HD600 WANTS PARTNER FOR LIFE
Jul 24, 2003 at 10:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

SuperMario

Head-Fier
Hello, everyone!

I am a recent member of this forum, although I have been browsing through it for several months now. And I must say that I am very well impressed by the quality and quantity of the information found in its pages, as well as how helpul you guys can be! Thanks to all your comments and reviews, I became addicted to this site.

I am searching for the best headphone amplifier (at a reasonable price - under $1,000) for the Sennheiser HD600's I bought three years ago. I have been reading a lot about amps that are able to match the excellence of the HD600's. I have read some excellent comments/reviews on MG HEAD DT/OTL, WHEATFIELD AUDIO HA-2, EARMAX PRO and SINGLEPOWER MPX3, as well as CORDAS HA-2 and PREHEAD, SUGDEN HEADMASTER or EMMELINE HR-2, to name a few.

All of them seem to be wonderful(?) partners to my HD600's. Nevertheless, choosing from such a list of candidates (don't forget the more expensive MELOS, BLOCKHEAD and GRACE 901) appears to be a very tough task.

So, I am putting a thread in this forum for the first time in order to get some quality advice from someone far more experienced than me in such matters. WHAT AMP SHOULD I GO FOR? If you have at least listened to or compared two of the aforementioned amps (and I'm sure some of you have), your comments will be most appreciated. I realize that others have been putting this same question to you many times, but, for some reason, they seem not to furnish you with all the necessary inputs.

Please take the following into consideration:

----- my musical preferences are classical, choral, some jazz and some rock (and a little bit of other things);

----- I would prefer tube to solid-state (but only because my choice will always favour the less fatiguing, smooth, liquid sound that is characteristic of tube amps - I can't stand any harshness on the high frequencies, for instance);

----- I intend to plug the HD600's to a good source (yet to be purchased as I am in the process of upgrading my system) like Linn Ikemi, Meridian 506, Gamut CD1, Quad 99 CD-P, Cary 303/200 or any other machine on this league - I could use some advice on this as well;

----- the budget for this acquisition is somewhere between $500 and $1,000 (although I might be willing to spend a few extra bucks to reach THE REAL DEAL for my HD600's - I would rather do that instead of keep doing endless upgrades).

I understand that my ears and my own judgement about an audition shouldn't be replaced by someone's opinion, but I don't have the time or the mood to go across the country on a quest for the #1 partner to the HD600's (ideally, you should be able to find all the finest equipment at the same dealer... right in your neighborhood (!) and choose the most suitable one solely based on your own judgement. But who said the world is perfect?

Being a NATO (European) military on assignment in the US right now, I would like to get an amp that I can use during my stay here thru 2005 as well as in my country after my returning.

As you can imagine, what I need is a battery-powered or dual-voltage (115-220 V) unit which will allow me to use it wherever I might be.

And this, I am afraid, can shorten the candidates' list: I don't know of any other battery-powered amp than the Grado RA-1 (I believe a battery-powered version of the Emmeline HR-2 is about to be launched); as far as dual-voltage units, I guess only the Grace 901 has this feature. Am I right? Are there any other options that can suit the HD600's needs as well as my musical tastes and sound-like preferences? I will appreciate your comments on this, as well.

For a first thread, this is already long enough and I am sorry for bothering you with all my concerns, but I feel I am depending on you for a final decision. I hope you can help me!

I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you very much, guys.

Jul 24, 2003 at 11:07 PM Post #2 of 39
The duel-voltage requirement will undoubtly be a chalenge in looking for an amp. My personal favorate amp with the HD-600's is the audiovalue RKV, which can be purchased from Jan meier (www.meier-audio.com), which provides the smooth, laid back presentation that you seem to be looking for. It is also a tube amp, which is something you seemed to be intrested in. Also, have you upgraded the HD-600 cable yet? If you're going to spend over a grand on a source, it's pratically a requirement to get a replacement cable.

Jul 24, 2003 at 11:39 PM Post #3 of 39
If the Singlepower Supra sounds anything like my SDS amp does with my HD600/cardas that would be my choice. You can ask Mikhail and see if he can build it with the power options you need. I'm sure there are others out there who have heard the Singlepower amps with the HD600. As far as the source go's I'd shop for a used Audio Research CD3 or CD2 over any of the ones you spoke of. Also you could look for a used Audio Aero capitole MKI. How much money do you plan to spend for the source? Anyway with the sources your looking at and $1K for an amp you really can't go wrong. No matter what you decide, upgrade your cable on the HD600 while your waiting on the other things to arrive. Good luck.
EDIT: I'm sorry I didn't see how much you wanted to spend on your source the first time i read your thread. So I would go for a used Meridian, or a used Rega Jupiter, or a CD2 if you can find one with any of the amps mentioned so far.

Jul 25, 2003 at 12:02 AM Post #4 of 39
Indeed there is one candidate that can use a battery....The Berling MicroZotl! It is within your price range, is tubed based...AND is apparently AWESOME with HD600's. Honestly, you won't be able to match all your requirements and get the fabulous sound you want from anything beside the MicroZotl. It may not be pretty but it works and it is wonderful.

If that doesn't suit your needs...I would recommend a Melos modded by Carlo before you go. A used Melos SHA-1 can often be had for 350-500 and the mods can be worked to your specifications per an arrangement with carlo. If it were not for your other requirements (all tube, even though the Zotl is not overly tube sounding depending on the tube, or the need for a battery, which the Zotl does provide...) I would definitely push the Melos. Of course, without listening....other reco's are very suitable, namely the SET Singlepowered amps, the wonderful RKV etc.

Jul 25, 2003 at 12:36 AM Post #5 of 39
amen to that Melos recommendation Zanth, the Melos SHA-Gold I am using right now is the best amp I have used with the Sennheisers yet! It is the first tube headphone amp I have tried but with the Rega Planet CD player it is an awesome combo for classical and acoustic music.

Jul 25, 2003 at 2:59 AM Post #6 of 39
I LUUUUVVVV the 600's with the Corda Prehead, but if it's tubes you're after, you may want to consider the OTL Mark II or what I have, The OTL32. This gives the 600's not only more than sufficient power to bring out the depth these phones are capable of, but also brings a fluid lushness to the sound, which accentuates the lower end and mids incredibly well.

As for your power requirements, You could have it wired one way, and use a voltage converter for another location. My Prehead is wired for 220V, but here I use said Voltage converter, and it works fabulously.

Jul 25, 2003 at 3:17 AM Post #7 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by SuperMario
As you can imagine, what I need is a battery-powered or dual-voltage (115-220 V) unit which will allow me to use it wherever I might be.

And this, I am afraid, can shorten the candidates' list: I don't know of any other battery-powered amp than the Grado RA-1 (I believe a battery-powered version of the Emmeline HR-2 is about to be launched); as far as dual-voltage units, I guess only the Grace 901 has this feature. Am I right? Are there any other options that can suit the HD600's needs as well as my musical tastes and sound-like preferences? I will appreciate your comments on this, as well.

The Berning MicroZOTL may satisfy your power needs. It can run off of a 12V battery...but you won't need to. It has a universal power supply that can operate on any AC power from 100 to 240 v and 50 to 60Hz. It also happens to be an excellent amp, and was my reference amp for a very long time.

Jul 25, 2003 at 6:05 PM Post #8 of 39
If you want the best price/performance for the HD600 I would strongly consider:

Headroom (www.headphone.com)
Maxed out Home / Reference $1,150.00
Plus get the Cardas cable $150.00

Total of $1,300.00

That's for unbalanced (RCA).

If you want the best balanced sound,
the headroom BlockHead is unbeatable, especially with stepped attenuators. It has an unbelieveable sound (you need to feed it a monster CDP that has XLRs and really good recordings or its nothing special). The blockhead is way out of your price range though.

Cheers,
Geek

Jul 25, 2003 at 6:24 PM Post #9 of 39
Ray Samuels HR-2. Plug it in and forget it, power to burn, and most importantly sound that scales up to the kind of source you will be using. Great amp.

Mark

Jul 27, 2003 at 4:31 AM Post #10 of 39
Hi, all

I thank you very much for all your replies, and apologize for my absence in the last hours; I have lost my web connection for a while.

I would like to clarify something I said, and correct some wrong assumption made by some of you (I guess):
I might have given the impression that I'm looking for a tube amp and nothing else than that. No! What I really meant is that I will always prefer the tube-like sound, either it comes from a tube amp or from a solid state amp. Because I believe that the same way the best digital sources can sound analogic, the best SS amps can sound as if they were tube-designed (their sound can be as unfatiguing, smooth and sweet as a real tube amp). In short, what I'm looking for is an amp whose sound has the best virtues of both designs - tube and solid state -, and might be an outstanding partner to the HD600's.

This said, you feel free for a few more advice on some SS amps.

Another request: as English is not my natural language and I am a newbie (as you call it), I will appreciate you don't make use (in your replies) of difficult acronyms, abreviations or expressions that might be unknown to me. Although my username is SuperMario, I'm not that super!
wink.gif

Ebonyks:

The RKV seems to be a very fine amp, indeed. I'v been reading that matches very well with the HD600's. I'm willing to give it an audition, but I don't think this amp has the dual-voltage capability.
Regarding the cable upgrading, I believe that is a must and I do intend to go for such an upgrade. Based on what I've been reading, my choice will probably favour the Equinox... over the Cardas. What do you think?

Tom Hankins:

I'm anxious to get some feedback from the owners of the MPX3/HD600 combo. Thanks for the advice on the source. Although I have been reading wonderful comments about the Linn Ikemi and the Meridian 506, I will probably try to find an used AR CD3 or CD2 for use during my stay here.

Zanth and Hirsch

Those are great news! The MicroZotl seems to fulfill all my requirements (except for beauty), indeed. The universal power supply is an outstanding feature. I will definitely put it in my list.

Williamgoody:

According to what I have read, the PreHead is, indeed, a very appealing amp in every respect. It lacks the dual-voltage capability, though. So does the ASL although "it brings a fluid lushness to the sound" that I would certainly love. I will consider the use of a converter. Thanks.

Geek:

The Headroom MOH Reference seems a very interesting and valid option. I'll think about it.
As far as the Blockhead, this "rolls-royce" is definitely out of reach for me.

Markl:

I've read your excellent review of the HR-2 (not combined with the HD600 though) and registered your excitment about its performance. I myself got very excited about the foreseen sinergy with the HD600 as you stated. I talk to Ray Samuels and he is willing to send me the new (portable) XP-7 to an audition.
This new amp is the answer to all my power requirements. I hope the sound is not too vivid (alive) for my tastes! What do you think?

Thanks again for all your comments and advice. I look forward to hearing from you more.

Jul 29, 2003 at 2:25 AM Post #11 of 39
Hey, guys, don't let me like this! I can use some more guidance from you...

What about the Grace 901? Does it have dual-voltage capability? I'm wondering how a good match would this be with the HD600's. Would it be better than the Bernig MicroZOTL/HD600 combo? Would it be up to the PreHead or HR-2 standards?

I understand that there are not much Headfiers that own the 901, giving the number of related posts on this forum.

What about the owners of the Singlepower MPX3/HD600 combo?
Are there any of you out there? Give me an idea of your findings, please.

I'll wait your comments. Thanks

Jul 30, 2003 at 6:43 PM Post #12 of 39
wait for the ppa to come out ....even tylll the prez of headroom said it sounded better than their headroom max...

Jul 30, 2003 at 7:51 PM Post #13 of 39
Quote:

I've read your excellent review of the HR-2 (not combined with the HD600 though) and registered your excitment about its performance. I myself got very excited about the foreseen sinergy with the HD600 as you stated. I talk to Ray Samuels and he is willing to send me the new (portable) XP-7 to an audition.

Sounds like a great offer, you should take him up on it. If it's anything like the HR-2, it should be a winner.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 30, 2003 at 9:36 PM Post #14 of 39
Thanks, Extreme, but what is a ppa? (I assume it is a new Headroom amp, but... Sorry for my ignorance!)

Markl, thanks for posting once again

From someone who have owned a great deal of amps (tube and SS), tell me, please:

between the Berning MicroZOTL (tube based) and the HR-2 (SS), which one is more appropriate to deal with classical music? Or should I favour the Melos?

You know, I have the chance to buy an used Melos SHA-1 or an used Berning; is it a big risk to go for used valve amps? Should I avoid that and go for SS, either used or new?

I'll wait your comments

Thanks, guys

Jul 30, 2003 at 10:23 PM Post #15 of 39
Quote:

Another request: as English is not my natural language and I am a newbie (as you call it), I will appreciate you don't make use (in your replies) of difficult acronyms, abreviations or expressions that might be unknown to me.

Your English is better than the vast majority of Americans; you should be proud of yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back