HD600 - weak bass?
Apr 14, 2006 at 6:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

funnycaff

New Head-Fier
Was wondering what people think about the bass / treble balance on the HD600s - I know there will be fans and critics but this is my own opinion:

I bought a pair of HD600's about two months ago. I've properly run them in with every kind of music you can imagine
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm not an expert on hi-fidelty sound, but I find the bass quite weak on these 'phones. Generally, the sound quality is top notch and is proving great for music composition when I can't use my speakers. But I find the sound less 'rich' than it feels it should be as a result of the bass.

Do you think it could be because I need to run them in further?

Any ideas?

Maybe my ears need changing
biggrin.gif

Apr 14, 2006 at 6:54 PM Post #2 of 45
Plenty of bass over here....

Apr 14, 2006 at 7:15 PM Post #6 of 45
Hi there,

I can't comment on the HD600's specifically, but when I first got into headphones, I too wondered what happened to the bass in music I knew well.

I think you just might be used to the sheer impact of the bass and sub-bass that speakers pump out. It might take some while to get used to, but the bass is still there in headphones (only you gotta listen for it). Also, as mentioned, your amp has a lot to do with the quantity and impact of bass.

Apr 14, 2006 at 7:29 PM Post #8 of 45
To my ears the HD600s were not bad phones, but they certainly had too much bass. Go figure.

Regards,

L.

Apr 14, 2006 at 7:37 PM Post #9 of 45
I think that a lot of it depends on your source. I've heard the HD600's played from a computer sound card (don't know which card) and it sounded pretty thin, whereas with other sources, these phones sound very rich and very full.

Apr 14, 2006 at 9:02 PM Post #11 of 45
i think it has plenty and i've used three diff amps, pa2v2, sr71, and mpx3. they all provided plenty of bass from the hd600. i think there's less treble than bass, but i think that's the senn veil

Apr 14, 2006 at 9:04 PM Post #13 of 45
I'm thinking you are a victim of hearing too many cans with bass boost to please all the masses. Unfortunately, these cans are very inacurate and the boomy bass is there to mask it. The HD600s have very accurate sound, including the bass. I feel it to be nicely extended and not overly exaggerated. With the stock cable, I felt that the treble was a bit overpowering, but with the cardas it has evened things out nicely. You will soon come to LOVE this sound.
600smile.gif

Slade

Apr 14, 2006 at 9:37 PM Post #14 of 45
My HD580 with 650 cable has plenty of bass for me. Not the massive grado kind, but yet plenty for me.

Garrett

Apr 14, 2006 at 9:39 PM Post #15 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sladeophile
I'm thinking you are a victim of hearing too many cans with bass boost to please all the masses. Unfortunately, these cans are very inacurate and the boomy bass is there to mask it. The HD600s have very accurate sound, including the bass. I feel it to be nicely extended and not overly exaggerated. With the stock cable, I felt that the treble was a bit overpowering, but with the cardas it has evened things out nicely. You will soon come to LOVE this sound.
600smile.gif

Slade

I agree - if you want boosted bass, get the 650.

The Cardas makes a big improvement accross the board, but mainly adds upper midrange which is missing with the stock cable (called the Sennheisser veil).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back