HD650 drivers dropped into tatty old HD565 chassis... a pseudo-but-cheap 650 experience?
Jan 16, 2014 at 1:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Chuck Dee

Member of the Trade: Chris Cables
So i dropped in some replacement HD650 drivers into my knackered old HD565's, replacing all the cushions and a new cable to boot.

Sounding absolutely wonderful but am I getting the 'true' HD650 experience here?  Could the chassis designs of these 2 types of headphone really make such a difference to the audio representation?

The 650 drivers dropped straight in without a hitch as the chassis receptors are exactly the same size for either driver, however the 565 chassis isn't as totally open-backed as the 650 chassis and hence may afford my Frankensteined cans a bit of an acoustic differential if compared to a pair of pukka 650's. I don't have a pair of 650's to compare however so I'll never know.

What say ye all? Should I stick with these for a 'maybe the same' experience or drop some notes on a proper pair of 650's...?

Aug 10, 2017 at 3:32 AM Post #3 of 8
Wow! 2.5 years later, a reply! haha
Well, theyre still going strong and sound fab.
I managed to do a couple of listening tests with some pukka 650's plugged into the same splitter box so I could swap quickly and you know what; I can't tell the difference, even though the age of the drivers between my set and the 2x 650 sets were widly varied too!

So, very happy with the Frankensenners and they continue to serve as my 'daily driver' for non-electronic music. For that I use the ATH-M50's.

Great alternative to lashing out on a set of 650's imo. Just buy an old knackered pair of 565's, drop some 650 drivers in, some new foams and Bob's yer roadie!

*thumbs up* for spotting this thread fella :wink:

Aug 10, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #5 of 8
I gotta ask, what happened to the donor pair 650s? Seems like a kinda expensive transplant into an older set of headphones.
Nope, I bought the drivers from Sennheiser direct. About Eur50 each as I remember. I already had the complete 565's sitting in a drawer for about 5 years and the drivers and foams had perished. Then I found out the drivers were exactly the same size as used in the 650's and then the lightbulb above my head went on! :D

Not sure if they still sell spare drivers these days but back then you could pick and choose whatever you needed, including foams, cables etc. Happy days.
:wink:

Aug 11, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #6 of 8
I meant to say a few years ago that they will probably sound the same and don't bother spending the extra cash for 'real' HD650s...I'm glad you followed my retroactive advice without me having to express it...

Aug 11, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #7 of 8
I meant to say a few years ago that they will probably sound the same and don't bother spending the extra cash for 'real' HD650s...I'm glad you followed my retroactive advice without me having to express it...
uhhhh, yuhhh. thanks for that er, retroactive advice. really beneficial, in retrospect. and my crystal ball, instinct, third sense and subconcious thanks you aswell :wink:

Aug 11, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #8 of 8
uhhhh, yuhhh. thanks for that er, retroactive advice. really beneficial, in retrospect. and my crystal ball, instinct, third sense and subconcious thanks you aswell :wink:
I like to give back to the community....if post hoc advice is the best I can do until my time machine is complete, so be it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back