HD650... balanced setup
Mar 9, 2009 at 2:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Devon8822

100+ Head-Fier
I am thinking about getting a balanced hd650 and I have a couple questions.

I have been told I will need a balanced amp and a balanced source. What exactly is meant by balanced source? My source will be Mp3's from my Mac.

Mar 9, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #3 of 20
Most if not all balanced sources will have XLR outputs, like the Benchmark DAC1, Lavry DA10. Some will have balanced TRS outputs, like the Presonus Central Station. A notable exception is the CIAudio VDA-2 which has balanced output through two pairs of RCA jacks.

A balanced signal means that there are two signals with opposite polarity travelling in the same cable.

Mar 9, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #4 of 20
bit of a hijack, but, are there any quality DACs that have balanced outputs under a grand, or half a grand?

Mar 9, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Devon8822 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My source will be Mp3's from my Mac.

i don't think you're quite ready for balanced.

Mar 9, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #6 of 20
Firstly, use lossless files.
Second, use digital out from your source ( Mac )
Third, I thought you must have DAC with XLR outputs.
4th, You must have amp with XLR inputs.
5th, XLR cables to your can.
6th, Enjoy music, sorry for your wallet.

Mar 9, 2009 at 5:23 AM Post #7 of 20
one of the cheapest ways to go balanced (amp + dac): http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f42/fs...mp-dac-413298/

or if you budget is a little higher, then: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f42/fs...ax-dac-412527/

and then buy a bal cable for your 650: Balanced Stock Sennheiser HD650 Cable @ HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears

or get a bal K701: AKG K 701 Cardas Recabled Balanced XLR Headphones NEW! - eBay (item 190290943048 end time Mar-10-09 15:38:42 PDT)

and of course use lossless or wav files for music.

Mar 9, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #8 of 20
I am currently using a TADAC from Tube Audio Design (Tube Audio Design) that I got for under a grand. Best DAC I've ever owned. Paul G., the creator of the TADAC is actually going to install two Moon HDAMs in it for me, while still keeping the original warranty. This will make this DAC even better.

I have previously owned a Keces DA-151, Zindak DAC-5, and PS Audio DL Link 3 (not Cullen modded), and the TADAC blows them all out the water (in my opinion).

My headphones are the HD650s with a Little Dot MK6. When I finally got the correct balanced XLR cables (instead of chep $10 XLR microphone cables - that are not balanced), I was completely floored and still am by how much the HD650s improve when running in true balanced mode. If you love HD650s, you owe it to yourself to hear them balanced. It was not until I did my test over the weekend between SE and balanced, that I REALLY noticed the huge improvement balanced brings to the HD650 and I will never be able to go back to SE.

Also, for the original poster, you can consider the Cambridge DAC with the Little Dot MK6 as another alternative to the Headroom stuff if you want balanced with tubes. Though, I would spend a little more money on a DAC I can keep for a while, remember, garbage in, garbage out. But you will first need to go lossless before anything else.

Mar 9, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #10 of 20
Haha, yes that has been asked many times, but the technical term Paul says is that, "it increases 2nd order harmonics." --> have no idea what that means.

The best way I can describe it is that when I increase the tubyness knob I notice that the music and instruments become louder or more pronounced while keeping the vocals at about the same level. I can also see how this can be perceived as adding warmth to the music.

I find myself adjusting the gain and tubyness knobs per song. Those two features allow me to tailor the sound to just the way I like it individually for every song. I can also see how this would be a big benefit for others who have multiple headphones.

Mar 9, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #11 of 20
My DacMagic is 400$ in most places and a little lower in the UK. Now for an amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 9, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by Devon8822 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My source will be Mp3's from my Mac.

i don't think you're quite ready for balanced.

x2
First skip those lossy files, then look into balanced DAC/amplification.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back