HD600-Mini me
Jan 9, 2003 at 3:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

tigger

500+ Head-Fier
Sorry for the grabber, but I am having a very difficult time deciding on a suitable replacement for my HD 600's.
I love the sound, but need better portability and ease of drive from a portable CD player or Radio.

I have tried in vain the following:

1) Grado SR125-325. Too coloured/ aggresive.

2)Etymotic ER4S. Can't stand the isolation/ear discomfort

I am using a Porta Corda amp, Sony DEJ611 PCDP, and Grundig eTraveller AM/FM/SW radio.

What I am seeking is a substitute for the HD 600 with a very similar sound but better portability and easier drive capability from a portable.

Jan 9, 2003 at 3:23 AM Post #2 of 21
I don't think that there is anything with a similar sound to the HD600, portable, and easy to drive, you have already tried the more closer ones, V6 maybe (7506 Sony) the Etys, the Grados are the smaler in size but you don't like them, the Beyers are bigger, unless a model too far in quality form the HD600, the good Sonys unless the V6 are even bigger than the 600, Koss? I don't like them, and maybe the more suggested here is the KCS-35, now I think is out of production, and the sound is far from the HD600, according to the headfiers, (I never had tried it) Honestly the V6 is the only one that cross my mind now....i don't know if the 3 new models of the Senns are good or not, ask Jude that had tried them...Sorry...
mad.gif

Jan 9, 2003 at 3:42 AM Post #3 of 21
OK, here's a strange (not really) suggestion:

1. Get a pair of Koss Portapro's. You can still get them directly from Koss at 50%-off for a net of only $25 plus shipping.

2. Then get an Ety ER4P->S converter cable. You can get this from Etymotic now, or from Fixup (from where this idea originally comes). Put this in between the Koss' and your amp.

With the PortaCorda and a portable source, you will have some very nice sound. Not an HD600 mind you, but along the same vein, so to speak. Very decent.

Jan 9, 2003 at 3:46 AM Post #4 of 21
I second the porta pro. Very very nice phone. If I were less "stupid," I woulda taken the porta pros and been happy, but instead, I got a pair of HD580 as well. I must say that the porta pro holds its own against the 580. It's not as refined and neutral, of course, but the difference is quite minimal, and very far from being annoying to my ears. The sound is quite good. The price is quite alright as well
wink.gif
The only thing is that they're even more open than the 580/600. But seeing how it's easier to drive, I suppose it's also easier to bump things up and blast your brains out
redface.gif

Jan 9, 2003 at 3:51 AM Post #5 of 21
If you listen them with a really good source and amp maybe you will hear the difference betwen them, they are not in the same leage, sorry but I do not agree with that...

Jan 9, 2003 at 4:38 AM Post #6 of 21
Same league, no, but is the 580 13x better than my porta pro? (I got the porta pro for $10 and the 580 for $130) I must say that they aren't 13x better. All I'm saying is that the porta pro do sound very good and are a great value.

Jan 9, 2003 at 4:54 AM Post #7 of 21
Please again???....first he is asking for a similar sound to the HD600.....and I don't think the protapros is even similar....
And please this comparison is a ridiculous argument, I can get an earbud Sony here in the corner of my building for 99 cents, My question: Is your portapro ten times better??? Of course not!!!! is the Cardas cable 10 times better than the stock cable of the 580, NO! is the equinox 12 times better NO! But good cans cost money an MDR R10 cost 4000, is it 400 times better than the portapros, NO! or 4000 times better than this earbud NO!...the prices most of the times do not reflect quality...the better you go, the more expensive and hard is to get an improvement...

Jan 9, 2003 at 5:03 AM Post #8 of 21
rolleyes.gif
Ok, I'm walking away now.

Jan 9, 2003 at 6:09 AM Post #9 of 21
Personally, I find my KSC-35 to be much closer in its tonal qualities to my HD600 than my Sony V6. The V6 does something strange to the midrange that gives it an artificial, nasal quality. They were my first hi-quality headphones so I'm a little fond of them, but I find that I listen almost exclusively on my Koss and Senns now. I'm thinking of selling these V6's to upgrade to better closed phones.

Anyway, try to find a KSC-35 on Ebay or elsewhere. They sound good straight out of a portable, but the improvement an amp--even a mere CMOY-- makes even on these little things is astounding.

Jan 9, 2003 at 6:28 AM Post #10 of 21
Of the portable headphones I've tried, the KSC-50 is by far the closest sounding to the HD600, with the KSC-35 being next. I haven't tried the Portapro's but they have the same drivers and so should be nearly identical. So I disagree with Sovkiller and agree with many of the other comments. I don't think there is anything very similar in a closed, isolating headphone, but I haven't tried very many so someone else will have to comment.

Jan 9, 2003 at 7:30 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by ooheadsoo
Same league, no, but is the 580 13x better than my porta pro? (I got the porta pro for $10 and the 580 for $130) I must say that they aren't 13x better. All I'm saying is that the porta pro do sound very good and are a great value.

Lets not get into this again...

Jan 9, 2003 at 12:13 PM Post #12 of 21
Thanks for all the advice. I have already purchased Porta Pro's but find them tiring to listen to for any length of time.
The Sennheiser HD600 sound has spoiled me so I guess I'll try to find a small case to carry them around.
Or maybe I'll give those new PX100's a shot----------

Jan 9, 2003 at 12:23 PM Post #13 of 21
These won't reflect the HD600 but are things to consider
HD280: Inoffensive and quality soundwise, although you might get some funny looks
V6/7506: Good all-rounter, better for portable use, definitely rougher than the HD600 but it may not be too bad a compromise. Very bright, although not particularly grating.
I haven't liked the PX200 and haven't tried the 100, but the PXC250 with noisegard on is quite good for a tiny portable. The isolation is really something.

As for things which start to edge towards the HD600:
Audio-Technica ATH-A900: Well closed, easy to drive and definitely worthy of being lined up alongside the HD600 on its own merits. Check out Duncan's comparative review for more details. Comfy. Not really a portable, being bigger than the HD600 (the earcups are round as opposed to oval and stick out about the same, so they're bigger from the side) but is transportable, as I suppose the HD600 is!
biggrin.gif

Jan 9, 2003 at 1:16 PM Post #14 of 21
I've tried the Sennheiser PX-100 and 200. These are not even close to the Senn 580 / 600 in terms of tonal balance or quality. Both have WAY too much bass and are rolled off seriously on top, with the 100 being worse. They're the most disappointing phones I've ever tried.

I use the 580 at home and like the Senn 497 for "transportable" use. Its a medium size phone, not nearly as small as the Porta-Pro for example. However, I like its sound much more and is at least similar to the 580 / 600. It's a bit less refined and a little brighter, but I think its "in the same league" as the 580 or at least close to being so, considering its smaller size and lower price. Its also fairly easy to drive, and most portables should work fine.

Jan 9, 2003 at 9:10 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by dinosauract
I've tried the Sennheiser PX-100 and 200. These are not even close to the Senn 580 / 600 in terms of tonal balance or quality. Both have WAY too much bass and are rolled off seriously on top, with the 100 being worse. They're the most disappointing phones I've ever tried.

Finally! Someone who agrees with me... Are you particularly big headed? Just a question because I am, and I wonder that's why it sounds good for some people... Or is it that they don't know what they're talking about
evil_smiley.gif
The interesting thing about the PXC250 is that with Noisegard off, it sounds terrible like the PX200. However flip Noisegard on, and it suddenly sounds a lot better... I was very surprised.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back