HD650 - harsh treble?
Apr 15, 2009 at 3:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Good Times

Member of the Trade: Krispy Kables
Does anyone find the upper mids/low highs to be a bit too shrill?

I've had mine (used and well burnt in, ie over 200hrs) for 2 weeks. I'm coming from some HD540s.

From the changeover I found the soundstage a lot more open, the general performance and sound almost identical (which surprised me!), but this upper frequency range a tad harsh. For the same femal vocal track for example, the HD540s I could keep at a certain volume. The HD650s would be fine until the vocals hit a certain upper range, then it would be a tad harsh and I'd have to turn down the volume.

Setup is iPod - LOD - XcanV3 - HD650 (standard cable).

Any advice, or is this normal? I haven't heard anyone mention it before.

Apr 15, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #3 of 37
I'm using LOD (so no volume control), with no EQ, and ordinarily I'd look to the iPod immediately. I hesitate because this frequency range sounds buttery smooth on the 540s (with the iPod).

Unfortunately I'm "between CD players", so can't test that as a source.

Feel free to pop in though!

Apr 15, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #6 of 37
Sounds pretty strange and quite ironic, considering the rather tamed and rolled-off highs are what attracts people to buy these cans.... My pair have never had this problem, but then again I've never tried mine out of an ipod.

Apr 15, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #7 of 37
I tried these today with the following setup:-

Cambridge Audio 840C -> Corda Symphony -> HD650s

Admittedly they aren't the best headphone Ive tried, but I really enjoyed this setup up, and chilled to the music, I was actually doing what most people do with there music. Listen to it, and Not the headphones. Nothing wrong with the treble, bvery nice and full.

Apr 15, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #8 of 37
I love the sq out of my hd650s, possibly because I’m driving them with a Woo Audio 6 ftw
atsmile.gif

Apr 15, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #9 of 37
Not drived well always bring harsh treble....

Apr 15, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #10 of 37
If the HD540 has severely rolled-off treble, this makes sense (anyone who has heard the HD540, care to comment on this?). Besides the HD540 and the HD650, what other decent-quality headphones have you heard (I'm wondering about your frame of reference)? If the harshness isn't due to your setup nor is your HD650 faulty, then you'll likely find that most other headphones out there also have harsh treble. The HD650 has a slightly softer treble response than most (the older version of the HD650 was even softer).

I guess it might not be due to the HD540, since you've been using the HD650 for two weeks and should be used to the sound by now. However, if you have been going back and forth between them since you've had the HD650, then I suggest sticking with the HD650 (don't listen to the HD540 at all) for two weeks and seeing if you get used to the stronger treble response (unless you find it physically painful or something like that, of course).

You could eventually try a tube amp - they are generally not as harsh as solid state amps.

Apr 15, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #11 of 37
isn't the XCAN a tube amp already?

I don't think it's the ipod. Ipod's don't sound harsh. I would guess you either have a weird pair of HD650's or it's your amp, maybe try some different tubes. I have never heard this headphone sound harsh, even on the most analyitical of amps

Apr 15, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #12 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
isn't the XCAN a tube amp already?

I don't think it's the ipod. Ipod's don't sound harsh. I would guess you either have a weird pair of HD650's or it's your amp, maybe try some different tubes. I have never heard this headphone sound harsh, even on the most analyitical of amps

The X-can V3 is a hybrid amp. And it's bright/ harsh sounding too.
It doens't has a "tube" sound.
Maybe a real tube amp will solve the problem

Apr 15, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #13 of 37
It's weird but I noticed my roommate's new 650s are a lot brighter than mine. Both are the new (silver mesh) version. But mine are well worn in and the pads are soft and don't stick up a lot from the headphone.
Weirdly his pads are quiet stiff and have a lot of vertical height. We compared them side by side and found it hard to believe that my pads had once been like his.
So I'm wondering did sennheiser change the pads? They look the same but with a lot more stuffing... close the k701 style actually.

Apr 15, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #14 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The X-can V3 is a hybrid amp. And it's bright/ harsh sounding too.
It doens't has a "tube" sound.
Maybe a real tube amp will solve the problem

bingo. it's most likely the amp then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back