HD600 vs K601 vs Q701 vs your idea.
Mar 2, 2012 at 1:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

emericanchaos

100+ Head-Fier
looking for an upgrade from a budget-fi setup.  midfi i guess.  budget is around $1200US.  I listen to all sorts of music.  basically i want comfortable headphones for metal, heavy metal, virtuoso guitar rock, atmospheric (sigur ros), old R&B, movies, etc.  this is arranged in order.  more interested in music than anything and rock/metal more than any.  willing to commit to two headphones so long as the rest of the setup matches well (amp, DAC).

Mar 2, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #2 of 10

Quote:
looking for an upgrade from a budget-fi setup.  midfi i guess.  budget is around $1200US.  I listen to all sorts of music.  basically i want comfortable headphones for metal, heavy metal, virtuoso guitar rock, atmospheric (sigur ros), old R&B, movies, etc.  this is arranged in order.  more interested in music than anything and rock/metal more than any.  willing to commit to two headphones so long as the rest of the setup matches well (amp, DAC)

Grado GS1000i (see about the 10% discount for  HeadFi members)
NFB-12

End game.

Very best,

Mar 2, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #3 of 10
Pick up a used LCD-2 Rev. 2 with a Asus Essence STX/ST. Not a top regarded amp/DAC combo but headphones do offered the most most improvement of the chain. And also the HD600 and Q701 aren't really the most engaging headphones. So neither of them would be the best of the best for metal. Never heard the K601.

Mar 6, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #8 of 10
I own the Q701 and I don't find them the most interesting headphones to listen to. It's as though they are more like an audio tool for those who record and mix (even though I know you're not supposed to mix on headphones). They are fine studio headphones but I wouldn't want to wear them when I'm listening for pleasure. Don't know how they compare the K601 but I hear they are very similar to the K701, so...

While it may seem like it's all about Grados, for my money you can't go wrong with the RS1i (or you might want to try the PS500). If you go that route, you could pick up an HRT Music Streamer II for a DAC, a Schiit Asgard for an amp and still be at your budget of 1200 or slightly under if you go PS500.

Regarding comfort, I've been where you are. When I started my headphone journey, I tried out the Senn HD598 which at the time was the most comfortable phone I had ever experienced--but the sound did not excite me in the least. I found other headphones that were very comfortable like Audio-Technicas but still didn't like their sound and eventually settled on the Denon D7000 for late night (closed) listening and they are very comfortable.

Of course, I'd like to find it all in one phone--sound quality, comfort, price--but there are most often tradeoffs along the way.

Mar 6, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
you guys are all about grado.  :|

Well I said the LCD-2 and you said that it was too much of your budget. My idea was that you'd pay $900 maybe a little more for the LCD-2 and pick up a sound card that is considered a good DAC and could drive it well for $150. Tack on shipping for both you got yourself around $1200.

Quote:
I own the Q701 and I don't find them the most interesting headphones to listen to. It's as though they are more like an audio tool for those who record and mix (even though I know you're not supposed to mix on headphones). They are fine studio headphones but I wouldn't want to wear them when I'm listening for pleasure. Don't know how they compare the K601 but I hear they are very similar to the K701, so...

I had the exactly same thing with the AKG K702s. I liked that type of sound though. I only sold them to move onto speakers.

Mar 6, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #10 of 10
HD650 + an m³ amp... quite "cheap" but was considered top of the line some years ago... and will give you ~90% of today's benchmark. (Still need to get a decent DAC though, but there is quite some spare money to do so)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back