HD650 Setup to be!
Jul 2, 2012 at 1:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Andrew1526

New Head-Fier
So, I am planning on getting HD650's very soon. My current setup is a Maverick Audio Tubemagic D1 DAC with an OPA 627 Opamp and a GE5670 tube. I've read in a lot of places these headphones are hard to drive if you want them to sound right, and I don't want to spend 500 dollars and find out my amp can't drive them. My source is my computers SPDIF output. How many hours of Burn in would you all recommend.

[size=1.2em]  [/size]

Jul 21, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #3 of 17
Try the Matrix M stage, Schiit Asgard or Schiit Valhalla. Bottlehead crack is in your budget too, but it's DIY. I've had the Asgard before and loved it, but it does get hot enough to make smores! LOL JK, it did one burn the fuc* out of my finger though. 

Jul 21, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #4 of 17
I heard my currently for sale HD650 with 5 different amps including TubeMagic D1 at the recent NYC meet and TubeMagic and HD650 are made for each other while with others, some far beyond your budget, they were lacking deep bass classical and jazz demand. Be aware that HD650 are very picky with pairing

Jul 21, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:
I heard my currently for sale HD650 with 5 different amps including TubeMagic D1 at the recent NYC meet and TubeMagic and HD650 are made for each other while with others, some far beyond your budget, they were lacking deep bass classical and jazz demand. Be aware that HD650 are very picky with pairing

Picky as far as getting the maximum out of your HD650 perhaps, but I still liked them with my embarrasingly modest E9.  Although I've just moved into the HE-500, when I get my O2, I'll be interested to try the HD650s with it as well.

Jul 21, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:
Picky as far as getting the maximum out of your HD650 perhaps, but I still liked them with my embarrasingly modest E9.  Although I've just moved into the HE-500, when I get my O2, I'll be interested to try the HD650s with it as well.

I heard both HE-500 and HD650 with O2 at the meet i mentioned before and HD650 were lacking deep bass I was looking for and they have it with TubeMagic D1 and I prefer my D7000 over HE-500 with O2. I also heard HE-500 with EF-6 but they had overpowering bass

Jul 21, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:
I heard both HE-500 and HD650 with O2 at the meet i mentioned before and HD650 were lacking deep bass I was looking for and they have it with TubeMagic D1 and I prefer my D7000 over HE-500 with O2. I also heard HE-500 with EF-6 but they had overpowering bass

I'm sure it's better than my E9.

Jul 22, 2012 at 5:54 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:
But definitely not better or even as good as TubeMagic D1

Maybe?  Do you have the HE-500 and have run them with an O2?  I'm not sure I want tubes with my Orthos.  The HD650 would probably love a hybrid amp, though.

We'll just have to see if I feel the same as you do about the amp, I guess.

Jul 22, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:
Maybe?  Do you have the HE-500 and have run them with an O2?  I'm not sure I want tubes with my Orthos.  The HD650 would probably love a hybrid amp, though.

I DON'T OWN HE-500 but at the recent NYC meet I HEARD THEM with O2 and CTH (Compact Tube Hybrid) with CCA tube ( i like this tube over 2 others i tried) amps and with both of them they didn't have enough sub-bass comparing to my D7000

Jul 22, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

I have the HE-500/400 and the 650. To my ears a tube/hybrid amp is the way to go. All of the mentioned HPs sound magnificent off of the Lyr and EF-5. The O2 sounds dry to my ears and lacks the body, sound stage and instrument separation that the tubes provide.

Jul 22, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:
I have the HE-500/400 and the 650. To my ears a tube/hybrid amp is the way to go. All of the mentioned HPs sound magnificent off of the Lyr and EF-5. The O2 sounds dry to my ears and lacks the body, sound stage and instrument separation that the tubes provide.

Absolutely agree with you about O2 but unfortunately never heard Lyr so can't comment

Jul 23, 2012 at 7:30 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:
How do tubes provide more instrument separation?

Magic!  They are magic tubes made out of the same thing as the internets.

Jul 23, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

I haven't heard the D1, but I have to agree with all this.  Granted some people really do prefer SS with HD650, and I am simply not one of them, though I suspect more "colored" SS amps such as those at the higher end are preferred by those that do.  Personally however, HD650...and all Sennheisers and Beyers, really, shine most on tubes.  Not everyone agrees, but it's a popular way of thinking.

Quote:
Absolutely agree with you about O2 but unfortunately never heard Lyr so can't comment

Agreed.  O2 is an excellent analytical amp.  It's strength is also its failing.  It measures similarly to studio equipment.  Dead flat and neutral.  Which subjectively rarely actually sounds good.  It just makes for a very useful production tool.  However I really like the O2 with my D5ks.  I think they're a great pairing.   HE-400 I prefer, strongly, on my Lyr, however I can also enjoy them on the O2 in a different way.  It brings out the techical performance of the ortho drivers over their organic abilities.   HD650 I simply can not stand on the O2.  Not because it's poor performance, but because it turns HD650 into such an analytical studio monitor I can't stand it.  On a technical level it likely enhances their actual measured performance.  On a listening level it makes me feel like I should be sitting in a dark padded room getting paid to listen to them.  It's a tribute to HD650 that they can become so analytical when amplified analytically, but it's not the way I choose to enjoy them. Tubes, specifically in my case Lyr, can give them all the smooth musicality that HD650 is loved for.  Same goes for HE-400.  The tubes just give them that organic realism that puts them over the edge of just "good headphones" and into "sounds like real music."

Everyone has different preferences.  Folks that prefer K70x, HD800, etc may well prefer HD650 when on SS.  Folks that prefer HD650 on tubes would probably find HD800 and K702 close to intolerable on anything.  I like my K702s a lot...but they also take a back seat to the others.

Quote:
How do tubes provide more instrument separation?

Second order harmonic distortion. However the ear/brain picks it up and understand it, it picks it up as more instrument separation in most cases.   I'm no physicist, audiologist, or neurologist, but it is my understanding that the effect is similar to what happens to sound waves traveling over distance through air of varying densities, and after bouncing, redirecting off objects in their path.  People always associate neutral analytical as "perfect to what's on the recording", but tend to ignore that what's on the recording is unlikely to be what you'd hear at a live performance after the sound waves get done being heavily distorted by air and environment.  So "tube distortion" actually tends to be closer to the real world distortion of sound waves getting to your ears after resonating out of an instrument body or vocal chords. 

Of course it depends on the tubes as to what "distance" the effect places you from the source.

Quote:
Magic!  They are magic tubes made out of the same thing as the internets.

Tubes are made out of Justin Beiber fansites?  I did not know that.  Fascinating!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back