HD650 or K7xx
Dec 7, 2014 at 1:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ilreceiver

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm fortunately enough to participate in both mass drop k7xx as well as the adorama HD650 for 315. I think I'll only keep one headphone though...

This will be my first foray into high-end open headphones, coming from se535 and ah-M50.

What do you guys think?

I bet both would blow me away with their sounds... I value more about comfort I guess.

Paid 200+tax for K700 and 315 for HD650.

Thanks!

Dec 7, 2014 at 4:20 AM Post #3 of 14
They're quite different

650 has a mellower high end
650 has more bass
7xx is more 'open' sounding
7xx has less clamping force

some other aspects too

what kind of music do you enjoy most, do you 
generally listen to?  It will help you choose between
these two headphones.

Dec 7, 2014 at 4:28 AM Post #4 of 14
HD650 has more detail
HD650 has a more cohesive sound stage
K7xx is less source-dependent
K7xx has somewhat harsh treble

Dec 7, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #6 of 14
Why don't you just try them both once they are delivered and then pick which one you like more instead of asking random people on the Internet? You've already bought both and this thread is pointless.

Dec 7, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #7 of 14
They are entirely different sets of headphones, this thread has been posted countless times with the same general consensus that they both are theoretically on the same level albeit unique characteristics which cater to different audiences.

Dec 13, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #8 of 14
k7xx for classical and Jazz 
k701smile.gif

Dec 20, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #11 of 14
  HD650 has more detail
HD650 has a more cohesive sound stage
K7xx is less source-dependent
K7xx has somewhat harsh treble

I dunno but I believe my K701 to have more detail than my HD650. Just lacking in Bass Body. I used to have harsh Highs. Heres my Fix for it. Burn it in with Pink Noise and the highs settle down. Did roughly about 2 days worth of Pink Noise burn in with 1 min of silence in every 14 mins. Hence 4 mins of silence in an hour.
  Did you listen to the K7xx?

Guess some people are very sensitive with the highs. I sometimes find my HD650's high to be more harsh than my K701, but nothing like the harshness of the DT990, lol
  I would prefer k7xx. HD650 sounds way too bassy for me.

Depends on the amp/dac pairing I guess. Despite having other headphones, I still love the K7xx series, as their mids are superb. Recently, I've been playing around with the Matrix Mstage, Schiit Asgard 2 and Modi, HRT MSii and the Burson Conductor SL (PCM1793 chip). I personally find the H650 to shine at it's best with the likes of the Burson and for some reason, the Modi Asgard2 combo gives the Senn a lot of air to breathe with plenty of detail.

The K7xxs I have however, depending on what i'd want from it. You'd be surprised at how musical the MSii and M-Stage pairing is in comparison to the Burson. I find the Burson to be a 50-50 match with both the Senn and AKGs. Senns are great with 5/10 musics while the AKGs are Great with the other 5. Though, The AKGs shine the most with my Modi and Asgard2 combo. Ofcourse, bass wasn't heavy but they're really controlled and extends deep with beautiful mids. The Violins, Flutes, Vocals are splendid. And mind you, I listen to Heavy Metal and Rock with these cans and I find them enjoyable

Eitherway, give both of them a listen. At first I fell in love with the Senn sound signature, it's really hard to not love the Dark King. While AKG being Clear and detailed, it kinda lacked energy and musicality at first, but after about 1-2 weeks, I ended up listening to my AKGs more as it settles down (Burning both of em in with Pink Noise)

Dec 27, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #12 of 14
Hi all,

I'm fortunately enough to participate in both mass drop k7xx as well as the adorama HD650 for 315. I think I'll only keep one headphone though...

This will be my first foray into high-end open headphones, coming from se535 and ah-M50.

What do you guys think?

I bet both would blow me away with their sounds... I value more about comfort I guess.

Paid 200+tax for K700 and 315 for HD650.

Thanks!

Dec 27, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #13 of 14

I own both the HD650 and K7xx, and at least on my amp (Schiit Lyr 2 and stock Canadian 6BZ7 tubes), the HD650 has a forward midrange and rolled off sub bass, whereas the K7xx midrange to me is a little more relaxed (takes a half step back in the mix) and never gets harsh. Its treble can be a bit raw with poorly mastered music, but it doesn't happen often. The K7xx also has better sub bass, but lacks that mid bass bloom the HD650 has. The HD650 bass tends to be mid bass-oriented, whereas the K7xx bass tends to be lean in the punchiness area, but has more rumble down low. The K7xx is slightly less forward with a slight u-shape in the mid-mids, whereas the HD650 is more n-shaped...at least that when I tested them on the same system. But the HD650 has a forward midrange regardless, so make sure the amp you get for it isn't very forward sounding, otherwise the HD650 will be harsh at higher gain. Because the HD650 naturally doesn't like forward sounding amps, and the K7-series does, finding an amp or tubes that both of them like can be a little tricky

Jul 8, 2015 at 2:18 AM Post #14 of 14

I own both the HD650 and K7xx, and at least on my amp (Schiit Lyr 2 and stock Canadian 6BZ7 tubes), the HD650 has a forward midrange and rolled off sub bass, whereas the K7xx midrange to me is a little more relaxed (takes a half step back in the mix) and never gets harsh. Its treble can be a bit raw with poorly mastered music, but it doesn't happen often. The K7xx also has better sub bass, but lacks that mid bass bloom the HD650 has. The HD650 bass tends to be mid bass-oriented, whereas the K7xx bass tends to be lean in the punchiness area, but has more rumble down low. The K7xx is slightly less forward with a slight u-shape in the mid-mids, whereas the HD650 is more n-shaped...at least that when I tested them on the same system. But the HD650 has a forward midrange regardless, so make sure the amp you get for it isn't very forward sounding, otherwise the HD650 will be harsh at higher gain. Because the HD650 naturally doesn't like forward sounding amps, and the K7-series does, finding an amp or tubes that both of them like can be a little tricky

What are your thoughts about getting a neutral SS amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back