HD650 or Ultrasone HFI-2200 ULE
Jan 1, 2007 at 10:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

dbfx

New Head-Fier
Alright, im in the market for some top notch headphones and these are the two ive narrowed it down to.

Ive demod the 2200s and I loved the sound, specifically the bass. I listen to really bass heavy music; rap and electronic but not trance type crap, hardstyle stuff so the bass needs to be big.

What i guess im really trying to figure out is do you guys think that the bass of the HD650s will match that of the 2200s?

Unfortunately.. they would be run out of my piece of crap audigy 2 but that will change shortly and then the amp and dac will come but for the mean time alllll i have the money for is a pair of headphones.

Thanks for all the help in advance.

Jan 1, 2007 at 11:19 AM Post #4 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by dbfx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ill definately be getting an amp probably within a couple days after I would buy them, although, it wouldnt be a great amp probably like a pa2v2

For an HD650 you need a lot more amp than a PA2V2.
If you don't plan to upgrade to a (much) more powerfull amp it is (IMO) no use to buy the HD650.

Jan 1, 2007 at 12:15 PM Post #6 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by dbfx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm.. well what is the cheapest amp you would say that would be able to drive the HD650s

I admit I'm biased, but the Gilmore Lite does an excellent job of driving them.
600smile.gif
The HD-650s scale very well with whatever is upstream, from a humble GLite to a monstrous balanced Singlepower rig.

Jan 1, 2007 at 12:55 PM Post #10 of 49
Well I would rather hear the HD650s before I commit seeing as they are the same price as the 2200s and are supposed to be great phones. So I figure if they are the same price, why not hear them before I buy the 2200s, I may like the senns better

Jan 1, 2007 at 1:09 PM Post #11 of 49
There is a pair of 2200s available HERE in the classifieds.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spaceage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These are about three months old and in excellent condition. I am the original owner. Included will be the original box, the included demo CD, and you will also get a short cable in addition to the stock long cable (I ordered the short cable separate from Ultrasone.) $206 shipped CONUS, PayPal fees included. Feedback link is in my sig.

ultrasone1pf8.jpg

You could use the money saved to get a lovely Go-Vibe V5 amplifier and you'd be on your way!
280smile.gif

Jan 1, 2007 at 1:17 PM Post #12 of 49
ALSJDHFLKAJSDHF Thats a super deal. I would absolutely do it buuut I dont want to buy them then find out I like the HD650s more :O. Soooo back to the original post.. anyone know how the bass compares between these two phones?

Jan 1, 2007 at 3:49 PM Post #13 of 49
In answer to your question regarding the bass of the Sennheiser headphones versus the bass of the Ultrasone headphones - short answer: NO COMPARISON.

The Sennheiser HD650s have a very nice refined and pleasant bass which would never offend anyone while the Ultrasones have what they should market as something catchy like "BwB", short for "Bass with Balls", which is bass the way it should be slightly unrefined and often times just a bit offensive. If you're easily overwhelmed by bass while listening to headphones think twice before getting the Ultrasones otherwise go for it.

In any event you really can't go wrong with either pair of headphones since they are both top flight cans and the difference between them come down more to a matter of personal preference than anything else. Also the longer you remain undecided the longer you're not listening to either of these great headphones
cool.gif

Jan 1, 2007 at 6:14 PM Post #14 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by ralphp@optonline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[/B]The Sennheiser HD650s have a very nice refined and pleasant bass which would never offend anyone while the Ultrasones have what they should market as something catchy like "BwB", short for "Bass with Balls", which is bass the way it should be slightly unrefined and often times just a bit offensive. If you're easily overwhelmed by bass while listening to headphones think twice before getting the Ultrasones otherwise go for it.

[/COLOR]

hi, which would you describe as more appropriate for listening to double bass jazz tunes? i'm into the virtuoso plucking styles of scott lafaro, eddie gomez, gary peac*ck and some mingus...i have the hd 580 and 600 and although they are nice i'm intrigued to know if there are better alternatives to this type of listening...thanks in advance

Jan 1, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #15 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by takezo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi, which would you describe as more appropriate for listening to double bass jazz tunes? i'm into the virtuoso plucking styles of scott lafaro, eddie gomez, gary peac*ck and some mingus...i have the hd 580 and 600 and although they are nice i'm intrigued to know if there are better alternatives to this type of listening...thanks in advance

To be quite truthful my experience is limited to the Ultrasone Proline 750 model which are closed headphones and a slightly more costly model. In addition I recently had my headphones recabled and you can read all about my impressions of the results in this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=216399

You might also want to check out this thread for other impressions, including some of mine, on various stock Ultrasone headphones:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=207164

But back to the question at hand, I'm doing an ad hoc listening comparison between my recabled 750s and my HD650 (which have a Cardas cable) as I write this using music featuring several of the bass players you mentioned in your post. Lucky for you that I'm a big jazz fan and have lots of music to chose from.

The equipment I'm using is a Sony SCD-CE775 CDP and a Headroom Desktop amp with the older Desktop module and the basic power supply.

Example #1:

Dave Holland Quintet - Critical Mass, first track "The Eyes Have It" about 2-1/2 minutes in Holland takes a bass solo and this being a 2006 release it very well recorded. On the HD650 the solo comes through very clearly with the notes sounding clean and distinct. The bass has a nice warm sound to it but there is very little reverb. On the 750s the bass is also very clean but there is much depth and greater sense of reverb. Basically it's like with the HD650s you're listening to something recorded in a sterile environment while with the 750s you're listening to something recorded in a real acoustic space.

Example #2:

Keith Jarrett Trio (with Gary Peac*ck) - Inside Out, track four "Riot". This track differs from the one above in that in addition to Peac*ck's bass, Jarrett is laying down some heavy bass lines on the piano with his left hand plus it's a live recording. Many people feel that the sound of the Ultrasones is somewhat "muddy" but I just think that they're just not quite used to the degree of reverb that's present in the bass and it tends to confuse them. All the information is there it's just presented in a different way. Going back and forth on this track the main difference was that the HD650s spotlighted the drums and cymbals while the 750s presented darker image with more emphasis on the bass.

Note to moderator: You guys need to lighten up on the naughty word filter Peac*ck is the man's name, for crying out loud!!

Example #3:

Kidd Jordan with William Parker and Hamid Drake - Palm Of Soul, track three "Living Peace". William Parker has this really great tone and it's captured quite well on this recording. The track starts with a slow bowed bass intro and through the 750s Parker's bass has real weight and body. About five minutes in Parker switches from bowed to plucked bass and the recording and the 750s really do a great job of getting that feeling of the body of the bass right inside your head. Again when I switched to the HD650s it was similar to the experience in example #1 - all the bass was there but it lacked that real depth and weight that had been there with the 750s, mid you it still sounded incredible and was a sound I would have no problem living with for a very long time but the 750s are just something else when ti comes to the bass.

Example #4:

Ornette Coleman - Sound Grammar, track five "Matador". This live recording features two bassists, the great Greg Cohen on plucked double bass and Tony Falanga on bowed double bass. A real torture test for the HD650s but a breeze for the 750s. At the four minute mark the bass players cut loose with a double barreled solo and with the 750s you hear every note, every string being plucked and most importantly you get the feeling of the space filling up with the sound of the bass. On the other hand with the HD65s hear every note, every string being plucked but there is no real depth to the sound.

And finally example #5 (luckily it's only a 5 CD changer
lambda.gif
):

Ornette Coleman - Beauty Is A Rare Thing, disc 5, track 7 "The Alchemy of Scott LaFaro". Featuring the wonderful and mind blowing LaFaro on bass this track was unlistenable on the HD650s - LaFaro just about disappeared!!! He came through loud and clear on the 750s though. For that the Ultrasones win this shoot up hands down.

Well I hope I answered your question
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back