HD650 - defoaming vs. recabling
Jul 11, 2006 at 12:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

carlosgp

500+ Head-Fier
This is an attempt to assess the relative impact of recabling and defoaming over hd650 sound. I would say defoaming makes a big difference, maybe something around a 15% of final sound. What is your opinion? I'm assumming defoaming makes a much bigger impact in sound than recabling.
And comparing defoaming vs. recabling in their own: If defoaming a HD650 makes a sound change of 10 in a 0-10 scale, how much change does recabling?

Jul 11, 2006 at 2:52 PM Post #2 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by carlosgp
This is an attempt to assess the relative impact of recabling and defoaming over hd650 sound. I would say defoaming makes a big difference, maybe something around a 15% of final sound. What is your opinion? I'm assumming defoaming makes a much bigger impact in sound than recabling.
And comparing defoaming vs. recabling in their own: If defoaming a HD650 makes a sound change of 10 in a 0-10 scale, how much change does recabling?

I think either mod has (objectively) less than 5% impact on the sound. Subjectively: if you're looking for the final polishing of a sound you already like these can be very satisfying percentages....
You can always try the foam pad-mod: you can take them out and put them back in as you please. No cost, and then you can hear for yourself.

Jul 11, 2006 at 3:15 PM Post #3 of 15
I recommend putting the foam inside the venting grills.
I like my HD580 much more this way-not only more heights, even slightly dryer bass.

gitter_m2.jpg

m00h

Jul 11, 2006 at 7:58 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by derekbmn
IMO and to my ear's recabling made a much larger change than defoaming did .

Same here.

Jul 11, 2006 at 8:12 PM Post #6 of 15
I never would defoam, but I would recable
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 12, 2006 at 12:47 AM Post #7 of 15
My '600s were much improved by recabling, much more so than with defoaming, difficult to state percentages, but then my stock cable had really taken a beating, with bad DIY soldering and whatnot...

Jul 12, 2006 at 12:52 AM Post #8 of 15
I like the sound of my stock HD650s, and prefer that sound with the foam in. I also think that unless your an HD650 fan, theres better things to spend the money on than a new cable. jm2c.

Jul 12, 2006 at 1:04 AM Post #9 of 15
i also prefer the hd650 stock. without the foam, the cans seem to lose cohesiveness. while the highs become brighter, there's a loss of bass and midrange and the whole sound seems to skew towards treble. i've never tried recabling so i can't comment on that.

Jul 12, 2006 at 4:32 AM Post #10 of 15
Well, a Zu Mobius (to name one) is about $200. For $200, you can get a Grado SR-225 or an AKG K-601.

To my way of thinking, you're better off buying another pair of headphones if you're looking for a different sound. It's controversial whether cables make any difference at all. But buying different headphones will absolutely get you a change.

Jul 12, 2006 at 8:17 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik
Well, a Zu Mobius (to name one) is about $200. For $200, you can get a Grado SR-225 or an AKG K-601.

To my way of thinking, you're better off buying another pair of headphones if you're looking for a different sound. It's controversial whether cables make any difference at all. But buying different headphones will absolutely get you a change.

If one buys an aftermarket cable for HD650 it's not because they seek totally different sound. They want to make their HD650 sound absolutely best it can. Many people here have built their rigs for HD650 and want it to sound the best.

Jul 12, 2006 at 8:23 AM Post #12 of 15
I would preferred more numerical estimations
smily_headphones1.gif
I think defoaming is dependent of the equipment used. It works very well with good quality tube amps and not so well with leaner amps, for example.
Uncle Erik, yes, recabling has the problem of price. But if you like the hd650 is very difficult to avoid thinking about "tweaking" the sound a little more, just for the sake of doing it. Furthermore, many of us headfiers already have other cans. Well, at least discussing it is very entertaining
smily_headphones1.gif
. At the end, I think I prefer saving the money for another set of cans too. At least until now...

Jul 28, 2006 at 1:30 AM Post #13 of 15
For me the combination seemed to:

- Improve the sound about 25% (tighter, brighter, more aggressive, more clarity, more detail).

And of that 25% improvement, each change seemed to have the following impact:

- Defoaming about 50%.

- Cardas cable about 50%

It's worth it... if you like and want a more Gradoish sound.

GF2

Mar 7, 2007 at 11:47 PM Post #14 of 15
I did both and re-cableing made a lot bigger difference than de-foaming. In fact I did not like the sound without the foam and they went back in but the new Equinox cable stayed for sure.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Mar 8, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #15 of 15
I much prefer my HD650s without the foam. I've had the upgraded cable on for so long, I have forgot what it sounds like with stock, so I can't comment there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back