HD650 - harsh treble?
May 3, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #31 of 37
One more vote for source issues. I've been transferring some DATs to my computer, and, lacking an extra digital cable for the moment, I've been monitoring the recording process with:

Sony DAT Line Out > HeadRoom Micro Amp > HD650

There's something really irritating about the upper midrange, a tinny quality that I can only endure for short periods, with no enjoyment. So then I take the same bits I just read from the DAT, and play them back with:

Computer USB > HeadRoom Micro DAC > HeadRoom Micro Amp > HD650

and all is lovely.

May 4, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #32 of 37
I had HD650, sold them, missed them, got some more. The second set has a very different sound than the first. The first were nicely bassy, smooth, and a tad veiled...basically what we are all used to hearing about. The new pair are bass light and not veiled at all and I wouldn't really call them laid back either. Less bass than my sr225 and not laid back even relative to those. They are second hand and I don't know how much burn-in they have but I'm working on that. I know that I can't A/B the two sets but the differences are just too big for me to be completely off base here. I am using the same rig with this set as I was with the last.

FWIW, I tried them also with an old HD414 cable. It is actually worse than the stock HD650 cable -- less bass. I'm going to be trying a better cable.

May 4, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #33 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The X-can V3 is a hybrid amp. And it's bright/ harsh sounding too.
It doens't has a "tube" sound.
Maybe a real tube amp will solve the problem

I had the same problem at first with my hybrid g&wt2.6f...it was very dry and sterile sounding (almost ss-like) with the stock tubes...you have to be careful when matching tubes with hybrid amps---the germans in particular are a no-no...i achieved the best results with the syrupy sound of a pair of mullards...perhaps a similar combo will work for you

May 6, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #34 of 37
Mine sound a tad bit brighter when I made a new cable for them. The cable was silver, which is known to make the HD600/HD650 a little bit brighter.

Mine didn't sound bright out of the box either, most likely it's the amp.

May 6, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #35 of 37
confused_face(1).gif
confused_face(1).gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by mfaughn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had HD650, sold them, missed them, got some more. The second set has a very different sound than the first. The first were nicely bassy, smooth, and a tad veiled...basically what we are all used to hearing about. The new pair are bass light and not veiled at all and I wouldn't really call them laid back either. Less bass than my sr225 and not laid back even relative to those. They are second hand and I don't know how much burn-in they have but I'm working on that. I know that I can't A/B the two sets but the differences are just too big for me to be completely off base here. I am using the same rig with this set as I was with the last.

FWIW, I tried them also with an old HD414 cable. It is actually worse than the stock HD650 cable -- less bass. I'm going to be trying a better cable.

From your description, my guess is that you have FrankenPhones ..... Maybe return them if you can.
confused_face(1).gif

USG

May 6, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #36 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine sound a tad bit brighter when I made a new cable for them. The cable was silver, which is known to make the HD600/HD650 a little bit brighter.

Mine didn't sound bright out of the box either, most likely it's the amp.

Me too, the cable I made was from teflon-coated SPC and I'm hearing details in the mids as well as highs that were a bit buried with the stock cable.

Prior to my cable build, I'd had mine for about 2 years and a few months ago, just to make sure they were properly burned-in, I ran pink noise through them for a whole day.

My source is a Cranesong Avocet DAC.

May 6, 2009 at 10:47 AM Post #37 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
confused_face(1).gif
confused_face(1).gif

From your description, my guess is that you have FrankenPhones ..... Maybe return them if you can.
confused_face(1).gif

USG

I've looked at the drivers from both sides and they look like my previous HD650. One dust cap does have a dent in it though and I'm not sure how that would happen. Is there anything else that looks like these (I mean the drivers)? It isn't obvious how you would even get into these things. This pair is very clean looking, FWIW.

I'm wondering about what would happen if they had been in a hot car or something? Either that or had never been used and aren't burnt in at all? Hard to know.

They don't sound 'bad' at all. They are fast and detailed. In fact, they are remarkably engaging to listen to. They just lack low end weight (bad) and are not even the slightest bet veiled (a good thing). And that is not what I was expecting from HD650.

I'm going to try them with some other amps and see if that makes a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back