HD600-Mini me
Jan 9, 2003 at 9:16 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by tigger
Thanks for all the advice. I have already purchased Porta Pro's

Then it is a no-brainer. Just get an Ety ER4S-4P converter cable. It really tames the bass, and evens out the overall sound. They will require a bit more volume as a result of the increase in resistance, but with a PortaCorda that will not be a problem.

Jan 9, 2003 at 9:34 PM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
Finally! Someone who agrees with me... Are you particularly big headed? Just a question because I am, and I wonder that's why it sounds good for some people... Or is it that they don't know what they're talking about
evil_smiley.gif
The interesting thing about the PXC250 is that with Noisegard off, it sounds terrible like the PX200. However flip Noisegard on, and it suddenly sounds a lot better... I was very surprised.

I think I have an average to slightly larger than average head. I didn't seem to have any fit problems with either the 100 or 200. I'm very surpised to see the generally positive reaction to these phones as well. If you look at the 100's FR curves that Headroom posted recently, they look a lot like they sound, too much bass and a seriously rolled off top end. The curve for the 200 looks different, with less bass, a prominent mid-range and a rolled off top end. I did like the 200 a little better, although it's still much too bassy despite the FR plots. As overpowering as you found the bass to be on the 200, the 100 is significantly worse. I believe Sennheiser was shooting for a Porta-Pro like sound with these phones. If you compare the 100's plots to those of the Porta-Pro they are quite similar. I'm not crazy about the Porta-Pro either, but I do like it quite a bit more than the PX's.

I guess a significant number of people like a lot of bass with a smooth (too smooth) top end. I didn't find the PX's to have an objectionable sound in the sense that I wanted to immediately stop listening. But I found them to be lifeless and to not involve me in the music at all. They might be fine for very casual background listening for many people. But even when I listen casually, I want to be able to hear ALL of the music and to be pulled into it.

Jan 9, 2003 at 10:26 PM Post #18 of 21
jpelg

Quote:

Then it is a no-brainer. Just get an Ety ER4S-4P converter cable. It really tames the bass, and evens out the overall sound. They will require a bit more volume as a result of the increase in resistance, but with a PortaCorda that will not be a problem.

Too late for that, I already gave them away to my daughter! Besides, like I said, the Senn's have spoiled me. The Porta Pros are too cheap and nasty for me, no offence.

Nice idea though.

Jan 9, 2003 at 10:30 PM Post #19 of 21
I have a set of Senn 495's and they're somewhat similar in sound to my 580's. They're not as refined and detailed as the 580's but they have the same general smooth Senn sound. The bass is a bit more boomy and the highs seem somewhat muffled compared to the 580's, but overall the sound is still quite good. I'm not sure if they still make them but it shouldn't be too hard to track a pair down.

Jan 9, 2003 at 10:35 PM Post #20 of 21
dinosauract

Quote:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I use the 580 at home and like the Senn 497 for "transportable" use. Its a medium size phone, not nearly as small as the Porta-Pro for example. However, I like its sound much more and is at least similar to the 580 / 600. It's a bit less refined and a little brighter, but I think its "in the same league" as the 580 or at least close to being so, considering its smaller size and lower price. Its also fairly easy to drive, and most portables should work fine.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This sounds promising. A family sound with the HD600 and easy to drive. Also less expensive and therefore not as stressfull to carry around. Thanks, dinosaur, this is exactly what I was looking for!

Jan 9, 2003 at 11:31 PM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by jpelg

Yes, I've been playing around with my ETY adapter cable that I bought from Todd R, across my various cans... and there is a suprising difference between having the adapter in, or out of the circuit
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Can't guarantee that it'll be a good 'mod' for all headphones... but certainly worth a try... especially how cheap the adapter cables are... Sweet
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back