not grainy like the Grados? What about detail across the entire spectrum? usually when people talk about detail, they are talking about upper midrange and treble detail, but what about detail in the low frequencies like midbass and midrange?

My Grado experience is with the SR60 and HP-2 - both very pleasing sound.

I assume you are using a portable or a computer source. You may be picking up on source/amp problems with bright and grainy treble, in which case, the SA5000 may be worse since it is more resolving of the signal.

Nov 26, 2005 at 3:40 PM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells
Art: Yes, you brought out a very important point which I completly overlooked - the SA5000's ability to sound great at low volume - quiet passages are exquisitely reproduced with fine resolution and imaging.

This is very important in classical music where the dynamic range goes from overpowering crescendos to extemely soft and delicate parts. I don't think any headphone can equal the SA5000 in properly handling such quiet passages, or loud ones either - great dynamics. This must be related to its high resolution of the signal.

This was the biggest reason i purchased my set, and they certainly didn't dissapoint.

Nov 28, 2005 at 2:48 AM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spad
Wow! Makes me want to pick up a spare. For me, the 880 is every bit the equal of the HD650. This is one I'd never part with unless replacing it with an updated model. Red pads, anyone?
tongue.gif

Buy them while you can. According to Meier's site, the DT880's are going out of production. Just ordered a pair.

Nov 28, 2005 at 3:04 AM Post #27 of 33
How does the brightness of the SA5000 compare to the HD650/Zu? I think that's the important question.

Not sure which phone would be better for you, but as someone who's also sensitive to brightness, I wonder why if you didn't like the Zu because it "was too biased towards the middle-high and high ends" you're focusing in on a phone that is also know for that (likely more so though I don't know from experience)?

Nov 28, 2005 at 4:31 AM Post #28 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
How does the brightness of the SA5000 compare to the HD650/Zu? I think that's the important question.

Not sure which phone would be better for you, but as someone who's also sensitive to brightness, I wonder why if you didn't like the Zu because it "was too biased towards the middle-high and high ends" you're focusing in on a phone that is also know for that (likely more so though I don't know from experience)?

This is a good point. I think this is why I have decided to a an altogether different route (albeit perhaps just as tricky). I'm going to plunk down the bills for an RS-1/RA-1 combo from Todd tomorrow. I figured I'd want to try them together to hear the synergy, let each burn in for a while, and if I don't like it, I'll return it or exchange it. Todd seems to be cool like that.

Nov 28, 2005 at 4:43 AM Post #29 of 33
Todd is very good about returns and he understands the need for a trial period for headphones to see whether they work for you personally.

That being said I tried Grados once and they just hurt too much
smily_headphones1.gif
Couldn't take it.

Currently using HD650s with the Silver Dragon Cable and loving it out of a PPX3. The SD cable provides a little more brightness and more detail but still retains the beautiful musicality of the senns. I've been happy with this setup for a while now... but recently I've been eyeing the AKG701s........

m

Nov 28, 2005 at 4:50 AM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphine
but recently I've been eyeing the AKG701s........

Yeah, i've been checking those out also. If I don't love the Grado's, I'll probably get those puppies. A Lot cheaper, too....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back