HD650 user... to recable, or to Sony?
Nov 21, 2005 at 5:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

xaipemw

100+ Head-Fier
Well, it's that time of year again. Time for a case of upgraditis. I recently got a 5G iPod and UE Super.fi 5 Pros, which I'm loving currently. However, my one true love is still my home setup, with my Arcam CD73t, Perreaux SXH1, and Senn HD650's. I truly love my setup. Yet at the same time, now that I have the UE's, I feel that something's somewhat lacking in my home setup. My HD650's currently provide me with wonderful sound, and I really do appreciate the soundstage they provide, especially compared to IEM's.

I guess what I'm looking for is a different tune, so to speak. I was thinking this: either buy an upgrade cable for my 650's, buy a new amp, or purchase an entirely new set of cans. I tried to love Grado's, but comfort is an issue with my big ears. I need circumaural phones. I've tried the Zu Mobius in the past and frankly, at least with my setup, found it not to my tastes. If I remember correctly, it was too biased towards the middle-high and high ends.

As far as an amp is concerned, the reason that I got the SXH1 was at the time it was considered a steal, it is very flat, and works well with the 650's.

And.. then we have the SA5000's. These headphones are intriguing me, and I discovered you can buy them new from Amazon for under $400 (too good to be true??). I tried CD3000's at the Milwaukee meet a few years ago and remember liking them quite a bit, although in the end I went for the Senns.

So.... I guess I'm looking for words of wisdom here.
biggrin.gif

Nov 21, 2005 at 5:45 PM Post #2 of 33
What kind of sound are you striving for? I guess it would be easier if you said what you didn't like about the HD650's. Have you considered trying another amp? This is only my opinion, but when I heard the Perreaux at a meet this summer, I found it to be a bit bloated and more punchier in the low end, when compared to the Home amps from Headroom.

One cable you should check out though is the Moon Audio Silver Dragon, I've heard a lot of good things about that cable. Also, it seems the Cardas cable doesn't have that emphasis on the mids and treble that you didn't like about the Zu.

Nov 21, 2005 at 5:55 PM Post #3 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
What kind of sound are you striving for? I guess it would be easier if you said what you didn't like about the HD650's.

Good point. One thing I've noticed is that in my setup, there are times that the 650's don't sound as "controlled" as I'd like. I've read about this elsewhere on Head-Fi, although I can't remember exactly in which thread. There is this "wash of sound" quality to them that I'd like to get tightened up. I don't want to say that they are veiled, and start that controversy. But frankly, there are times that I'd like a more detailed high end.

Nov 21, 2005 at 6:10 PM Post #4 of 33
I think a new amp is probably in order the Perreaux is a pretty smooth amp, but totally lacks extension and resolution. I think the real question is do you like the Senn sound and just want to improve on that? Or do you want to go for a totally different sound. If the later is the case new headphones might be the answer.

Nov 21, 2005 at 6:36 PM Post #5 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by xaipemw
And.. then we have the SA5000's. These headphones are intriguing me, and I discovered you can buy them new from Amazon for under $400 (too good to be true??). I tried CD3000's at the Milwaukee meet a few years ago and remember liking them quite a bit, although in the end I went for the Senns.

I think that SA5000 will give you plenty of details, but you may find them too bright if you are used to Senn 650 sound.

Nov 21, 2005 at 8:32 PM Post #6 of 33
If I were in your position, I would try a different headphone. I like would like to have more headphones that have a completely different sound (so you can use one for every type of music) and that aren't the perfect headphones('cause they don't excist) then one headphone that has fairly good sound (closer to perfect) but still lacks in some compartments.
Good luck

Nov 21, 2005 at 8:40 PM Post #7 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex M
I think that SA5000 will give you plenty of details, but you may find them too bright is you are used to Senn 650 sound.

Having both headphones, I would have the same concern. SA5000 detail is much more then HD650. But the SA5000 can be too detailed and the bass is alittle lean. I like detail and I don't mind the quickness in the bass. The bass is there and goes lower then HD650 just the decay is quicker.

Using a different amp or a different cord. Having the stock and the Zu cord, I think the Zu to be alittle more lively, but by no means changing the essences of the headphone. Again cab le is the tweak the sound and not change the character of the headphone.

The difference in amps is going to be small as well. Headphones are going to make the biggest difference is the speed and detail of the sound.

Nov 21, 2005 at 10:27 PM Post #8 of 33
I would certainly like to audition the SA5000's, as they seem a compliment in many ways to the HD650's. Problem is that I don't believe anywhere in my area has these cans, at least not to try out. There is a high-end audio store near me that carries Senns and Grados. I was frankly thinking about trying either 325i's or maybe even one of the RS phones. Although, I'm a bit hesitant because of the comfort issue.

I might want to just order the 5000's off of Amazon and try them out. However, I'm not sure of their return policy regarding burned-in phones. Erg.

Nov 23, 2005 at 7:04 PM Post #9 of 33
Today, after reading a lot about the SA5000's, I said f@#k it, and placed an order on Amazon. Then I read some more... and quickly canceled my order. Call me chicken, or call me sane. From what I've been reading, I probably wouldn't like the 5K's as much as I initially thought. I realize that I really do love the 650's presentation of music, its soundstage, and it's warmth. I'm listening to Sigur Ros through my Perreaux right now, and it's emotional, beautiful sounding.

Speaking of euphonic/emotional sounding... I've started my quest again, this time eyeing the RS-1's. Oy... even more expensive....

Nov 23, 2005 at 8:03 PM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

And.. then we have the SA5000's. These headphones are intriguing me, and I discovered you can buy them new from Amazon for under $400 (too good to be true??).
biggrin.gif

Art: If you are young with sensitivity to treble, the Sony SA 5000 may be bright for you. The HD650 dips down at 10K then rises back, while the SA5000 peaks up at 10K then falls back. The SA5000 is brighter and the HD650 is duller.

The SA5000 forms focused images in space better, and has a more natural timbre. The HD650, while more colored in timbre has a very pleasing timbre.

The SA5000 has superior transient response and dynamic impact.

The SA5000 separates instruments better in complex passages (the HD650 gets muddled more, and blends instruments more into a single mass).

The HD650 has a slightly more expanded soundstage and slightly more deep bass.

I prefer the SA5000 - many prefer the HD650.

You can find the SA 5000 for about $370 total. Check buy.com when they have 10 percent off or check etronics.com (I think that's it).

Nov 23, 2005 at 8:08 PM Post #13 of 33
Quote:

Today, after reading a lot about the SA5000's, I said f@#k it, and placed an order on Amazon. Then I read some more... and quickly canceled my order. Call me chicken, or call me sane. From what I've been reading, I probably wouldn't like the 5K's as much as I initially thought.

I suggest you give SA5000 a try by either listening to them at the meet or ordering from a place with a good return policy. It is quite possible that you end up not keeping them, but at least you will be able to form your own opinion.

Quote:

I guess what I'm looking for is a different tune, so to speak.

That is why it is a good idea to try something that is significantly different from what you are used to. In fact I have SA5000 and my next headphones may well be Senn 650 since they seem to complement each other nicely (I had a chance to listen to 600 and 650 at NY meet).

Quote:

However, I'm not sure of their return policy regarding burned-in phones.

I would say that a week of burn-in should be enough to decide if you want to keep them. I know many people consider 200 hours of burn-in to be the minimum for a definite conclusion, but a week of listening will give you a pretty good idea if you like the sound signature IMO.

Nov 23, 2005 at 8:38 PM Post #14 of 33
Well SA5000 is definitely better allarounder than 650s. It's brighter yes and I think that's only a good thing. SA5000 is also faster, better detailed, more forward sounding and it has deep and punchy bass. I'd say 650s are better in bass though. SA5000 has narrower soundstage. SA5000 goes well for rock when 650's don't (very important for me).

Overall I'd say SA5000 is more neutral and definitely funnier to listen to than 650s. They're also more comfortable and the build quality is absolutely best I've ever seen in any headphones.

Nov 23, 2005 at 9:16 PM Post #15 of 33
I asked about getting better cables for the 650s. A lot of great responses --- many seem to think the cable on the 650s are pretty good. I'd say Eqiuinox had the most favorable response for secondary market cables.
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back