HD650 and HE-400
Mar 9, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #17 of 21
Quote:
If you want to go tubes there's always the lyr :wink: 

Yeah, that is an option right now if I stretch my budget but how would the Lyr differ from the Asgard2 in terms of sound? I read that the different amps do not really alter the sound of the HE400s? I also read that the Lyr offers a warmer sound, so would that help the HE400? How do you like the combo?

Mar 9, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #18 of 21
Yeah, that is an option right now if I stretch my budget but how would the Lyr differ from the Asgard2 in terms of sound? I read that the different amps do not really alter the sound of the HE400s? I also read that the Lyr offers a warmer sound, so would that help the HE400? How do you like the combo?

The Lyr is pretty powerful.  From what I've gathered; the HE-400 scales with the amp.  The most powerful amp I have is the Asgard, so I can't really offer much personal advice on it, but some of the guys over in the HE-400 thread really like the HE-400 with the Lyr.

If the Lyr offers a warmer sound than the asgard (I say this because I haven't hear the lyr), it would calm the treble down a bit.

Mar 11, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #19 of 21
Hi HE-400 is definitely the better choice for EDM. The HD650 definitely wins in the mids but even with some decent bass, it cannot win in how well HE-400 delivers the crisp, clean and punchy bass. I would say if you can afford the Lyr you can shoot for that. I have no clue how well the Asgard 2 (or the Lyr for that matter) handles the HE-400 but I recently added a vintage marantz receiver into my collection and the insane amounts of power that thing can supply really makes the HE-400 sound amazing. In this sense I can see how the Lyr could be a great pick. If it can supply a great deal of power and add some warmth in a similar way to how the Marantz does, I don't see how you can be disappointed. That being said, I do not have any experience with asgard or lyr so listen more to those who actually own it. Overall though I believe some warmth and gracious amounts of power do some amazing things for the HE-400. 

Mar 11, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #20 of 21
I love the He-400 with the Lyr (although I haven't tried tube rolling yet, so I have yet to fully experience what the Lyr has to offer) 

For me, orthos are a whole different beast from dynamic They both have their pros and cons. 

But if you're an EDM guy, the He-400 will not disappoint. I'm debating right now if I want to get the HE-500 and sell off both of my phones (cause I'm trying to be a one phone type of guy), but its just so hard to be happy with only one phone lol 

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #21 of 21
Thank you so much everyone, you've all helped tremendously with my decision. I'm set on the HE-400s now and I am looking into amps and possibly DACs if I have leftover funds.

I'm almost decided on the Lyr to power the HE-400s but, (why is there always a but? 
tongue.gif
 ) I've stumbled upon the DIY Project Sunrise II / Project Horizon amplifiers and they are cheaper and are being compared to the LYR and are coming out pretty close. The thing is I really love DIY stuff and if I can save money in the process, why not right?

So has anyone heard these two with the HE-400s? All the threads I've searched for reference the HE-500s but the HE-400s are easier to amp so I'm not sure if it will be wonky with the Project Sunrise II / Horizon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back