HD600 not great?
May 1, 2010 at 3:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

Mato

100+ Head-Fier
Listened to some HD600s that my friend owns the other day.

I didn't think they sounded that great! I listened to a variety of music at different recording qualities and thought it sounded really strange - I'm not very good at describing but the mids sounded really high maybe? I'm primarily looking for classical music, and didn't like the sound at all - definitely not a natural sound to my ears. I think it would be fair to say the classical music sounded very cold.

I also tried these 1) through a Beresford 7250 and 2) direct from the laptop and didn't even notice a big difference!

Anyone with a similar experience? What else should I stay clear of? HD650, K702, DT880?

May 1, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #2 of 44
Well, I'm not surprised as you didn't power it even close to it's potential with no amping in either of your comparisons. The HD600, as with most mid-fi headphones requires amplification and good amplification at that. It's a real shame that retailers don't advertise this fact and make it clear more.

May 1, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #3 of 44
Regardless of amping, you would probably be better served by the HD650, which will add that warmth to your classical music that you are missing. HD650 is great for classical in my opinion as it provides that sense of low end that many kinds of classical music require.

May 1, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #4 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I'm not surprised as you didn't power it even close to it's potential with no amping in either of your comparisons. The HD600, as with most mid-fi headphones requires amplification and good amplification at that. It's a real shame that retailers don't advertise this fact and make it clear more.

true...but I will also add that I know what the op is talking about. before I got the HD650 i was in a thought that they gonna be "fun",bassy sounding with maybe a little punch in them. I was totally wrong,I recognized that i am dealing with a very neutral,balanced sounding pair of headphones. not even talking of the 600 which considered as even more balanced/neutral.
I beleieve that amplification will make them sound much more refined and powerfull but it still won't change the general sound signature the op heard.
I will also add that the hd650 has a strange bump in the mid treble area which i find a little annoying....maybe that's what the op was talking about "high mids".

May 1, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #5 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks - there just seems to be some deliberation about the extent of amping these phones. Many people seem to think that amping doesn't make a huge difference this model - although they might be completely clueless i don't know :p

The other strange thing is that my friend is a bit of an audiophile and he seemed to like them a lot (he's had them at least 3years after all).

I can understand this would be the reason though. Just makes me wonder how so many people who are under-amping them are happy with the sound...

May 1, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #7 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
true...but I will also add that I know what the op is talking about. before I got the HD650 i was in a thought that they gonna be "fun",bassy sounding with maybe a little punch in them. I was totally wrong,I recognized that i am dealing with a very neutral,balanced sounding pair of headphones. not even talking of the 600 which considered as even more balanced/neutral.
I beleieve that amplification will make them sound much more refined and powerfull but it still won't change the general sound signature the op heard.
I will also add that the hd650 has a strange bump in the mid treble area which i find a little annoying....maybe that's what the op was talking about "high mids".

Not really sure what I was talking about with high mids :p just it was a bit harsh and cold...I go to orchestral and chamber concerts almost every week and this was definitely not a similar sound - but yes it must be an amping issue.

May 1, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #8 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You've been spoiled by your Quads.

If only someone could tell me the headphone equivalent it would save me a lot of uncertainty :p or even something with a similar sound signature!

I realise that speakers and headphones are a completely different kettle of fish though...

It may also have been, as suggested, that I have little experience with open 'phones...

May 1, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #9 of 44
To me, the Hd-600 is the most natural sounding headphone there is. Especially more so with certain instruments like a acoustic guitars etc. I've even compared them side by side with the AKG 702.

I will point out that, straight out of a laptop or a portable device they sound terrible, or close to that! Out of my IPOD touch, to my ears, they are nearly un-listenable. No offense to people that do this, but it's just not that good of sound quality.

Even with a really cheap amp the bass is reduced by a lot. This is what i've noticed the most.

They're easier to drive SOMEHOW then the AKG 702, but not by much. With a portable amp they sound good, but not great.

These headphones are definitely making me want to fork over the money for a desktop amp!

May 1, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #10 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by tdockweiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To me, the Hd-600 is the most natural sounding headphone there is. Especially more so with certain instruments like a acoustic guitars etc. I've even compared them side by side with the AKG 702.

I will point out that, straight out of a laptop or a portable device they sound terrible, or close to that! Out of my IPOD touch, to my ears, they are nearly un-listenable. No offense to people that do this, but it's just not that good of sound quality.

Even with a really cheap amp the bass is reduced by a lot. This is what i've noticed the most.

They're easier to drive SOMEHOW then the AKG 702, but not by much. With a portable amp they sound good, but not great.

These headphones are definitely making me want to fork over the money for a desktop amp!

Ok thanks for the advice
smily_headphones1.gif
definitely won't be judging them on this audition then.

Are the Beresford's headphone outputs not rated very highly round here then?

May 2, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #11 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You've been spoiled by your Quads.

Or the ESW9s. A very odd sounding headphone in my opinion- although i think they great with an Apogee Duet.

I didn't like my HD-600s till I got some decent amplification. (Burson HD-160 and Pico portable DAC/amp) Now they are my favorite headphone.

May 2, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #12 of 44
A lot of terrific gear is not impressive at first listen. However, a lot of colored gear grabs you up front.

If you spend a decent amount of time with the HD-600, you'll begin to notice how much they do right and how very little they do wrong.

May 2, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #13 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A lot of terrific gear is not impressive at first listen. However, a lot of colored gear grabs you up front.

If you spend a decent amount of time with the HD-600, you'll begin to notice how much they do right and how very little they do wrong.

Couldn't have said it better...

May 2, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #14 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree completely here.

The HD600's are marvelous cans. Technically, they are the most balanced and accurate I've heard. Their only weakness is with soundstage. There's not much of it. I've never tried them unamp'd.

May 2, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #15 of 44
Using my HD600 direct out of a laptop or portable player is an excruciating experience. I started my hi-fi listening with HD580s in this same way and still could appreciate the difference from my relatively terrible cheap phones at the time.

I moved up to the HD600 based on recommendations on this forum and found them better, but needing better amping. I started with a simple tube amp which sounded great, but I could tell there was much more yet to come. I moved up to a very powerful amplifier and it was as though I'd never heard these phones before.

People who say HD600 series phones don't change much between low power and high power amplifiers are simply wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back