HD650 Questions
Jun 25, 2007 at 9:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

mrbrad

100+ Head-Fier
My main headphone is an SR80. I have been happy with them, but I have been thinking of upgrading. If I do, I want to make a significant leap. I have been looking at the HD650s for some time now. However, there is no way to try them out. So, I was hoping for some help.

Is the HD650 a significant step up in sound quality from the SR80? It is certainly MUCH more expensive, but is the sound really that much better?

Can the HD650 be used without an amp? I have seen many posts that say an amp is recommended, but is it really a requirement? Most of my listening will be from an iPod encoded at 192 or above.

I do have a PA2V2. Is it adequate to drive them? I don’t want to spend big bucks on headphones and then turn around and spend big bucks on an amp.

Thanks so much for your help.

Jun 25, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #2 of 30
An amp is a requirement. A PA2v2 isn't good enough.

HD650 is entirely different from the SR80.

If you're spending big bucks on headphones, you have to spend big bucks on an amp (usually).
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 25, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #3 of 30
If you want to try a Sennheiser, I'd say go for a HD580.....they are cheaper, and you may like them better out of an ipod/PA2V2. They are the predessors to the HD600, which are the predesessors to the HD650....so they are a bargain!

There's no way to say if you'll like them better then the SR80...they are different. If you like all sorts of different genres, then you might find Senns a better balance with what you like. The main thing they offer is sound stage that is good for percussions. If you just want a bigger SR80, then go with the SR325i
biggrin.gif

Jun 26, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #5 of 30
What robm321 said

Jun 26, 2007 at 2:56 AM Post #6 of 30
the 650 will probably need an amp to sound the best... you would probably only get around ~50-60% of the hd650's potential with only a pa2v2

Jun 26, 2007 at 3:13 AM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want to try a Sennheiser, I'd say go for a HD580.....they are cheaper, and you may like them better out of an ipod/PA2V2. They are the predessors to the HD600, which are the predesessors to the HD650....so they are a bargain!

Would you people here declare the 580's to be the best Senn's for under $200? One which doesn't suffer from the weaknesses of the Audiophile series of phones? (No bass/Little impact)?

I'm trying to hop onto the Senn bandwagon as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 26, 2007 at 3:23 AM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i don't see why the hd580 would be any easier to drive than the 600 or 650. i think they all have the same impedance (300 ohms) and sensitivity (97 dB).

Jun 26, 2007 at 3:38 AM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you people here declare the 580's to be the best Senn's for under $200? One which doesn't suffer from the weaknesses of the Audiophile series of phones? (No bass/Little impact)?

I'm trying to hop onto the Senn bandwagon as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

You can get new HD 595's for under $200 easily these days. But honestly, if you're using a portable CD player or a digital audio player and you're trying to enter the world of Sennheiser, you might as well use the PX 100's, especially if you want killer bass and a huge impact. I haven't had much luck at all using top-tier headphones like the HD 650s and the AKG K 701's with portable audio players. I don't even recommend using the HD 595's with portable players.

This is my current setup after years of trying all kinds of headphones and amps...

PORTABLE: SanDisk Sansa e200 + Sennheiser PX 100
HOME: Sony STR-DG500 + Sennheiser HD 650 w/ Cardas Cable

Jun 26, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borg166 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can get new HD 595's for under $200 easily these days. But honestly, if you're using a portable CD player or a digital audio player and you're trying to enter the world of Sennheiser, you might as well use the PX 100's, especially if you want killer bass and a huge impact. I haven't had much luck at all using top-tier headphones like the HD 650s and the AKG K 701's with portable audio players. I don't even recommend using the HD 595's with portable players.

This is my current setup after years of trying all kinds of headphones and amps...

I find it incredibly, incredibly hard to find a moderately-priced (less than $200), low imp phones with good soundstage and a presentation that won't bore you to sleep. Not to mention one that'll give you some sultry bass along with NONMETALLIC highs.

Anyone know of one?

Maybe I should build headphones.
3000smile.gif

Jun 26, 2007 at 3:51 AM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

I find it incredibly, incredibly hard to find a moderately-priced (less than $200), low imp phones with good soundstage and a presentation that won't bore you to sleep. Not to mention one that'll give you some sultry bass along with NONMETALLIC highs.

Anyone know of one?

Maybe I should build headphones.
3000smile.gif

The HD 595's definitely won't bore you. Most Sennheiser users would probably consider them the most "exciting" of their audiophile-level headphones. But again, if you're thinking about using Sennheiser models at that level with portable audio players, you'll only get a fraction of their potential.

Jun 26, 2007 at 4:11 AM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borg166 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD 595's definitely won't bore you. Most Sennheiser users would probably consider them the most "exciting" of their audiophile-level headphones. But again, if you're thinking about using Sennheiser models at that level with portable audio players, you'll only get a fraction of their potential.

Do you know of any portable amps that synergize well with them? I'm thinking of picking up one of the GO Vibe's and maybe upgrading to the Legos (Supermicro IV) in the future.

Would the Go Vibes be sufficient at least?

Jun 26, 2007 at 4:24 AM Post #13 of 30
I find a pair of HD 600's and SR325i's to be a pair capable of tackling any music genre. They are such a wonderful compliment. If you want to expand your horizons, I thinks its a wonderful choice.

Jun 26, 2007 at 6:49 AM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrbrad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My main headphone is an SR80. I have been happy with them, but I have been thinking of upgrading. If I do, I want to make a significant leap. I have been looking at the HD650s for some time now. However, there is no way to try them out. So, I was hoping for some help.

Is the HD650 a significant step up in sound quality from the SR80? It is certainly MUCH more expensive, but is the sound really that much better?

Can the HD650 be used without an amp? I have seen many posts that say an amp is recommended, but is it really a requirement? Most of my listening will be from an iPod encoded at 192 or above.

I do have a PA2V2. Is it adequate to drive them? I don’t want to spend big bucks on headphones and then turn around and spend big bucks on an amp.

Thanks so much for your help.

The 650's are a huge step up, but are a beast to drive properly, & probably sound muffled, veiled, & muddied bass out of a ipod.. Also, the 650's are the total opposite of the Grado's.. Take that into consideration too.. Laid back, dark, mellow..Not Grado like at all..

Jun 26, 2007 at 6:51 AM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Do you know of any portable amps that synergize well with them? I'm thinking of picking up one of the GO Vibe's and maybe upgrading to the Legos (Supermicro IV) in the future.

Would the Go Vibes be sufficient at least?

The Portaphile Maxxed went great with the 595's..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back