HD600 vs. HD650's Listening impressions? Preferences?
Dec 1, 2010 at 9:20 AM Post #16 of 29
Setting preferences aside, would an adequately driven HD600/HD650 provide a "WOW!" moment upon hearing, if coming from an MS-1i or M50? These two headphones are my only point of reference and my preference used to be skewed heavily towards the MS-1i. Lately, I've come to appreciate the M50 even though it lacks the zest and attack of the Alessandro. When I read about "laid back" headphones I figure that quality is more in the M50 end of the spectrum rather than the more forward and aggressive MS-1i. I don't think I'd mind that too much, as long as it's an apparent upgrade from my existing setup.

Dec 1, 2010 at 9:55 AM Post #17 of 29

Quote:
Setting preferences aside, would an adequately driven HD600/HD650 provide a "WOW!" moment upon hearing, if coming from an MS-1i or M50? These two headphones are my only point of reference and my preference used to be skewed heavily towards the MS-1i. Lately, I've come to appreciate the M50 even though it lacks the zest and attack of the Alessandro. When I read about "laid back" headphones I figure that quality is more in the M50 end of the spectrum rather than the more forward and aggressive MS-1i. I don't think I'd mind that too much, as long as it's an apparent upgrade from my existing setup.

I don't think an adequately driven hd600/hd650 are able to give a wow moment. You may only appreciate its beauty over some time. These sennheisers may seem abit dull compared to other cans but there are many people who feel that their tonality sound quite nice. Cans like Grado can give a 'WOW' moment but it may not last long. May be a hd600/650 driven balanced by some top end balanced amp can give a WOW moment.

Dec 1, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #19 of 29
I'd take the 600s. Order a 650 cable, ignore the faux-marble finish and enjoy the more neutral sound and greater comfort (IMO). Balanced, the 600s are still among the pick of the litter in terms of lack of fatigue, neutrality and all-round musicality. For under 250.00 for a good used pair, they're also a bargain.

o

And WOW moments -- why not? When I had the EarMax/600 combo a while back, almost anything acoustic strayed into WOW territory.

Jan 6, 2011 at 5:10 AM Post #20 of 29
Pairing the HD650with the Audio-gd FUn (upgraded) will not "slow" them down.  The Fun has plenty of power to drive the daylights out of both
models.  The 650's have a "bump" in the bass and perhaps tend to go a little darker and tighter at the same time. The 600s are hands-down the balance kings and they excell in neutrality and balance.  My 600's have a couple hundred hours of additional play over the 650s and they are just so beautifully
balanced I get sucked in to the world of the music without any fatigue or comfort issues.

Jan 6, 2011 at 8:25 AM Post #21 of 29

Quote:
Pairing the HD650with the Audio-gd FUn (upgraded) will not "slow" them down.  The Fun has plenty of power to drive the daylights out of both
models.  The 650's have a "bump" in the bass and perhaps tend to go a little darker and tighter at the same time. The 600s are hands-down the balance kings and they excell in neutrality and balance.  My 600's have a couple hundred hours of additional play over the 650s and they are just so beautifully
balanced I get sucked in to the world of the music without any fatigue or comfort issues.

Were you responding to my questions? I've had my HD650 for a few weeks now and just in case anyone missed the hundreds of posts I've made about it in other threads, yes the Fun has wonderful synergy with the HD650!

The discrete Earth hdam will give you crystalline transparency, resolution and a spacious soundstage, but I find Moon is where it's at with its energetic warmth and forward presentation. In high gain, the volume never exceeds 9 o'clock but pushing the dial past that highlights how much power is in reserve without a hint of distortion. It's effortlessly dynamic.

If anyone's reading this who has the same concerns I did a few weeks ago over the infamous "veil" or slow and boring presentation, I suggest you go into the HD650 Appreciation thread and read what many there have concluded, and what Uncle Erik actually stated on the first page of this thread. These are incredibly revealing headphones, and if you find them somehow overly deficient then its wonderfully balanced presentation is either not for you, or there is a bottleneck somewhere in your chain. Finding the right synergy is key.

Jan 6, 2011 at 9:05 AM Post #22 of 29
I had the hd 650 but now have the hd 600. The hd 650 had very nice bass and was never fatiguing but it is a little slow compared to my hd 600 I have now. Either sounds great. I think it comes down to your equipment. If I got the hd 650 again I would want to go balanced.

Jan 6, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #24 of 29
This is going to sound like a silly question, but I'm going to throw it out there.  While the HD600 and 650 are generally regarded as quite similar, is there a large gulf between the 595 and the 600?  My guess is yes, due to their very different price-points... but I've never had the opportunity to listen to the 600 or 650.  I'm mainly asking out of curiousity; it's way too soon for me to already be thinking about trading up or adding a new set of cans... :)

Jan 6, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #25 of 29
I've used the HD595 for 5 years now, but I literally JUST got a pair of HD600's delivered from FedEx :)

It should be a pretty damn big difference. If its not, I'm going to be very, very upset. I'll do an A/B for ya after a proper burn-in.

Jan 6, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #26 of 29
It's not as big as you would think because the 595 and 600 both have the Senn house sound. The 600 will definitely sound better. More extension on the low end for sure, more real sounding and less plasticky. The 595 is a notch or two brighter on the high end. which brings some details out that you will hear on the 600, but they blend in a little more. The 600 will be more smooth from top to bottom, but still lively with the right amp.

Quote:
This is going to sound like a silly question, but I'm going to throw it out there.  While the HD600 and 650 are generally regarded as quite similar, is there a large gulf between the 595 and the 600?  My guess is yes, due to their very different price-points... but I've never had the opportunity to listen to the 600 or 650.  I'm mainly asking out of curiousity; it's way too soon for me to already be thinking about trading up or adding a new set of cans... :)

Jan 7, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #27 of 29

Quote:
Quote:

I don't think an adequately driven hd600/hd650 are able to give a wow moment. You may only appreciate its beauty over some time. These sennheisers may seem abit dull compared to other cans but there are many people who feel that their tonality sound quite nice. Cans like Grado can give a 'WOW' moment but it may not last long. May be a hd600/650 driven balanced by some top end balanced amp can give a WOW moment.

Totally right. I'm always saying this and no one takes the slightest notice but hey, why not give it another shot?: The wow factor should be in the music, not the headphone. If the headphone is adding wow, it's probably a gross inaccuracy or colouration which will become extremely wearing in time. Get as neutral a phone as you can and let the music wow you; you'll be much happier in the long run.

Jan 7, 2011 at 2:27 AM Post #28 of 29

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Totally right. I'm always saying this and no one takes the slightest notice but hey, why not give it another shot?: The wow factor should be in the music, not the headphone. If the headphone is adding wow, it's probably a gross inaccuracy or colouration which will become extremely wearing in time. Get as neutral a phone as you can and let the music wow you; you'll be much happier in the long run.

I've been wowed many times while listening to the HD650 but on all occasions the amazement has originated from the music. Analysis of the headphones sound characteristics no longer detracts from the listening experience and again reinforces my belief that the HD650 is wonderfully transparent, meaning there is little to separate me from the music.

I don't envy those that constantly pick apart a headphone's sound. It must be maddening and probably explains the Wild West state of the forums at times.

Nov 30, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #29 of 29
I just bought 

I've been wowed many times while listening to the HD650 but on all occasions the amazement has originated from the music. Analysis of the headphones sound characteristics no longer detracts from the listening experience and again reinforces my belief that the HD650 is wonderfully transparent, meaning there is little to separate me from the music.

I don't envy those that constantly pick apart a headphone's sound. It must be maddening and probably explains the Wild West state of the forums at times.

I just bought the hd600s for 260 voer the hd650s for 315. please tell me i made the right choice. Upgrading over an ATH A900x. Will i hear a huge difference?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back