HD650 Setup to be!
Jul 23, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #16 of 17
I'm running a Sheer Audio HA-006+ with my HD650 and it feels like a near perfect match. It's SS but slightly warm so it loses the sterile feel that some SS amps can give while retaining the speed and accuracy that SS provides.

Jul 27, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #17 of 17
Quote:
Magic!  They are magic tubes made out of the same thing as the internets.

Umm no, there is a thing called harmonics,  A/B comparison with the Lyr and the O2 shows how much it lacks in warmth and seperation. It is a good amp for the price but to my ears there is no comparison with the HD-650s.
Quote:
IEMCrazy said:

Second order harmonic distortion. However the ear/brain picks it up and understand it, it picks it up as more instrument separation in most cases.   I'm no physicist, audiologist, or neurologist, but it is my understanding that the effect is similar to what happens to sound waves traveling over distance through air of varying densities, and after bouncing, redirecting off objects in their path.  People always associate neutral analytical as "perfect to what's on the recording", but tend to ignore that what's on the recording is unlikely to be what you'd hear at a live performance after the sound waves get done being heavily distorted by air and environment.  So "tube distortion" actually tends to be closer to the real world distortion of sound waves getting to your ears after resonating out of an instrument body or vocal chords. 

Thanks, well said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back