HD650, MisterX pimeta, Entech Number cruncher 203: What now?
Jan 14, 2007 at 4:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Kaluminati

Head-Fier
What would you all suggest be my next upgrade? Not anything crazy expensive. I was thinking a cable upgrade for the 650s? Or maybe a better DAC, although this one is very nice for having got it at $50 =D. Any suggestions welcome!

ps. my soundcard is an x-fi.

Jan 14, 2007 at 4:54 AM Post #2 of 11
why not try a headphone with a different sound signature? Otherwise, I guess it ought to be the DAC next, as you say. Does the number cruncher really sound better than the X-fi analog outs?

Jan 14, 2007 at 5:17 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why not try a headphone with a different sound signature? Otherwise, I guess it ought to be the DAC next, as you say. Does the number cruncher really sound better than the X-fi analog outs?

I just got these cans, and I'm stickin with them; I love them
smily_headphones1.gif
. I'd say it does sound slightly better than the analog outs yes.

Jan 14, 2007 at 3:13 PM Post #4 of 11
Listen to your wise forum elders (although not every single one is wise!).
Your headphone is nice, yes. But others are nicer in other ways... it's not about better but about different. You'll never know what you're missing until you've tried. :wink:

But my advice isn't to sink more money into gear really... better use another precious commodity - your time - to broaden your musical horizons.

Jan 14, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by HFat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Listen to your wise forum elders (although not every single one is wise!).
Your headphone is nice, yes. But others are nicer in other ways... it's not about better but about different. You'll never know what you're missing until you've tried. :wink:

But my advice isn't to sink more money into gear really... better use another precious commodity - your time - to broaden your musical horizons.

agreed

listen to all your music, and buy a bunch of new cds

Jan 14, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #7 of 11
I'll buck the trend here, I guess: the PIMETA is not up to the capability of the Senn's. The Senn's take a prodigious amount of power production to really shine. They are best served by something with a powerful discrete output stage that slews lots of volts and is back by a powerful power supply. Something like the M3 or a DB-equipped Millett on a TREAD or STEPS is probably minimum. A Dyna-series or Amb's B22 would be even better.

I have the Millett's, an M3, and the PIMETA's. Grado's sound glorious with the PIMETA's, but there's no point in even connecting the Senn's after you've heard them through a powerful Millett/DB or better. The PIMETA will blow any CMoy away and run rings around even a PINT, but there's a power supply ceiling and output stage bias limit that it just can't overcome.

You've got a set of $300-$500 headphones, there. They will soak up that much amplifier investment and more and still come back saying, "Feed Me!" The nice thing is that you are rewarded more for it.

Jan 15, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by HFat /img/forum/go_quote.gif

hear, hear. Like HFat, I'm not saying get rid of your Senns, I'm saying add another pair that can cover other ground. But there's no rush, you can get a lot of good listening out of this rig as it is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll buck the trend here, I guess: the PIMETA is not up to the capability of the Senn's.

This is interesting. I haven't tried a PIMETA, so I can't say.

Jan 15, 2007 at 5:17 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hear, hear. Like HFat, I'm not saying get rid of your Senns, I'm saying add another pair that can cover other ground. But there's no rush, you can get a lot of good listening out of this rig as it is.

This is interesting. I haven't tried a PIMETA, so I can't say.

Honestly I'm not the type who would like to have multiple cans. One is good enough for me, as I really only listen to a certain type of music. If I had 2, I'd most likely never listen to the other pair (which is happening right now) because I like one more than the other. I'm not a collector.

All in all, thanks for the suggestions!

Jan 15, 2007 at 7:13 AM Post #10 of 11
IMHO you've hit the first point of diminishing returns. Sure theres room for improvement, but how much $$$ are you willing to sacrifice? Skip Senn cable upgrades, not worth the $$$ investment.

Just enjoy the tunes. Save your $$$.

$50 won't buy you much. Maybe some OP amps? But if youre already happy with the sound of your rig, even that could be a waste of $$$.

For $50... Diana Krall - Live in Paris, Dire straits - Brothers in Arms, Clapton unplugged. All are stellar recordings that sound huge on Senns.

Jan 15, 2007 at 7:21 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaluminati /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly I'm not the type who would like to have multiple cans. One is good enough for me, as I really only listen to a certain type of music. If I had 2, I'd most likely never listen to the other pair (which is happening right now) because I like one more than the other. I'm not a collector.

All in all, thanks for the suggestions!

I don't like the idea of multiple headphones either, but the point is to help you find the sound that is just right for you. What you're hearing right now may sound perfect, but that may just be because you haven't heard anything else (Why do you think all those iPod users don't complain about their iPod earbuds?).

Everyone's tastes differ, that's why it's important to listen to as many headphones as possible before just settling down on the first one you hear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back