HD650 or HD600?
Aug 13, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #31 of 45
Quote:
Another strange comment about the 600. The mids/vocals are more up front than any other mid-fi phone I have tried. Actually none of the other phones I have owned besides the Grados have even been close to the vocal presence of the Sennheiser and why I have never found a replacement for them. You are spot on regarding imaging and soundstage though. The treble is rolled off a tad soon for me too, but the way they did it gives excellent timbre up high and this is where most phones fail. I understand sound preference is subjective, but I can't own phones that don't sound like live instruments and Senheiser is the only one I have found that has accomplished that.

I was referring more to the 650 than the 600 about vocals sounding distant. It's not rather that the vocals are distant, but rather the bass of that headphone overshadows the midrange. I also wish the 600 had more upfront vocals but it has a more balanced frequency than the 650 from what I've heard. Timbre on both headphones are great. 

Aug 13, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #32 of 45
I've found the HD-650 to be quite good for vocals. They never sound too distant at all  IMO. I also have found the soundstage of the HD-650 to be a little more closed in and this may help in some areas.

For vocals I myself prefer the HD-650 to the HD-600, but the HD-600 is closer to what I prefer when it comes to signature. I hate the mid-bass of the HD-650 and even the HD-600(!).

BTW i've found the HD-580 to have more forward sounding vocals compared to the HD-600. My HD-580 has slightly more forward upper mids than the HD-600 and less mid-bass. HD-580 might have a tad more treble, but I don't think it's an exact clone of the HD-600 sound signature at all. I prefer it by far to the HD-600 by far. The grill is the reason for the slight sound signature change. I bet people who love the 598 will like the HD-580. The HD-580 with HD-600 grills sounds exactly like the HD-600 obviously.

Of course the HD-598 IMO has the most forward sounding vocals. I love the 598 and HD-580. HD-580 does have the edge in some areas. It's soundstage is definitely smaller though.

The HD-600 never felt like it had forward sounding female vocals at all, but we all hear differently. Then it doesn't help that we all have different amp/dac setups which could change impressions slightly.

Aug 13, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #34 of 45
I have the HD600, with a Marantz 2245 and a profire 2626/digi 002/digi 192.

I absolutely love it for music listening, but it needs/wants some power and varies drastically with different sources. I like to bring up the bass one notch with the EQ on the marantz sometimes but thats about it. I also recommend the HD650 cable, its a little more robust in both construction and sound.

And they certainly aren't analytical. They may be flatter than 650's and are wonderfully detailed, but they aren't analytical. I'm a sound designer, and every time I've attempted a mix on them it never translates. It doesn't mean they aren't good or I don't like them - it means they are an awesome toy more then an effective tool.

I listen to acoustic, bluegrass, electronic dance stuff, classical, rock. It all sounds good. And they are super comfortable. I particularly like them for acoustic stuff and intricate/subtle electronic stuff

Aug 14, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #35 of 45
For me it's the HD600 no contest but then I'm a guy who likes a well balanced sound. I think the HD600 are also more exciting sounding with that extra treble and sparkle and not so prominent bass, which is too present in the HD650s and can muddle the rest of sound up. The HD650s are good for low volume listening at night with jazz and music where there aren't too many instruments at the same time because otherwise they can sound bit congested. 

Aug 16, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #38 of 45
I have always read the Asgard has rolled off treble which I think would be a terrible choice for the 600. I had an NFB12 and it was unlistenable for me with my 580 for the same reason. The rolled off treble made it boring. Senns love tubes, plain and simple. Whether its a tube hybrid or a something like a Crack, the Senns will sing!

Aug 16, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #39 of 45
Quote:
I have always read the Asgard has rolled off treble which I think would be a terrible choice for the 600. I had an NFB12 and it was unlistenable for me with my 580 for the same reason. The rolled off treble made it boring. Senns love tubes, plain and simple. Whether its a tube hybrid or a something like a Crack, the Senns will sing!

Agreed... the 600 does not need any more rolled off treble. This is partly the reason why I prefer the 598s over the 600s. It's more engaging to listen to because the treble retains most of its energy - though still retaining a very non-fatiguing presentation. 

Aug 16, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #40 of 45
Quote:

I have no idea what tubes are....is it a type of amp? If so, which one do you use with your hd600?

Aug 16, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #41 of 45
Based on music preference, I'd go with the HD600.

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
Aug 16, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #42 of 45
Quote:

From memory (Audio-gd NFB-12 thread) the rolled off highs were only ever mentioned using USB.  I think a lot also depends on the filter you use too.  Even more comes down to personal preference.

IMO the NFB-12 actually pairs quite nicely with the HD600 (YMMV) - via spdif (optical) from an X-Fi Titanium.  I also use them with the NFB-12 as dac only to a LD MKIV.  Both (SS and tube) sound pretty good. 

Aug 16, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #43 of 45
Quote:

From memory (Audio-gd NFB-12 thread) the rolled off highs were only ever mentioned using USB.  I think a lot also depends on the filter you use too.  Even more comes down to personal preference.

IMO the NFB-12 actually pairs quite nicely with the HD600 (YMMV) - via spdif (optical) from an X-Fi Titanium.  I also use them with the NFB-12 as dac only to a LD MKIV.  Both (SS and tube) sound pretty good. 

This question may be stupid but I don't understand about DACs and amps; they are all used with a laptop or desktop right?

Aug 16, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #44 of 45
If you use your computer to listen to music, then yes. These can be used with stand alone CD players as well.

Quote:
This question may be stupid but I don't understand about DACs and amps; they are all used with a laptop or desktop right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back