HD600 - weak bass?
Apr 15, 2006 at 6:17 PM Post #31 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordgibbness
The HD600s have an impedence of 600ohms whereas most amps headphone jacks are designed to operate around the 32 to 50ohm mark.

The HD600s have a nominal impedence of 300ohms.

Apr 15, 2006 at 6:55 PM Post #32 of 45
During my short listen with the 600 at the San Jose meet last August, I found the bass slightly overpowering. Just don't ask me what it was plugged into (though I'm sure it was something good) or what I was listening to ..
plainface.gif
I just definitely found the bass to be too heavy. But then I'm an AKG man.
biggrin.gif

Apr 15, 2006 at 10:05 PM Post #34 of 45
BTW, try a bit of bass boost with the HD600 (if you have the capability)... IME the bass remains nice and tight.

Apr 17, 2006 at 2:12 AM Post #35 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23
The HD600s have a nominal impedence of 300ohms.

Yep, sorry - my mistake!

Apr 17, 2006 at 2:52 AM Post #36 of 45
If properly fed (amped) the HD-600s have more than adequate bass and would never be characterized as bass shy.
580smile.gif
600smile.gif
basshead.gif

May 2, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #37 of 45
My HD600 has perfect bass in terms of quantity. One of the most balanced headphones I've ever had (on my setup). The HD650, for example, have in my rig a little too much bass, so I ended preferring the HD600 to them, accepting a bit of more "roughness" in the HD600 (compared to the HD650).

bye
Andrew

What are you using as an amp?

Jun 23, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #38 of 45
  What are you using as an amp?

It's a different world since then... You realize you're responding a post that is almost 10 years old, right?

Something must have changed since then. People over head-fi rarely complain about HD600 being bass light these days. I think over here everyone learns to appreciate neutral sound and steer clear from commercial bass-heavy headphone signatures.

Jun 24, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #39 of 45
It's a different world since then... You realize you're responding a post that is almost 10 years old, right?

Something must have changed since then. People over head-fi rarely complain about HD600 being bass light these days. I think over here everyone learns to appreciate neutral sound and steer clear from commercial bass-heavy headphone signatures.

I just noticed now. Some time ago i found this trait searching about the sound signature of the hd600, and comparing it against the hd650.
I do like bass in music because it makes it sound fuller. A solid and thight one in my preference. Don't like the overblowing bass that some comercial closed back have. The 600 since being an open back, doesnt get last bit tightness which is normal, but good to know they improved the bass roloff a bit. I'm interested in getting this cans.

Jun 24, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #40 of 45
I just noticed now. Some time ago i found this trait searching about the sound signature of the hd600, and comparing it against the hd650.
I do like bass in music because it makes it sound fuller. A solid and thight one in my preference. Don't like the overblowing bass that some comercial closed back have. The 600 since being an open back, doesnt get last bit tightness which is normal, but good to know they improved the bass roloff a bit. I'm interested in getting this cans.

HD600 is a special headphone. It's my favorite. And I'v head quite a few. You can read about it forever and there is only one real criticism brought up by people - the weak sub-bass. The good news is there are very few instruments producing sounds this low in frequency anyway. You might miss some of the rumble of a big orchestral bass drum or something. Other than that, the bass is always there nice and firm, and not weak at all.

Oct 25, 2019 at 8:27 AM Post #41 of 45
I have the new HD 600, the 2019 model and they have very low bas. To the point that in some songs i bealry hear the low end at all. I have them conected to an amp, ifi Nano BL. But still they sound small and like there is something wrong with them. I have tested them with other amps (no expensive ones for example Fiio X3 MK 2) but the sound did not improve at all. Sometimes i find them fatiguing. Both the headphones and amp are brand new. I have also had some strange behaviour from the ifi, meaning the the sound was reduced in half and become very distored. This happened 2 times already. Now it is working again.

I do not understand what people are doing to make this headphones sing and have normal decent base. Mine sound quite bad. I find myself being glad when i turn off the music and remove them from my head. I have no joy when listening to music with this headphones. This has never ever happened before with all the headphones that i used.

I am very intrested in clean and flat sound, but the bass is very very low, i mean i can bearly hear the low notes on songs that i know exaclty how they should sound. I listen to music at night when it is dark and i can concentrate on what i hear, but after a few minutes i become annoyed because something is missing from them.

I have payed a lot of money for this 2 devices and the sound is bad, not even close to what i was expecting. As i said i am very into flat sound, do not like colouration and can hear easily when headphones or speakers colour the sound.

What am i doing wrong? Should i change the amp? Should i get an amp that has bass boost (something that i find sacrilegiuos since i hate using EQs).

How are you getting this sound that everyone says it is legendary and i am getting this broing, thin and dull sound. What should i change or test?

Thank you.

Oct 25, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #42 of 45
I have the new HD 600, the 2019 model and they have very low bas. To the point that in some songs i bealry hear the low end at all. I have them conected to an amp, ifi Nano BL. But still they sound small and like there is something wrong with them. I have tested them with other amps (no expensive ones for example Fiio X3 MK 2) but the sound did not improve at all. Sometimes i find them fatiguing. Both the headphones and amp are brand new. I have also had some strange behaviour from the ifi, meaning the the sound was reduced in half and become very distored. This happened 2 times already. Now it is working again.

I do not understand what people are doing to make this headphones sing and have normal decent base. Mine sound quite bad. I find myself being glad when i turn off the music and remove them from my head. I have no joy when listening to music with this headphones. This has never ever happened before with all the headphones that i used.

I am very intrested in clean and flat sound, but the bass is very very low, i mean i can bearly hear the low notes on songs that i know exaclty how they should sound. I listen to music at night when it is dark and i can concentrate on what i hear, but after a few minutes i become annoyed because something is missing from them.

I have payed a lot of money for this 2 devices and the sound is bad, not even close to what i was expecting. As i said i am very into flat sound, do not like colouration and can hear easily when headphones or speakers colour the sound.

What am i doing wrong? Should i change the amp? Should i get an amp that has bass boost (something that i find sacrilegiuos since i hate using EQs).

How are you getting this sound that everyone says it is legendary and i am getting this broing, thin and dull sound. What should i change or test?

Thank you.

Bass roll-off is pretty steep below 100Hz on the HD600, all you can really do about that is EQ them or buy a different headphone with less bass roll-off

Oct 25, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #43 of 45

Thank you.

Change headphones or use equalizer.

IMO it is always a bad idea to buy new equipment (amp or dac or cable) to fix equipment you dont like. they dont tend to make enough difference to take your opinion of a headphone from hate to love.

equalization is always an option. you can boost the frequencies lower than 100hz and see how you like it. but just use free software instead of more expensive equipment.

your best bet is to buy a different headphone. you want something from the hd600 that it does not do. if u force it to through eq or weird equipment, it wont be that great.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #44 of 45
On my Rag 1 the bass is strong to 80 Hz, good at 75 Hz, falling fast under 60 Hz - but its fast, damped, pure. It is not overblown LCD2C bass.

However on BH Crack the bass is very strong down to 30 Hz, it's got grit, guts, and its still quick and damped
, it's about as good a bass as you could hope for. I just don't want to buy an amp for one set of cans (all my others are planars that need juice under 60 ohms and the BH just doesn't do it.

I don't agree with some of the comments, but the HD-600 doesn't EQ well in the bass (for more, maybe +2 db is it)

What do you listen too? What is your reference speaker and can? I tried helping a guy a long time ago, and then found out his speakers had the sloppiest most underdamped bass that there is, if your reference is on that side, not much to do.

But only that model "crack" from BH does this, the others I have tried do not.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2019 at 3:01 AM Post #45 of 45
Change headphones or use equalizer.

IMO it is always a bad idea to buy new equipment (amp or dac or cable) to fix equipment you dont like. they dont tend to make enough difference to take your opinion of a headphone from hate to love.

equalization is always an option. you can boost the frequencies lower than 100hz and see how you like it. but just use free software instead of more expensive equipment.

your best bet is to buy a different headphone. you want something from the hd600 that it does not do. if u force it to through eq or weird equipment, it wont be that great.

I have fixed the problem.

Have changed the headphones. My new HD 660s have everything i need and what the HD 600 was lacking. I have them paired with an ifi Micro iDSD (silver one) and the sound is beautiful, it just flows, and the bas is exactly how it should be. The sound is much better than it was before on HD 600 with ifi Nano BL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back