HD650 Questions
Jun 26, 2007 at 8:09 AM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What daverose said

x2, with emphasis on the necessity of amplification. It sound positively anemic ampless.

Climbing the Grado ladder might be the better move, though, since you already like the SR80 sound and don't have an amp. What about an RS-2?

Jun 26, 2007 at 10:16 AM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you know of any portable amps that synergize well with them? I'm thinking of picking up one of the GO Vibe's and maybe upgrading to the Legos (Supermicro IV) in the future.

Would the Go Vibes be sufficient at least?

The thing with the 595s is that they need a good source and a good amp that has good synergy with each other. PM sacdlover about the 595s and amps

Jun 26, 2007 at 11:21 AM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 650's are a huge step up, but are a beast to drive properly, & probably sound muffled, veiled, & muddied bass out of a ipod.. Also, the 650's are the total opposite of the Grado's.. Take that into consideration too.. Laid back, dark, mellow..Not Grado like at all..

sorry but i have to disagree with this. its funny because the first time i plugged the 650 into the ipod i was expecting such an awful experience based on what i had read. not so! i listen to the hd650 out of an xcan v3 (well known synergy), and also out of a new ipod. people will have you believe its a night and day difference, but it just aint so i'm afraid. yes, the xcan is better ultimately, but you get the excellent full character of the 650 through the ipod, and i have had some of my most enjoyable listening sessions this way. ohms schmomes nonsense i have never used full volume on the ipod for the 650s as it would stuff my ears up. so, its apparently difficult to drive, but a crappy teeny weeny ipod amp does a pretty good job driving it with ease imo
eek.gif

imo the 650 is worth getting even if you only drive it with an ipod, and in a year or two you can pick up an amp if you want to take a small but enjoyable step up in performance.

Jun 26, 2007 at 12:17 PM Post #20 of 30
The Senn 650s need good amplification to sound good. Poor amlipfication and they are out performed by cheaper cans, good aplification and they are awsome.

Also, the Senns have a laid back sound compared to the Grados. I've had both and I like the 650s more, going back to the Grados was not enjoyable as they sounded too bright once I was used to the Grados. If you don't intend to spend money on a decent headphone amp, stick with the Grados, otherwise the 650s are the way to do for me. The 650s also offer replacable headphone cables which means its easy to upgrade the sound further.

600smile.gif

Jun 26, 2007 at 8:46 PM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find it incredibly, incredibly hard to find a moderately-priced (less than $200), low imp phones with good soundstage and a presentation that won't bore you to sleep. Not to mention one that'll give you some sultry bass along with NONMETALLIC highs.

Anyone know of one?

DT770 80ohms... but will benefit a good deal from amping.

Jun 26, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Exit Pupil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry but i have to disagree with this. its funny because the first time i plugged the 650 into the ipod i was expecting such an awful experience based on what i had read. not so! i listen to the hd650 out of an xcan v3 (well known synergy), and also out of a new ipod. people will have you believe its a night and day difference, but it just aint so i'm afraid. yes, the xcan is better ultimately, but you get the excellent full character of the 650 through the ipod, and i have had some of my most enjoyable listening sessions this way. ohms schmomes nonsense i have never used full volume on the ipod for the 650s as it would stuff my ears up. so, its apparently difficult to drive, but a crappy teeny weeny ipod amp does a pretty good job driving it with ease imo
eek.gif

imo the 650 is worth getting even if you only drive it with an ipod, and in a year or two you can pick up an amp if you want to take a small but enjoyable step up in performance.

Just because its loud doesn't mean its being driven properly..My reciever can make the 650's very louder, but sounded veiled, grainy, muffled compared to my DAC1 driven them via a balanced configuration..

Jun 26, 2007 at 10:33 PM Post #25 of 30
You can get 650s and get a cMOY amp, they are cheap and do very nicely until you can get something better. My cMOY drives my HD650 beautifully, I have done comparisons with some other nice amps vs cMOY and while there was some difference between the amps, honestly cMOY performed almost same as the other way more expensive counterparts, such as Hornet. In any case, while I wouldn't mind having Hornet when my budget allows, I can perfectly enjoy myself with my 40 dollar cMOY and be perfectly content. Oh Hornet is 340$~ or so.

Jun 27, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #26 of 30
i counsel against the perpetual and infinite incremental upgrade path, unless it brings you great joy. take an ipod to audition the 650 with and compare it against other amps so you can make sense of the real difference so you can finally quantify it. ( i forgot, can you audition?)...
spend as much reasonable money as you can on good cans as you may have them for many many years, and they are the product in any good system which can affects the sound the most. you can always add a great amplifier like the x can v3 or other at a later stage. i have good hearing, have the xcan which is superb, and still enjoy the ipod!
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Jun 27, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #27 of 30
Listen carefully to the above comments... as well as these!

Don't even think about getting the HD650's... unless you're prepared to invest in the right DAC, Amp, cables, and deveil them - in other words... $$$!

Coming from Grado's you're unlikely to be happy, unless you are looking for a much darker, warmer, slower sound - which all goes away with the right DAC, Amp, cables, and deveiled. With those investments - the HD650's excel, and sound very much like Grados.

If you want to try the Senn sound... as suggested above... get the HD595's, or the HD580's / HD600's (HD580's are the same thing as the HD600's if you change the screens to the HD600 screens - and a real value). These have a brighter, faster sound with lesser setups. But... you still need to upgrade the cables for the HD580's / HD600's to sound their best.

Hey... but it's only money - yours!

Jun 27, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i don't see why the hd580 would be any easier to drive than the 600 or 650. i think they all have the same impedance (300 ohms) and sensitivity (97 dB).

I never said anything about them being easier to drive.....I said they might sound better through the OP's system. With a PA2V2, the HD650 might be too warm. The HD580 has less bass.

dissembled, I wouldn't say the HD580 is "better" then the HD595. I remember your previous thread, where you wanted a brighter headphone with soundstage. That's the HD595 for you
biggrin.gif

Jun 27, 2007 at 9:00 AM Post #29 of 30
Originally Posted by vcoheda
i don't see why the hd580 would be any easier to drive than the 600 or 650. i think they all have the same impedance (300 ohms) and sensitivity (97 dB)

NO, Hd 650 are 103 db sensivity. Plus they're 500 mw power handling, against 200mw(580&600).

Jun 27, 2007 at 1:15 PM Post #30 of 30
If you're in Melbourne, you are welcome to come try my 650's. Just send me a PM. If you're not, I'm sure you can find a Head-Fi member in your local area who would be willing to do the same. An audition (especially with music you know) is always a good idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back